scarebird brakes

-
Thanks Outlaw. I'm not sure I followed everything but not having the car in front of me makes it tough to follow along. Was it a total of 4 hours from start to finish on your upgrade? One thing you didn't mention was brake performance after the swap.

I just ordered my brackets yesterday so I'll be up to my elbows in this same project shortly. Something tells me there will be a few "help me" posts coming in the next weeks.

Thanks again,

Joe

ya it took me about 4 hours of work to get it done but there was a couple hours of scratching my head trying to figure out the best parts to use and then with the lathe and mill.(machine shop time and $$$ could be considerable ) I see he has changed the parts list since my review...LOL I really cant say whose works better but I was just so damn happy that they worked and I havent had a bit of vibration or pitching and diving.... havent put many miles on the car since or any high speed miles to test performance but around town they feel solid and secure and they even hold with my line loc. Basically I am happy as hell with the outcome for the $$$ spent ...happy enough I'm going for the rear disc next as soon as I find a power booster I want . Unless Marc has rewritten the instructions you will have to be creative on some stuff. Like he gave me 2 diagrams but said nuthing about them ...I only assume they were to be used to drill out the stud locaations on the new rotors ...but that just a guess...LOL

Yeah the machine shop time is what scares me about the project. I don't have anywhere near as complete a shop as you obviously do. I do have a willing machine shop up the road which is good, but not sure what kind of time it's going to cost me to get everything done. You wouldn't happen to be in NC would you? :lol: :lol:

J

darn it no I'm just about 1100 miles to the west of ya ...close !!!

you might look thru the latest instructions for your car as they are constantly updating and changing things ...he may have found a way with out using a lathe .....the only other way is to use the bearing hubs off of some AMC vehicles and their rotors
I been hunting some but around here if it aint drivable its crushed so damn little "finds " or parts cars to be had ....sux!!!

Just wondering, about after the conversion...I know the 13" wheels won't clear the calipers. What about 14" steel wheel?

i drilled my rotors at home using a drill and using the template supplied, it was simple, no need for a machine shop, i have put aprox 10k miles on my scarebird conversion. They work great, so much better then the manual drum brakes. The only problem i found is with the reman MC, seems none of them have the redisule valve for the rear drums like my factory MC did. once i got the right MC it works great, little effort to stop and a great pedal.

without that valve i had excessive pedal travel.

-
Back