Scored a 440 today!

-

dartjack

Reaction score
Picked up a 440 and trans from a late 70's motorhome with 58k miles. It is a van type chassis. The engine code on top is 7t440e. Anyone have any info on this motor? I'm thinking it has 452 heads. Would the cr be lowered with dish pistons. The manual lists the cr at 8.2/1. I'm guessing actual would be about 7.8/1. I have a couple of sets of 66/67 383 heads with closed chambers. Would they (with the bigger ex valve) bring it up to a reasonable number for street use? Any help will be muchly appreciated.

If I am correct i think the closed chambered heads were around 75-78cc. That should get you around 9 to 1. With some bowl porting and some 2.14 1.81 valves that would definitely help out on performance.

Picked up a 440 and trans from a late 70's motorhome with 58k miles. It is a van type chassis. The engine code on top is 7t440e. Anyone have any info on this motor? I'm thinking it has 452 heads. Would the cr be lowered with dish pistons. The manual lists the cr at 8.2/1. I'm guessing actual would be about 7.8/1. I have a couple of sets of 66/67 383 heads with closed chambers. Would they (with the bigger ex valve) bring it up to a reasonable number for street use? Any help will be muchly appreciated.

7=1977, t=truck and e=cast crank. The heads might or might not be 452's, pull the cover and check the casting number on top. As far as the 383 heads go what are the casting numbers on them. 915 and 516 were the closed chambered heads and supposedly the 915 had better ports but 1.60" exhaust valves. Both were supposed to be 78cc's.

Terry

'77 440 with a cast crank. T does not mean truck, it means Trenton.

I had a 440 just like this, the T is the plant, the E is Cast crank, i'll bet those pistons are a good .200" below deck, its indeed a 'blower motor", compressions around 7.8 at best, don't know what your plans are or what you'll be putting it in, but if you plan on leaving the bottom end stock, just install bolt-ons with a mild cam, it'll respond decent in a B body, nice in an A body, dropping closed chambered heads will help compression alittle, but not much to get excited about, maybe 1/2 point, that'll put you around 8.3 & you'll still have horrible quench, the heads are most likely 452s, don't waiste money installing larger valves, that'll just hurt any torque that engine is already lacking do to its low compression, you can clean up the bowl areas alot & valve guide bosses, open up the roofs enterence & the pushrod pinch about .100", do a 30* backcut on the valves, now if you really want that engine too shine, drop in some FT pistons as close to 0 deck as possible, do up the heads, install a nice cam & it'll rock big time, or to stay on the cheap, just clean it up, install bolt-ons, don't touch the heads other then a good VJ & a mild cam & chain.

-
Back