scammer got me! help

-

freshayr

Reaction score
I had a strange thing happen today. sombody accessed my ebay account and fraudulently listed a car for sale using my username. They racked up $176 in listing fees. I got a email from ebay notifing me that they suspended my account and reversed the listing fees because they relized is was a scam. My question - How could somebody get my password? Ebay is saying I could have responded to a phising email. I know I didn't do that. I recognize those and don't ever respond. I also know my password is unique and somebody couldn't just get lucky and guess it. They are saying my email account through mu ISP could have been compromised and they requested a password through the forgot password procedure. Yet, they don't show a password request. Lastly they said a virus could recorded my keystrokes. I would like your opinion/idea on this and what steps I should take. I have paypal accounts etc, that I need to protect. This is scarey stuff. BTW- they listed a 69 camaro with a BIN of 6400. I never saw the actual listing. Any ideas on how this was done? I see those scam ebay auctions all the time and think who actually loses their user id and now it happened TO ME!

Sorry to hear of your dilemna.

I'm in the IT Security field, and there are numerous ways that your ebay account could have been compromised.

You could contact your IS provider and discuss the dilemna. They may be able to do some forensics work to determine if your IP was accessed without your knowledge. This would involve looking into their server event logs, as a start.

If you are not running an up-to-date, patched PC, please take the time to do that. If you are a Windows user, Microsoft offers a free software update service that you should participate in.

You should also, of course, run a firewall(s), anti-virus S/W that is regularly updated, anti-spam S/W that is also regularly updated.

You should NEVER - EVER responded to emails from sources that you did not expect to receive email from, if you were not expecting mail at that time, from that source.

NEVER - EVER open suspicious email annd like-wise do not ever follow any suspicious link or attachment in any such email.

You can look in your PC's event log to see if someone scanned your PC, looking for an open port or a vulnerabilty.

Regularly visit legitimate sites like Symantec, Cnet, and the like, then read the literature on computer security, following the recommendations.

Only YOU should know your password to your PC; NO ONE ELSE including family.

If you are conducting financial business transactions, you need to take every precaution I outlined above. Otherwise, you are risking your financial records to compromise.

Hope this helps.

Thanks VS,
The only thing on that list that I am unsure if I have is a firewall. Does Norton anti virus 2006 act as a firewall?

no that is virus protection only! a firewall helps to keep people from getting inside your pc. like a fence or wall. it will tell you if you are being scanned or attacked. belive me there is alot going on that you can't see happening. the firewall and the virus protection go hand and hand. you need both! you are lucky this has not happened sooner....

Vs29H1B said:
Sorry to hear of your dilemna.

You can look in your PC's event log to see if someone scanned your PC, looking for an open port or a vulnerabilty.

Hope this helps.

how do i look at the event log?

how about windows firewall. I just checked and I see mine is turned off. don;t know why.

there are viruses and trojans that will turn off certian systems if you are not protected enough. they do this so that they can pull off information out of your computer without you knowing about it.....

Freshayr, I would go to Microsoft`s website and download every piece of security they offer. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If the scammers out there would put their efforts into working, (like they do scamming), they could make a decent living the honest way!

-
Back