SBP Disc conversion keeping the Drum spindles?

-

4spd340Swinger

Reaction score
Anyone know of a conversion kit where I keep my SBP spindles? I found one online but can't seem to locate it again. Thanks

Do you want to keep the SBP also. If so, a friend of mine just installed a set on his 72 Duster. Look up W1537BK at Classic Industries.

I do want to keep the SBP because of my wheels. I take a look. Most don't seem to fit the 10" drum spindles. Thanks!!!

When you're looking at the various different kits out there, there's a couple of really important things to check if you want to keep your current set of wheels. The first one is easy, make sure the wheel diameter requirement is going to work for you. Pretty much all of the kits will work with 15" wheels, but not all of them will work with 14" wheels. So if you're keeping 14" wheels make sure the kit you choose will work with those.

The second thing you need to pay attention to is a little less advertised, so you'll probably have to look it up in the specs for the kit. But you need to know the hub diameter on the rotor. The current wilwood kits are especially bad for this, they have a very large hub diameter and require the hub bore on the wheels to be 3.050". None of the factory wheels have a hub bore that large. So if you're trying to keep a set of factory drum wheels, or even a lot of the reproductions of factory wheels, you'll be limited again in which kit you use.

I wouldn't run the lower ball joints you need for the 9" drum spindles on the street, so I don't understand spending any amount of money if those spindles have to be retained. The 10" drum spindles already used a better lower ball joint, so if you've got a 10" drum spindle then the disk conversion kits to keep the 5x4" pattern make a lot more sense.

I ran the 9” inch scarebird kit for years with no trouble, but if I were to do it again I would find a set of 10 inch spindles.... more heavy duty bearings and lower ball joint.

Look up W1537BK at Classic Industries. Used 10" drum brake spindles with 5 x 4" 14" wheels or larger.

Look up W1537BK at Classic Industries. Used 10" drum brake spindles with 5 x 4" 14" wheels or larger.

That was an SSBC kit, SSBC is out of business and was bought out so it's likely the new company providing the parts. It basically uses the KH calipers and other KH parts for a Mustang with a few items converted for use on Mopars.

It's not a bad kit at all, it ends up being almost the same as the original SBP KH disks that these cars had originally. But given the history I would be a little concerned about the future availability of rotors and a couple of the other conversion specific parts. Most of the stuff in that kit is just Mustang KH stuff, which is good. But a couple of parts require machining as part of the conversion, so if the new company goes under you might have to figure out what they did as part of the conversion of the mustang parts to replace stuff later.

FYI, I installed the SSBC kit on my car. The factory 14" X 5 1/2" Rallye wheels fit. However, the factory 14" X 5 1/2" Steel wheels do not clear the calipers.

-
Back