School me on trans 727 vs 904

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
As far as which automatic transmission to use, I was always under the impression that if you had a hi-po motor in your Mopar you needed to have a 727 behind it. However, I have seen quite a few race cars equipped with the 904. So why do some racers go with the 904 when the 727 is generally considered to be the stronger transmission? Is it because the 904 is lighter? Has less rotating mass? Better torque multiplication? Please, school me on the merits of using the 904 in a hi-po or race application vs going with the 727. Thanks!

RzeroB,

This topic has been beaten to death. There is tons of great info on this site...please spend some time using the search function on this board..

It really is a choice of preference.. It is like asking Mac or PC...or worse..

Thought I did ... guess I didn't go back far enough. I'll search again. Thanks.

As far as which automatic transmission to use, I was always under the impression that if you had a hi-po motor in your Mopar you needed to have a 727 behind it. However, I have seen quite a few race cars equipped with the 904. So why do some racers go with the 904 when the 727 is generally considered to be the stronger transmission? Is it because the 904 is lighter? Has less rotating mass? Better torque multiplication? Please, school me on the merits of using the 904 in a hi-po or race application vs going with the 727. Thanks!

yes...lighter...yes less rotating mass...yes...has 2.74/1.45 gear set....if you need a low gear set..

Using 904s in all cars in Signature below...3 904s use Transbake ...Tranzact of Indy transbrake.

-
Back