Sb Mopar Head Casting Numbers

-

71SCAMPY

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Everyone I Have An Issue With Trying To Identify A Set Of Heads. They Came Off A 1990 318 Block They Are A Swirl Combustion Chamber 1.78 Int 1.5 Exh But The Only Numbers I Find On Them Are 714 And 10 And Thats It. Im Thinking They Are 302 Castings But Not Sure, I Have Checked All Of The Chrysler Listings For Casting Numbers But Have Not Found Any Info On These Heads. If Someone Knows What They Are Can You Please Give Me Some Info Thank You.

That is strange that there is no casting # either on the runner (underneath the valve cover) or on the runner (on the block side). I took a look at the charts i have and couldn't ID them either. Can you post pics (maybe a few close up ones as well)?

The casting number is often obscured by the rocker shaft. The casting number for the 302 head is 4323302. Unfortunately, my book only covers up to 1986, so I don't know how long the 302 was in production. For certain it was not the only head used on the 318 in 85 & 86. FWIW, the 302 came out on the 85 models.

Check under the head, in the middle of the head by the heat cross over.

I Know Where To Look I Was A Cylinder Head Tech A Number Of Years Back. I Have Seen Pics Of 302 Casting Heads And Im Gonna Say Thats What These Are, Why They Were On A 1990 318 Roller Cam Block I Have No Idea Unless They Were Replaced. When I Remaned These I Decked Them .025 So The Chambers Sould Be Around 57 Cc Or So Im Putting Them On A 318 Stroker .060 Over 4in Stroke 396cid Kb Flat Tops Comp Nostalgia Cam Dyno Says It Should Make Around 550hp If It Does I Will Be Happy.

No Its Not Pointless I Just Thought I Would Ask To See If Anyone Else Has Ran Across This Issue Thats All. So Maybe It Was Pointless For You To Respond. Because You Probably Dont Or Wouldnt Know Anyway Sir!

No Its Not Pointless I Just Thought I Would Ask To See If Anyone Else Has Ran Across This Issue Thats All. So Maybe It Was Pointless For You To Respond. Because You Probably Dont Or Wouldnt Know Anyway Sir!

OK, since this is now your response and start of a pissing match , your on. Get ready to be humbled jackass.

By your own words, you make yourself look stupid...SIR ... and though I tried to direct you to where you can find the numbers of your search (302) and you yourself said you have been in the biz as a tech...
I Know Where To Look I Was A Cylinder Head Tech A Number Of Years Back
And stating you have seen pictures of them
I Have Seen Pics Of 302 Casting Heads
You should know where to look and what numbers to decode and what the head numbers mean BUT you came to the general public to find more info because you were not sure and was given an answer as to you question only to have you throw stones at those who help you.

Heres some pictures of a 302 head... you ninny... and where to look as well as some diamentions for you lame a$$ to check out...dip chit head...LOL Lame-o-man!

Some head man you were....or wished you were. Your candy (Child like) *** is done.
NEXT!

Copy of 100_0616.JPG

100_0617.JPG

100_0619.JPG

100_0621.JPG

Oh I know where to look and nothing on the head even looks like 302 you NINNY, As I said I was wondering if anyone else has run across this before so chill the F out man. No need for ya to get all worked up were all just tryin to put nice cars together and have fun with em! Ther are some numbers on the rocker side of the head but but not casting numbers! And on the chmber side there is 714 on one pad and 10 on the other pad. I thought this was really weird seeing that I have never ran across this before and I have remand many mopar heads and yes I was damn good at it too!!!! I just thought this was a forum where you ASK QUESTIONS about certain things like CARS and CAR PARTS and sometimes we all run across strnge stuff! But maybe I was mistaken and thought wrong!!! So I am no longer going suport this site or anyone on it! For this is a lost cause as you so put it. So good day to everyone and happy cruzin to all even you RUMBLEFISH 360 :)

Hey, Justin. Glad to see the lobotomy is working out for you. Needs a little fine tuning though.

you will never see 550 horse out of fast burn heads or 302s the valves are way undersised as is the runners for the kind of flow it takes to make that kind of power and if you were going to say anyhthing about porting well lets just say your man doing the porting better have a whole lot of epoxy cause it will take massive ammounts of cutting

you will never see 550 horse out of fast burn heads or 302s the valves are way undersised as is the runners for the kind of flow it takes to make that kind of power and if you were going to say anyhthing about porting well lets just say your man doing the porting better have a whole lot of epoxy cause it will take massive ammounts of cutting
I'm totally with you on this one. in order to make 550horse. these heads would need to flow a good 275cc. which I've seen J heads struggle with. so.. good luck :)

You guys do know there are 2 versions of the '302 style fast burn head, right?
'302 and '714.
Either way, they are worthless junk that I scrap without hesitation.

Mark.

71scampy- there was no reason to tell Rumblefish he doesn't know what he's talking about....he's a MODERATOR here, and obviously very knowledgable about Small Block Mopars....a little bit of time on the forum would more than prove that to you.

I have dealt with alot of 302' casting heads, and they all have the casting number on them....if you can't post up pictures to substantiate your claim that the only numbers on the heads are 714 - and 10...then you need to just wait till you can...cause you may have some replacement heads off a 273 or something.

ALL roller engines are black, what color are your wonder heads? if they are ANY COLOR BUT BLACK they aren't 302's.

It takes extensive modifications to make a 302' head flow 275 cfm...so get ready to sink some dough into whatever they are....I know....I had a 88' Roller 318, STD. bore, STD Stroke dyno'd LONG BEFORE HotRod did it, and it made over 400hp/420 ft lbs. of torque.

I used Stainless 1.88/1.60 valves and .550" dual springs with dampners, and there was nearly $250 in just machine work BEFORE I home ported them.

Good luck, none the less.

You guys do know there are 2 versions of the '302 style fast burn head, right?
'302 and '714.
Either way, they are worthless junk that I scrap without hesitation.

Mark.

hey mark you might try to sell some of those "302's on here as it seems somebody is always looking for some at just about any given time....just a thought

hey mark you might try to sell some of those "302's on here as it seems somebody is always looking for some at just about any given time....just a thought
EXACTLY! They aren't rare but do have value as NHRA allows certain cars to run them. I can for instance use them on my 273 stocker and they are an upgrade to the 273 heads. With a factory 4 bbl, stock iron intake and these heads are good for 11's. One mans junk is another mans treasure.:cheers:

Ok guy's I have a cylinder head question (to get off the subject of the 302 heads) I have a set of early 360 heads. I've been keeping these heads at my dads house until I am able to get them on my motor. The last three numbers on the heads are 915. I think the year on the side of the block was 72 if I remember correctly. My question is I've heard these heads flow as good as a set of early 340 heads (factory no porting polishing ect) is this true?

Ok guy's I have a cylinder head question (to get off the subject of the 302 heads) I have a set of early 360 heads. I've been keeping these heads at my dads house until I am able to get them on my motor. The last three numbers on the heads are 915. I think the year on the side of the block was 72 if I remember correctly. My question is I've heard these heads flow as good as a set of early 340 heads (factory no porting polishing ect) is this true?

yes. even though they have smaller valves in the intake side thier velocity is higher thus makeing up for the smaller valves. they will fall off in the upper ranges 6000 +. if you plan on running this rpm range then add the 2.02 intake valves back....with porting and polishing these can be even better....

So these heads that ends with 714. What kind of heads are they?

I was planning to buy some heads and the seller told me that the 714 is the same as 302.

Is that correct?

302 is auto, 714 is truck?

-
Back