SB stroker - looking for advice on engine builder

-

AUS_Duster

Reaction score
I am in the market to buy a new 340 stroker engine. I have read numerous negative comments about Indy so I think I will give them a miss.

Anyone had any experience with other builders? Muscle motors etc. I live in Australia so I need someone reputable as its not really practice to fix a problem with a poorly built motor.

Looking to spend around $10,000.

Any advise or horror stories appreciated

Brian,IMM Machine. Indio ,California. Goes by OU812 here. He's done a few over the ponds.Check out "IMM machines" on whatever your search engine is. He is a small block drag racer.

If I didn't have a very good friend that runs his own performance machine shop I would be dealing with Mike at MRL ( Brian at IMM if I lived out west). I did some research on both of them and they are two of the top guys to deal with. We are blessed to have them here sharing so much knowledge for free.

Brian's a good bet - and close to the west coast. I've got a friend in Australia and shipping effort and costs IMO need to be a factor in your decision. Shipping a crated engine cross-country to get to the container can add $500 to a bill quickly.

I appreciate the vote! We can help if you'd like.
immengines.com
Brian

Brian's a good bet - and close to the west coast. I've got a friend in Australia and shipping effort and costs IMO need to be a factor in your decision. Shipping a crated engine cross-country to get to the container can add $500 to a bill quickly.

Friend had HEMI shipped from PA (Barton) to AZ, think FedEx freight got him for $250....

MRL,or IMM engines. Both excellent to deal with.

Im with this guy.
On another note there is plenty of good machine shops and builders here in Melbourne. Not so much mopar experience but good shops. To assemble an engine or degree a cam is similar practise on all engines if you know what im talking about.
I put engines together on a daily, I can give you some tips if ya wanna pm me.

This will be the engine I will drop in my Dart when I get the funds.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216632

I have purchased a set of RHS heads and valve from Mike in the past with no problems, very good service.

Remember on top of shipping from the states you will be required to pay 10% GST & 5% import duty based on the purchase price.
My shipper quoted $450.00 aus to ship from Cali to Perth.

Pay your 10000 for your motor just have him write you up a bill for 4000

Thanks for the tips. I have shipped engines before and one lasted 200 miles (eBay) so I'm looking for someone reputable. It's hard finding anyone with good mopar knowledge. I know they are all just air pumps at the end of the day, but I don't want to be the one to pay for someone to learn the difference between a Chevy and Mopar engine!

Pay your 10000 for your motor just have him write you up a bill for 4000
Yeah........I might even get a little sneakier.
Ship it as used engine parts or a used engine and de-value it as much as you dare. Actually , you aren't cheating with " used engine " since it will have dyno time. :D
Shipping from California to Oz will be cheapest I bet , but if you ship from a major hub ( most any large city ) the costs won't be too much different.
There are a couple builders with stellar reputations and magazine exposure....Brian at IMM being one of them.

I decided I'm going to buy all the parts in US and have it built here in Oz. The Aussie dollar has tanked :( Thanks for the tips.

Hi, I live on Long Island New York, U.S.A. I've been dealing with a very well respected and successful engine builder for years by the name of Jack Merkel. He was a very successful racer in the 60's and has a lot of experience with Mopars. His son Scott and him run a very good Race Engine shop. They have built my Hemi twice and have recently built my Stroker 340. Many of my Mopar friends use them exclusively for their engine work. They are very knowledgeable down to earth honest people. Do some research on Jack Merkle. He is very well respected in the industry. They are located at 1720 Express Drive South, Hauppauge New York. Their phone number is (631) 234-2600. Scott pretty much runs the operation these days but Jack still has his hands involved with daily operations. My 340 runs very well, and my Hemi has been extremely running strong for over 20 years. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good Luck, Joe Arceri

Keith Davidson Race Engineering.

Operates his own 1 man shop in Romsey, Victoria with all the gear, arguably the best engine guy in the state.

He built my mild little 318 which made 352 hp and 367 tq with stock 340 heads and a comp thumpr cam which I chose. fantastic value for money and a wealth of information. Great attention to detail and loves mopars (even if he has a hard time admitting it lol)

He built the 265 in Michael Hibbert's group NC charger, a VERY VERY competitive machine in a class which is ordinarily dominated by V8's of all sizes.

You will probably need to source an engine block for him to work with, is there any particular reason why you want a 340? if you're stroking it the 360 is far more prominent here and has bigger main bearings.

Keith Davidson can be contacted on 0401 533 564 during business hours.

If he doesn't answer, leave a message. please keep in mind he is very busy but he usually returns a call within about half an hour or so.

This will be the engine I will drop in my Dart when I get the funds.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=216632

I have purchased a set of RHS heads and valve from Mike in the past with no problems, very good service.

Remember on top of shipping from the states you will be required to pay 10% GST & 5% import duty based on the purchase price.
My shipper quoted $450.00 aus to ship from Cali to Perth.

You only have to pay GST and import tax on items with a value of $1000 AUD or more.

So this usually means buying once cylinder head at a time, etc.
then an intake and a carb.
then pistons.
then stroker crank + rods etc etc

At least that's how I do it.

Summit racing is your friend.

-
Back