Scoop Plugs

-

MB43

Reaction score
Any idea where I can get a set of scoop plugs for a six-pack scoop?

yop will prob have to make them. i made a set for my dartsport years ago, by cutting out the main shape in thin sheetmetal (one for each opening) and glueing foam (something that can be easily compressed and thenexpands back to shape) to the back side of the sheetmetal with regular 3M general spray adhesive. use plenty of glue--i sprayed the foam side a few times, let tack up and sprayed again, and then do it one more time before attaching. it worked very well, and all i had invested was the spray adhesive.

--chad

turbodart said:
yop will prob have to make them. i made a set for my dartsport years ago, by cutting out the main shape in thin sheetmetal (one for each opening) and glueing foam (something that can be easily compressed and thenexpands back to shape) to the back side of the sheetmetal with regular 3M general spray adhesive. use plenty of glue--i sprayed the foam side a few times, let tack up and sprayed again, and then do it one more time before attaching. it worked very well, and all i had invested was the spray adhesive.

--chad

What kind of foam did you use? I made some a few years ago, but the foam didn't last - it dried up and got hard pretty quick.

I'm looking to plug the holes in the scoop while I travel - I don't have an air cleaner and don't want crap in my carb. I've been putting a rag over the carb for years and securing it to the carb for years, but it's a pain in the butt to do that.

Some of the foam used as packing material with electronic equipment would work. But some types is too stiff or actually styrofoam. The metal, plastic or plexiglass "facing" should be a little larger than the opening to prevent the foam from getting blown inside or too soaked. But you really should run an air cleaner at the track anyway. Stuff gets kicked up by cars in front of you and there is a considerable amount of dust in the air, not to mention when the wind kicks up! Your engine will appreciate it by lasting longer!

the foam i used was very soft and "squishable". i dont know what it came from because i just had it around at the time, but it is similar to the foam you can buy at the hardware store in strips to seal windows for air conditioners. als, they make those plastic carb hats that are cheap too. mr gasket and moroso come to mind on these.

--chad

I had the same issue . I like the foam idea on some tin. What I did was cut up my kids old boggie board. it fits great stays in place going down the highway. you still cover the carb when you transport. good luck.

turbodart said:
the foam i used was very soft and "squishable". i dont know what it came from because i just had it around at the time, but it is similar to the foam you can buy at the hardware store in strips to seal windows for air conditioners. als, they make those plastic carb hats that are cheap too. mr gasket and moroso come to mind on these.

--chad

Yeah, I know about the carb hats. The thing is I'd rather not have to pull the hood off when I get to the track, I'd like to just jump in, fire it up and roll it off the trailer. With the rag I use now or a carb hat, I'd have to pull the hood off, put the rag/hat off, put the hood back on before I start it up.

I'll see if I can make something up, I guess. I'm surprised that nobody makes anything like this already.

I'm also looking for one of those Hilborn-style scoops, with a screen on the front. If I had one of those on the carb I wouldn't have to worry about any of this. I just don't want to pay $150+ for one...

{ edit }
I just found one for $60 on eBay, from a guy who lives up the road from me. Brand new, in the box. Good deal!
{ edit }

Check it out...

100_0967.JPG

100_0968.JPG

-
Back