SBM MPG Challenge

-

viperredduster

Reaction score
Well I plan on pulling the 360 out of my car and putting it in a dakota r/t body style with a 2.45 gear or 2.76 with about a 29 inch tire. It should weigh around 3,800 and will be lowered. With EZ efi feeding the OOTB eddys and a small flat cam do you think 20mpg is achieveable at about 2k rpms at 70?

PS Diesel is killing me.

Save some time. I'll sell you this. LOL! I'm serious. It's up for sale.

Well I imagine that it wouldnt save me money haha, plus I would still have a good motor/tranny/converter waiting for something. But what are some details on it?

Drop the engine in a Dodge D50 instead. Smaller & Lighter than the Dakota and if you get a First Gen 50 (1979 - 1986) way more aerodynamic and stylish too. It wouldn't be unheard of to 25 or better in a 1st Gen D50 with a Small Block and airplane gears.

I got 27 - 29mpg out of a 2.6L D50 4x4 with a 5-Speed, I miss that truck.

If high mpg is your goal, why not use a V6 engine ?

2.45 gears and 29 inch tire, its going to be a snail off the line. My little Saturn will pass you by and I get 21 mpg with a heavy right foot

Drop the engine in a Dodge D50 instead. Smaller & Lighter than the Dakota and if you get a First Gen 50 (1979 - 1986) way more aerodynamic and stylish too. It wouldn't be unheard of to 25 or better in a 1st Gen D50 with a Small Block and airplane gears.

I got 27 - 29mpg out of a 2.6L D50 4x4 with a 5-Speed, I miss that truck.

Well I just like the look of the dakotas, espcially once lowered and put on a nice set of wheels (CCWs or Vipers). Plus I am hoping to find a late model truck with nice paint and interior to buy and just swap my stuff into it. But yeah those trucks do get some good mpgs for sure!

If high mpg is your goal, why not use a V6 engine ?

2.45 gears and 29 inch tire, its going to be a snail off the line. My little Saturn will pass you by and I get 21 mpg with a heavy right foot

I already have this mildly build motor/tranny/converter combo coming out of my car which ran 11.71, plus I want to truck to still be a hot rod. And I bet I could still start in second and take that saturn down!

Well I just like the look of the dakotas, espcially once lowered and put on a nice set of wheels (CCWs or Vipers). Plus I am hoping to find a late model truck with nice paint and interior to buy and just swap my stuff into it. But yeah those trucks do get some good mpgs for sure!

True, it would be almost impossible to find a 1st Gen D50 with nice paint & interior anymore. Those poor trucks had hard lives and got abused badly.

2nd gens (1987 - 1993) are easier to find in decent shape, but they just don't look as nice as a 1st Gen (especially the Quad Headlight 1st gens)

My '84 4x4 D50 once had a 2.5L Intercooled Turbo Diesel in it, 40+ MPG in a 4x4 truck, 230hp/300ft lbs wasn't a bad little critter... until a balancing shaft locked up, starved the oil flow to various components in the engine (while still registering pressure on the mechanical gauge) and trashing the #2 piston and cylinder.

The 2.5L was originally a 2.3L from a factory Turbo Diesel D50 I used to own, sourced the crankshaft, rods & pistons from Canada to convert my 2.3 to a 2.5

I yanked it out, dropped in a 2.6L gas engine, Ran it for 2 months and then yanked the 2.6L out and dropped in a Chrysler 273 Small Block & 904. No idea what the mileage is now, I'm still putting it back together. But I can bet the mileage is going to suck, since the truck has 6" of lift and 40" tires on it.

My '87 4x4 D50 was the one that brought me 27 - 29mpg, when it died, I replaced it with a '92 4x4 Dakota Clubcab with a 5.2/A518... gets 15mpg on a good day, if i've got a good wind pushing me downhill.

The '87 had a twin, mine was a Longbed 4x4 5-speed. it's brother was an '87 5-Speed 4x4 with a 9' Dumpbed (both trucks also had snow plows), the '87 Dumptruck managed to bring in a decent 25 - 27mpg, but it also had a bone stock 2.6L (the 2.6 in my '87 Longbed had a header, a custom ground camshaft and a non-jet valve head that had been milled for more compression)

-
Back