Scared of Heights.

-
I've seen that vid a bunch and it freaks me out everytime I see it. One of our members did/does this kind of work and noted many safety violations. 67dart273?

Mike Rowe did some radio tower work on Discovery's "Dirty Jobs"... I have to give the guy credit.... His camera man has brass balls too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yv9sVPbKOU"]Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe - Tower Top Hand ( Se 09 Ep 09, February 7, 2012 ) 1/3 - YouTube[/ame]

I'm scared of WIDTHS....

"widths?" I think we must see picchhures

I'll tell ya what used to scare ME, and fortunately, I never had to climb one of the P's O.S. That is the typical cellular monopole. They put the climbing pegs at an ANGLE, and there is really nothing to hang onto

Download this huge photo:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4059/4254871039_73ce31da1e_o.jpg

which came from here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/onthespiral/with/4254871039/

The moron engineers who came up with the "climbing system" for these should be hung by their balls--from the towers they designed

zacrc.jpg

901409783-Cell-Tower-Climber.jpg

Hey, want to see what I deal with below ground level on the telecom side, LOL!

Attachments

• 675A0080.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 675A0077.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 675A0082.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 157
66 blocks? LMAO! How does 22,000 pairs grab ya? Plus, I have to deal with everyones LAN AND WAN problems.

Edit: Also deal with single and multi mode fiber.

I like the 66 blocks rather than the 110 blocks. For me, those were a PITA

Much of the work I was involved with was older buildings (sheriff, courthouse, small towns) and the darn things were NEVER properly documented. A typical phone switch we did was not only 911, but replaced the existing building BUSINESS line switch, so you had to figure a way to ID all the lines

The telco companies were strangely uncooperative, because THEY had just lost the bid on teh 911 system. And, SOME of those lines were special. Dry copper for remote radio base stations, remote siren activation (fire, emergency) and yeah, the old fashioned alarm modules

One town I worked, I think it was Ritzville, asked the sheriff who to contact because we need to move/ reconfigure the alarms. He said, "hell I don't even know if they work." We could not figure out how to contact, so we finally just UNHOOKED one of 'em. NOTHING happened!!! The bank didn't call, the alarm company didn't call, NOTHING. So we tagged the lines, unhooked the modules and tossed it in the basement. Last time I was there, that's were they were

(I can't even find a photo of one, remember? They had a red and green light, and a meter to show the current monitor limits)

I like the 66 blocks rather than the 110 blocks. For me, those were a PITA

110's can be a pain to troubleshoot as a double punch or hanging shiner from a previous lackey is hard to find.... BUT, there is no other way to make a CAT 5e or CAT 6 connection leaving us with little choice.

Much of the work I was involved with was older buildings (sheriff, courthouse, small towns) and the darn things were NEVER properly documented. A typical phone switch we did was not only 911, but replaced the existing building BUSINESS line switch, so you had to figure a way to ID all the lines

We had a number to call that would auto ID the line.... Damn, it's been a while but all I do now is mostly T-1 PRI lines and diagnose with a T berd :)

The telco companies were strangely uncooperative, because THEY had just lost the bid on teh 911 system. And, SOME of those lines were special. Dry copper for remote radio base stations, remote siren activation (fire, emergency) and yeah, the old fashioned alarm modules

LECS and those associated were pissed. This was thiere domain for generations... I used to find multimode fiber connects pulled right in the LEC on our rack. That stuff just doesn"t fall out. Joe Nachio fkd 'm, I didn't...

One town I worked, I think it was Ritzville, asked the sheriff who to contact because we need to move/ reconfigure the alarms. He said, "hell I don't even know if they work." We could not figure out how to contact, so we finally just UNHOOKED one of 'em. NOTHING happened!!! The bank didn't call, the alarm company didn't call, NOTHING. So we tagged the lines, unhooked the modules and tossed it in the basement. Last time I was there, that's were they were

(I can't even find a photo of one, remember? They had a red and green light, and a meter to show the current monitor limits)

Talking a bout a "goat", the awesome meter from hell? Will find a high ground that non other will? Man, I was a systems engineer on the VOIP side, but was brought up from tip and ring/Toshiba T100 working hexidecimal to a BS/MIS and now to whoever will pay. Tough times but I can take a punch, and so can you from what I can tell.

KD0NTS
WQNH201

That video made my palms sweat just watching it. My friends wanted to ride that ride at the Stratosphere in Vegas. You know the one that takes you over the edge of the building then brings you to an abrupt stop hanging over the edge. F that!!!

-
Back