Scary brake incident

-

Cudaroy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I had something happen the other day that scared the crap outta me. Driving home from work Friday I was just taking off from a light and as it shifted to second I heard a loud bang and a tire screeching. I was able to turn onto a side street instantly to find the left front wheel frozen stuck. I was able to back up which unstuck the wheel and I could hear a metallic noise as I nursed the car home as I didn't want to leave the car where it was. I just pulled the drum to find that both brake linings had separated from the shoe! Both linings are at least.3/16ths thick so they weren't worn. I have never had that happen before.
I bought the car (68 FB Barracuda) last year and while inspecting the car pulled all4 drums to notice all had brand new drums,shoes,hardware, and the entire car had stainless steel lines installed so I thought I was good to go. Guess not!
Has this ever happened to anyone here? I hope not. Only good thing was I was only going 20-25 mph and not on the highway!

Have had a few bonded brake linings come unglued....

Sold auto parts for about 15 years "in a previous life." This was back when our local area had a lot of independent small shops, and service stations, doing that sort of work. In that time I've only seen maybe? 3 or 4 shoe cores come back with the lining came off.

I try to find the riveted linings if I can. I think Wagner and Bendix are riveted.

The times we found the linings loose,, they were generally cooked,, something caused the linings to drag, adjusted too tight, or something come loose and jammed.. causing such heat as to carbonize the bonding agent..

Any signs of heat, ??

I try to find the riveted linings if I can. I think Wagner and Bendix are riveted.

It's not a "brand" thing. All major brands "used to" make both riveted and bonded in some linings. I think it leaned towards what OEM had been. I'm sure the "Chineseo" effect has somewhat come into play in the last years.

I see it often but from corrosion separating the lining from the backing.

un-bonded shoes are not uncommon at all. ive had 3 separate later model cars do this. Presumably OEM mopar shoes based on the miles. The lining comes lose and locked up the wheel. Fortunately i was able to go in reverse to unjam the brake to get home.

Then replaced with the finest (ONLY available in a pinch) 'zone replacements. Seems in two replacements, neither brands cared for autoX beatings. In the third case it was just 120K mile age. no sign of heat or any other brake component failure.

The times we found the linings loose,, they were generally cooked,, something caused the linings to drag, adjusted too tight, or something come loose and jammed.. causing such heat as to carbonize the bonding agent..

Any signs of heat, ??

No signs of heat fatigue but for,all i know it could be.

Gez that actually happened to my 68 Barracuda on my trip back from Detroit! Was driving down the freeway at about 60 and all the sudden the traffic stopped I applied the brakes normally ( brand new drum manual front and rear brakes) and the left front brake locked up and didn't let loose! I safely made it to side of freeway and jacked the car up removed the wheel and the brake drum wasn't over heated but was locked up solid! Being truck driver my first thought was to smack it with a hammer lol! I smacked it a few times and sure enough it broke loose and I got it to the closest repair shop and the guy pulled the drum and it was the brake lining came loose and wedged in the drum somehow and locked it up so not sure why that happened other then cheap *** manufacturing! Since then have installed 4 wheel disc brakes.

Gez that actually happened to my 68 Barracuda on my trip back from Detroit! Was driving down the freeway at about 60 and all the sudden the traffic stopped I applied the brakes normally ( brand new drum manual front and rear brakes) and the left front brake locked up and didn't let loose! I safely made it to side of freeway and jacked the car up removed the wheel and the brake drum wasn't over heated but was locked up solid! Being truck driver my first thought was to smack it with a hammer lol! I smacked it a few times and sure enough it broke loose and I got it to the closest repair shop and the guy pulled the drum and it was the brake lining came loose and wedged in the drum somehow and locked it up so not sure why that happened other then cheap *** manufacturing! Since then have installed 4 wheel disc brakes.

Glad you made it home ok......that was my biggest fear.....having this happen at highway speeds.....

I've noticed that on bonded brakes that were driven by ultra conservative drivers..all of a sudden car won't move. Shoes hardly had any wear on them.

-
Back