Scams are heating up

-

Les Gibson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of scams going on out there right now. I almost got caught up in one last weekend. I've been trying to find a couple of good used replacement windows for my motorhome. Saw a listing on FB marketplace by a guy in Nevada claiming to have two of the same make as mine that he was parting out. Contacted him and initially everything seemed to be on the up and up. He asked for the info on my motorhome and asked for measurements so he could make sure what he had would fit mine. A couple days later he got back to me and said his would fit my motorhome. I asked him if he could ship them to me and he said he would. Asked for a price including shipping which he gave me. I thought it was reasonable so I asked him what forms of payment he accepted. And this is when things started running up red flags. I told him I could pay him via paypal. He said he didn't have a paypal account. I told him I could overnight mail him a cashiers check and could i get his business address. All of a sudden the wording in his responses started looking like they were being made by someone who didn't speak or write english well. Now I was getting curious. He comes back to me that he has a friend who has paypal. I said great, give me their email so I could send payment. He gives me the email address and it's someone in England. I told him that I wasn't going to send payment to a foreign country. He then tries to re-assure me that his friend can be trusted. I said no, I'm not comfortable sending this payment to a foreign country. He says okay, I understand, let me see what else I can do. Five minutes later he sends me another email address and this time it's for someone in an eastern Europe country. At that point I knew I was being scammed so I shut everything down and blocked this guy. Everyone, please be careful out there.

It’s no longer just an individual guy, now they’re setting up entire “companies”

Glad you didn't fall for it, Les. Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar situation on Facebook Marketplace. A guy was selling parts and I messaged him about a steering wheel. He got back to me and asked how I would pay. I offered PayPal. He said one moment and came back and said, "That's strange my PayPal is not working right. I can see if my son's account is working. He asked if I had any other options for payment". At this point bells were going off in my head, so I said no I only use PayPal. He came back and said, "ok my sons is working but he will only accept payment if it is through Friends and Family method" At that point i politely declined and said I was not comfortable with the transaction. He got belligerent with me after that, so I blocked him at that point. They try to suck you in and make you feel like you are in the wrong for doubting them.

They're so damned good at being shitty. If they put that brainpower to something else, we would've cured cancer by now.

I keep saying that wanted ads just invite scammers. I won't deal with anyone that doesn't have a long history here.

PayPal fees for international transactions are also higher than domestic ones. Currency conversions are also involved.
You were right to be wary.

I keep saying that wanted ads just invite scammers. I won't deal with anyone that doesn't have a long history here.
time served isn't always the best judgement. i've got a guy who's been here a long time ghosting me going on a month after paying him for parts.

trust your instincts and assess what level of risk you're willing to take before parting with your hard earned cash.

time served isn't always the best judgement. i've got a guy who's been here a long time ghosting me going on a month after paying him for parts.

trust your instincts and assess what level of risk you're willing to take before parting with your hard earned cash.
There can’t be zero risk unless you’re picking it up yourself and then you can potentially be mugged

Good advice !!! when you buy parts make sure everything is legit! don't let your judgement get clouded by the ability to find the part or the good price. I got ripped off about a year ago for $700 on a stroker crankshaft . ( on another Mopar website ) I should have known better !
The seller offered to refund my money If I gave him my bank account info for a direct deposit , he claimed that was the only way he could do a refund. Sure buddy here's my bank info ! Then I found out I wasn't his only " victim " on the same website. I like Jos51700s response !! spot on !

Last edited:
Yeah, it's too bad that these individuals don't put that much effort into a "REAL" job. But on another note, I got a call from the FBI about a scammer I reported. They nailed him and his entire family because of the information that I and others supplied them with. Sometime in January I'm to be deposed by a Federal grand jury. I hope they put them so far under the jail that they have to pipe fresh air and sunshine to them.

Yeah, it's too bad that these individuals don't put that much effort into a "REAL" job. But on another note, I got a call from the FBI about a scammer I reported. They nailed him and his entire family because of the information that I and others supplied them with. Sometime in January I'm to be deposed by a Federal grand jury. I hope they put them so far under the jail that they have to pipe fresh air and sunshine to them.
Thats great your scammer got caught.. I filed a complaint with the post office since I paid via money order , I gave them all the info I had but never heard anything back . My local authorities said there was nothing they could do

Thats great your scammer got caught.. I filed a complaint with the post office since I paid via money order , I gave them all the info I had but never heard anything back . My local authorities said there was nothing they could do

Any time it crosses state lines it becomes a federal matter. Most jurisdictions also now have Internet Fraud divisions or task forces. Even little Greenfield (pop. 2198) has one. I used it a few years ago to stop a stalker on here. They referred me to the FBI who visited him at work at Auto Zone.

Any time it crosses state lines it becomes a federal matter. Most jurisdictions also now have Internet Fraud divisions or task forces. Even little Greenfield (pop. 2198) has one. I used it a few years ago to stop a stalker on here. They referred me to the FBI who visited him at work at Auto Zone.
Book em' Danno!

-
Back