SCAT or Eagle rods??

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I'm building a 408 stroker and was planning on using Eagle I-beam SIR rods because my machinist said that's what he always uses and likes them. I was looking around for the best price and came across SCAT rods for about $20 more. Eagle I-beams rods are rated at 500 hp. SCAT rates their I-beams at 650 hp. Actually rods good for 500 hp is good enough since I'm just shooting for a good torquey 425-450 hp engine but if the SCAT rods are that much better I'm thinking why not spend the extra $20.

My question is does anybody here run or know anything about SCAT rods? Are they stronger like their supposed to be?

Funny thing is their 10 grams lighter also which isn't a bunch but multiply that by 8 and theirs 80 more grams off the rotating assy. Maybe their made of some space age material that's stronger??? Don't know cause neither says what their made of.

Any input is appreciated.

My understanding is they are basically all made at the same place in China! They are shipped here and then that is where they get the names! Scat ,Eagle etc just depends on who buys them.Then the company that buys them does the finished machine work to them.I have been told that eagle does a little better machining than the others. Personally I have used eagle products and have good luck so far with them.I just had a set of Eagle h beams used in building my new 416 stroker engine. I also have friends that use eagle cranks,rods etc and they have no real problems.Although they still need to be checked closely for sizing etc. before use.

I bought the #6123 scat H beam rods. Haven't used them yet.

I've heard mixed opinions about Eagle SIR's.

I got scat rods and my dad has eagle rods we test fit one of my rods and compared them to his eagle the scat looked to be more well built and it clearanced the block a little better. This is comparing the i beams.

Thanks for all the input guys. I also heard that Eagles had some problems in the early days but I think they got things straightened up, or so I've heard.

Hkeller- From what I've read both clear fine.

1969340Dart- That wouldn't surprise me.

Crackedback- do you have any way to weigh your SCAT rods? I'm curious if the listed weight is what they really are.

BigStrok3- Did you guys weigh your rods by any chance? Like I asked Rob above I'm curious as to how close they are to their advertised weight.

Thanks again for the replies gents.

Personally I'd like to see a tensile strength comparison between the two...

Numbers on the box

Small end - 191
Big End - 441

Total - 632

Don't have a scale handy.

the eagle sir rods are made from 5140 steel

the scat I beams are made from 4340 steel

that is why the scats have a higher horsepower rating then the eagle rods..

I am putting scat i beams in my 360 W2 head engine ..

the scat I beams are made from 4340 steel

Correct. I have been in touch with a few people who used the Scat I-beams with a 4" crank and no grinding on the block was needed. My block is at the shop now and my machinist checked my new Scat I-beam rods over for my stroker and he liked what he saw. There was a flaw in my Scat crank but as soon as that is resolved rod clearance will be checked on my block. I don't expect any grinding will be needed.

The finish sizes on the SCAT stuff is much better and they use a bigger bolt which is what contributes to the higher power rating.

The finish sizes on the SCAT stuff is much better and they use a bigger bolt which is what contributes to the higher power rating.

Thanks Monte for the info. Didn't know about the bolt size.

I found the specs for steel on a website that shows the 4340 their made from is quite a bit stronger than the 5140 steel also so it sounds like their the way to go.

I'll have to second the choice on the Scat rods. My machinist recommended the Scat stroker kit over the Eagle kit because he prefers the quality of the Scat components and the unneeded grinding of the block for clearance.

-
Back