Scamp Transmission noise

-

KJoeZ61

Reaction score
My 71 Scamp with a 360 and 904 transmission started making this noise real bad today after a long hour or so drive. It was a hot day about 85 or so. I've heard this before stopped at lights but not like this. Today when we got home it was doing it in Park, neutral, reverse and forward gears. I had the trans serviced about 2000 miles ago but that was also 3 years ago. The engine was rebuilt about 1,500 miles ago and we replaced the flex plate at that time, had a slight crack. I was told it has a 2500 rpm stall converter when I bought it, but I'm not sure.

Why did the noise change at :07? When the trans was "serviced" did they just suck out the fluid or did they drop the pan and change the filter? A clogged filter whines..but so does low power steering fluid.

The noise changed because I moved the phone closer to the underside. I’m pretty sure the filter was changed. And it’s definitely not the ps.

Pull the pan and verify the filter is the correct one, isn't plugged and that it's on correctly.
Obviously make sure it's full of fluid.

Going to Change the filter and oil, hopefully in the next week or so. The cars not going anywhere till then. I was just looking through some stuff and realized when we put the motor back I used a cheap flex plate. Not a balanced one for a 360. Could this be an issue?

It seems to drive okay, and goes into gear fine. And the noise isn't as loud in any gear as it is in N or P. Almost sound like a faint siren, in and out.

To me it kindof sounds like one of the bands is dragging on a drum. But at a stop the geartrain is all stopped, so IDK
If it sounds the same in both P and N then Ima thinking it's hydraulic noise, not mechanical, but still IDK.

Probably but more likely a steel ball in the hydraulic circuit is buzzing, IDK why tho. While the pan is off you can check to be sure the bands are still properly anchored,and still have braking material on them, that the servos are still in one piece and the L/R has not flipped and then adjust both bands.

Yoo khan doo eet! (And the 360 flexplate isn't imbalanced, just the converter. If it was out of balance, believe me, you'd know it!)

-
Back