Scamp intrepid cross over issues

-

tpan180

Reaction score
Hello I'm wanting to do a swap on a 1975 Plymouth Scamp it has the 225 /6 in it. I was just given a 1998 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5 L V6. Both cars are auto trans. My biggest issues in this project so far is the Intrepid is front wheel drive and my Scamp is rear wheel drive. Motor mount issues are posing a problem as well. I thought about converting the scamp into fwd but I dont see any real way to do that. I have also thought about getting a rwd trans but I am not to sure what kind of trans would bolt up to this 3.5L engine that would be rwd. I do know for sure I want to keep it automatic. Can any one give me some advice or is this a lost cause?

i think you would have to have a special engine to trans adapter made, but will be horribly exspensive.

one of the few engines that are transverse is a mitsubishi eclipse 2.0 turbo, and you and buy a readily availible adapter to run a gm trans or run a rx7 trans and make the car rwd

The LH cars use a "front to back" installation with the transaxle. Then the axles come out to each wheel. If you were saavy you could swap the entire cradle, strut, and rack and pinion setup into the Dart. Or, if you've got some really good weed, stick the whole thing in the trunk :D. Why one might do this I have no idea at all. I can't imagine the time and effort to get it in and running. But, anything could be done. I know of a local guy who made a Rampage 4wd by installing a 2.2L Turbo I in the engine bay, and another in the bed and connecting the transaxles up to one shifter. Took him two years to do, and ran for a short time. But he did get it to run and drive.

seems like alot of work for ?????????????? :angry7: JMO

225 hp, that's what for!

Ever driven an Intrepid? Not a bad performer and pretty good on fuel as well. I think the 3.5 has a RWD trans as used in the 300C and similar. Would be an interesting swap.

i had 2 intrepids , one had a 3.3 and the other a 2.7, neither one of them would have been worthy of a swap in my opinion .my friend has the 3.5,it is a sweet motor with lots of power, i thought it made 250 hp, but not positive. they gotta make upgrades for the 3.5 since they used it in the prowler. seems like it would be a cool swap for economy and daily driving,not to mention if you blow it up , a replacement would be easy and cheap to find. more of a project than i would want to tackle though.

I'm in in the re-build the slant idea.....dependable and you can afford to drive it. Mpg's matter now days

It's a lost cause.
Either build the slant 6 or go for a v8.
You are opening a big bag of snakes trying to do this swap.
What are you trying to achieve?
My 2 cents.
Tom.

I think you should go for it...it would be a sweet project...

A while back someone else tossed the idea out here with the first major road block being the trans...I think someone said that there was a rear wheel drive trans from a truck ( mitsubushi ? ) that would bolt right up to the 3.5 and it would work great...

I used to own a 2000 Intrepid with the 3.2 and that thing could go! I drove a couple of 3.5 and they seemed even more responsive. I'd like to see where this goes...

First I'd make a call to Trans-dapt and see what they come up with. Years back they would make anything fit anything, I don't know if they still do 1-offs, but they might have something. A custom adapter plate shouldn't be terribly expensive if you can find a local machinist to do it for you, the trick will be to find a trans that is close.
I had an intrepid with the 3.5 and it was great, I even toyed with the idea of a rear-engine, 4w-steer dune buggy, but too many projects and somebody made me an offer...

I don't really see any benefit to doing that swap. A modern Hemi , yes, but not a 3.5. Had neighbors for a while who had a 98 Intrepid which was rated at about 250 horsepower. She had her "baby" which was a 83 Shelby Charger 2.2 turbo. And he had a 194? military jeep which he was in the process of putting a 340 in. Anyway they would take the Intrepid and Charger to the track on the run what you brung night and race each other. It would depend on the night who would beat who but they always had time tickets for mid 17s. BORING!!!

the 3.5l will bolt right up to a trans out of a charger or 300 with a 3.5l in it and that would give you the rear wheel drive

The 3.5 is in the same class as the 3.8 Jeep engine. They have a really good transmission in the 42RLE. It's a fancy 904 overdrive. The 2wd wrangler from 2007 and up have them. I THINK that they are the same bellhousin pattern as the 3.0, 3.3 and 3.5. All those are sister engines with the 3.8.

the 3.5l will bolt right up to a trans out of a charger or 300 with a 3.5l in it and that would give you the rear wheel drive

Ya I'm all for putting the 3.5 in there I drove a R/T Intrepid with a 3.5ho it was 255hp and was fast like a scared rabbit would be good on fuel and be fun to drive more power than a 318. Just gear it right.:cheers:

More power than a stock 318. But you can build up the 318 or even a 360 or even go BB. How many perfomence parts do they have for a 3.5? I would think not much.

Well, lookin at it another way, he would have modern EFI, a nice overdrive transmission....and it's really not fair to say the 3.5 is not a performance engine. Were it a 3.5 and had a non computerized two barrel carbureted induction system, it would be lacking indeed. As it is, for WHAT it is, it's a fire breather. Those little V6s will haul butt. My wife has a 3.0L Ford Escape that'll flat move it. Course it has four cams and 24 valves, but those 3.5s ain't no slouches. The OP also needs to remember to gear appropriately. Those things generally had a 4.1 or lower gearset. With the overdrive, you can get by with it and with the little 60 degree V6 you'll NEED it.

Indeed. There's gonna be some fabbin involved. I think it's worth investigatin.

-
Back