SB RPM air-gap/cross winds

-

Dakota_Don

Reaction score
Has anyone heard this or experienced this.

I called a company to recurve the MP dist for my stroker, and after I gave him the specs they asked " how does it idle" I said kinda rough, I think its in the carb or dist, why do you ask? He said cuz the RPM airgap and the crosswinds port runners are to large and the engine will idle rough. He went on to say he has seen it many times in chevys and mopars, he also said i should use the RPM performer.

I have never heard this before abouth either of the 2 intakes.
Anyone else ?

my specs are 410, cr is 9.7, cam is XE274H 230/236 488/491 with the cross winds , 770 holley, ported cast heads with 2.02 int, and headers.

With a 410 ci engine the runners being too big is not your issue. You do want to keep port velocities up, but given your engine and cam specs I really don't think thats your problem, you should be able to support an air gap. I would think you still need to tune in your carb or timing.

I ran the same intake on a 318 with magnum heads and low (in the 8's compression) along with an air gap on my 360, also magnum heads and low compression and have never had any idle issues. Both engines idled at 800 with no issues or large lopes....and both had the Summit K6901 cam which is only slightly milder than yours.

thanks, i kinds thought that was BS.. but i know people on here would know,, I have the MSD E curve coming to eleiminate his crap, and then ill try tuning the carb..

I have the same intake and carb with a sb stroker. I have a slightly bigger cam and it idles smooth at 700 in gear. What kind of initial timing are you running?

Tom

with the old dist i had about 16-20.. but it needs recurved and a vac unit installed, thats when i called this guy and he told me its my intake.. So now i have a MSD E-curve dist on the way.. I am not sure what i should actully set my timing at.. if anyone knows let me know or how i can set it up with the E-curve,

-
Back