sbp wheels cause high brake temp?

-
im goin to upgrade to discs up front and bigger drums in back (since i have a /6 so prolly 9" drums all around). he give me the whole "ive been doin this 40+ years" schpeil. xactly whats you definition of roadrace though?

Road race means closed course with left and right turns, elevation changes, reverse camber turns. SBP wheels are notoriously flexible. The cornering loads (g-force) at speed can cause even a 13" wheel to shed a full wheel cover.

To say that SBP cause high brake temps is very inaccurate. What would this 40-year veteran says about GM A-bodies and their 9" brakes and 4.75" bolt pattern? (Hint: They weighed 300-600 lbs than the Mopar A-body and packed big blocks rated up to 375 hp. IMO those brakes were one-hit wonders.)

Ralley wheels are thicker and stiffer than regular wheels. They also have the cooling slots. I regularly took my 64 Cuda with KH manual discs to 140 mph and back without any over heating or poor brake life. I did not road race it so that is out of my experience. The rings on the back of the rims were a running change by year not brake application , I believe. I have also heard that the 9 inch brakes are very weak and should be replaced with 10 inch drum or a Disc setup as soon as possible. Something about attaching bolts breaking?

Any brakes get hot, nature of the beast. There was a time when those who lived in the mountains would get the asbestos linnings so hot that the bonding would turn loose. Riveted linnings were the only cure. More modern linnings handle those extreme temps much better.

The mounting tabs I believe are the same, but since the KH calipers are 2 piece, the opposing half may be different. It's been a while since I have seen them side by side. I don't think corvette or mustang calipers will simply just bolt on.

-
Back