Scamp 318 2bbl trouble getting started

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
My '71 scamp has been difficult to start lately and I'm not sure what the problem is. The car is basically stock, and I run a rochester 2GC 2 bbl. I say this because it is surely a fuel issue. After the car has sat overnight, it usually will turn over just long enough to suck down whats left in the bowls and then die. I've checked the fuel filter and manually throttled the carb and fuel is there, but even after priming the carb to get it to start, the 318 still runs awful for the first couple of minutes and requires lots of feathering of the gas. The 318 is original with 58k, so plenty of blue smoke comes with this process as well. After a smooth idle is achieved, re-start is not a problem, but would like to fix this as I have a cruise night coming up and don't want to be left high and dry. Thought I'd question the pros on this one. Thanks for your help.

Hook up some fuel line to the pump and stick the other in a gas can and see if it still does it. If not start looking at gunk in tank, plugged sock on sending unit etc.

If it still does it then look at fuel pump, any old rubber hose that could have collapsed inside.

Did replace fuel line from hard line to pump recently. The pump was my thought but why only a hard start and initial idle? Runs fine after warm up and will readily start afterwards.

Check the fuel pump first like mentioned above, some just don't have the pumping ability to start if it's sat for a while and the fuel bowls are empty and require cranking for a while. I have to physically fill the bowls if my car has sat for a while. Might need a new pump or push rod if it's mechanical. Other than that check all of your filters including pick up sock... I also don't like having a filter in between the pump and the carb, some say putting it before the pump helps

the fuel line to the carb loses pressure from a weak pump. once you get gas up to it, the carb can actually siphon the fuel with the aid of the weak pump. after it sits, the fuel bleeds back and then the pump has to work to get the fuel back into the carb.

thats my theory anyway

I has some symptoms of choke pull-off failure. It might be over choking at startup, then slowly opens with the choke thermostat. That is why it gets better when warmed up. Take the air cleaner off and inspect. You should be able to override the pull-off by hand to check the theory. With normal operation, the pull-off opens the choke a correct amount, as soon as engine vacuum is present. A leak in the pull-off, or a binding linkage, are typical failure modes.

Rochester....There's your problem.
Put a Carter bbd on it. Problem solved.

Fuel pump has been ordered. Will check choke theory tomorrow. Carter, yes. It's an all-original '71. What else can I say? Thanks all. Big help. Will update if no progress.

Weak fuel pump, something to keep in mind how much gas do you have in it?
Mine runs out at a 1/4 tank.
When I bought my car the gauge said empty.
Added 5 gallons the gauge went to 1/4.
After a few months I was driving home and the car ran out of gas at 1/4 tank.

That's another story all together. Fuel gauge doesn't work and usually can only get about three gallons in until fuel backs up and knocks pump off. Many theories about this, but hopefully new pump corrects my problem.

Did you ever solve the problem? Just curious as I'm having a similar issue myself since the weather has turned colder.

-
Back