SB Timing chain indexing question

-

dilley340

Reaction score
In my Hayes repair manual it says to take the #6 piston to TDC on the compression stroke to install my timing chain. Does this sound right... why not #1 piston? At this point I don't have the lifters or pushrods in, so can't I just align the dots on the sprockets?

We really need to hash this over again ? It dont make any difference.
The only difference is what book you have and who made the dots on the gears. The crank dot goes at 12 oclock position. Cam dot will be at 12 oclock on #6 compression stoke or 6 oclock on #1 compression stoke.
Bottom line either is correct in crank cam relation. Only the distributer can be half a round wrong.
All this stems from Ford, GM, most all, placing both dots at 12 oclock. Chrysler put the 2 dots closer together buy moving the cam dot straight down to 6 oclock.

I know and I'm sorry my attitude spilled over into the post.
I may have even gotten some of that abckward but... Mopar did use a slightly different method to the madness in assembly. The only advantage is the cam sprocket is a little easier to slip on with that key turned down.
Anyway... If there were a misprint that caused serious damage in one of those books it would surely be corrected by now.
Best plan is just ignore me and follow the books instructions.
Good luck

Bring #6 to TDC and see where #1 is... you might be surprised.

If you set one piston up at TDC, the piston 4 spaces away in the firing order will also be at TDC. One is on the start of the power stroke, the other is on the start of the intake cycle.

Just line up the dots. And if it's a multiple keyed sprocket, make sure you get the right ones lined up. Simple as that.

-
Back