Scored another one.. 1966 Barracuda

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I've known about this car for years, and have known the owner a while too. A couple months ago I ran into the owner, and he told me to get this car out of his yard. It's too rough to try to re sell, so I think I'll part it out at some point.

1966 Plymouth Barracuda, /6 auto, 'performance' gauge, mint arm rests with bases, buckets, column shift, nice steering wheel with horn ring, nice grilles, all lights work, good glass, emblems, interior parts are all pretty nice, good exterior trim.

I'll be keeping the arm rests and a few other things for my Valiant, but everything else is pretty much up for grabs.

After getting it towed to another yard.

Forgot to get a pic of the engine bay.

The glove box even has a lock with key which both work. Also has locking gas cap.

Plans for the grille? I might be interested.

Mike...how'd it ever qualify for Collector plates....its in no-where-near good enough condition...must have been a fair while ago, eh????

Glad it went to a good home Mike :D.. Congratulations :glasses7:

Interesting. One step beyond the Antique Plates unless it is over 25 years and original condition. This is cool and new to me.

Applying for collector plates

Have a beautiful collector or limited-edition collector vehicle that you just drive occasionally? You might want to apply for collector plates. Collector plates may be used on cars, light trucks and motorcycles.
[-] Minimum age for collector vehicles

To qualify, your vehicle must be

• at least 25 years old, or
  • at least 15 years old and of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year
  • at least 15 years old, where the manufacturer that own the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years, or
  • registered as a 1948 or earlier model with a vehicle status of "altered" (has had one or more major components replaced).

[-] Collectable condition of your vehicle

Your vehicle must be

• in exceedingly good condition (for example, no dents, scratches, rust, chips in the paint, visible primer, tears in the interior);
  • in a condition that conforms to the original manufacturer's specifications (no non-approved parts and accessories added); and
  • maintained in the same condition when originally approved for collector plates.

Looks like the front bumper got a bit twisted when it was towed today.

Darwin, the collector plates MAY have been on another that's back there.. there is a 1929 Ford Model A which they used to drive in parades, and those plates may have been intended for it.

Interesting. One step beyond the Antique Plates unless it is over 25 years and original condition. This is cool and new to me.

Applying for collector plates

Have a beautiful collector or limited-edition collector vehicle that you just drive occasionally? You might want to apply for collector plates. Collector plates may be used on cars, light trucks and motorcycles.
[-] Minimum age for collector vehicles

To qualify, your vehicle must be

• at least 25 years old, or
  • at least 15 years old and of no more than 1,500 of that make and model (not edition) produced worldwide by the manufacturer for that model year
  • at least 15 years old, where the manufacturer that own the "trademark" or "make" of that vehicle has ceased manufacturing vehicles of any kind for at least the last five years, or
  • registered as a 1948 or earlier model with a vehicle status of "altered" (has had one or more major components replaced).

[-] Collectable condition of your vehicle

Your vehicle must be

• in exceedingly good condition (for example, no dents, scratches, rust, chips in the paint, visible primer, tears in the interior);
  • in a condition that conforms to the original manufacturer's specifications (no non-approved parts and accessories added); and
  • maintained in the same condition when originally approved for collector plates.
They actually allow you to add period correct accessories ie , block hugger headers but not fenderwell headers , a 4 barrel instead of the origional 2 the big things are not to add modern wheels and not to alter the dash -no new stereo etc , there is also a "Modified Collector" plate but they limit your use dramatically on that one . I am allowed to drive my car on it's Collector plate anywhere anytime except to and from school or work . the stupid part is you have to send pictures of your car from every angle you can think of proving the condition of your car but is if you get in an accident they call it just another old car with no value like it's an 86 chevette or something ,they expect you to by a supplemental "agreed upon value" policy at 6 bucks per thousand of claimed value per year and you have to go through all the pics and proof nonsense all over again to get that policy .

It is interesting how insurance companies rule our lives....my last company refused to take any vehicle appraisal i could get insisting it was just an old car. I was at @ 400 for pl/pd until I found Silver Wheels..

BTW, same goes for antique furniture. You have to have any antique furniture appraised and agreed upon by your nsurer or it is just an old piece of furniture.

Ian.

How much for the grilles? Some close up pics please. I have a few, they are not the greatest - lots of barnacles to grind off. I am in need of a good front bumper, it seems the front bumpers always have dents or got bent somehow! Same butt ugly as my green fish! Better pics of wheel lip mouldings - always looking for those.

Nice one! My first Barracuda was a 66 I restored it and had a 318 in it with a 8.75 rear all done to drag race in street class! The car ran 12.8 in 1/4 mile as consistent as could be! I was second in the class three years in a row! The one day a old man crunched it as I came home from the track on a rainy evening as he was in space and thought he was going forward in driveway and backed out into me! I was so devastated it made me cry and broke my heart! I loved that car! I now have a 65 formula S in the final stages of restoration! I drive it all the time as it is road finished, just needs some body and pain to finish it up! It also has a 318 but is dressed to look like the original 273, 14 inch rally wheels, front dis brakes, dual master cylinder, modern u joints, soon to re do electrical system with a kit! Then the final deal some body work and paint! All it takes is money! Enjoy the Barracuda biggest window ever in any car ever made! Take care of it and when it is done you go to old car night and its amazing how few you will ever see!

65cudalover!

Early A bodies tough to find simple parts as they made so few and nobody makes the replacement restoration parts! The reality is they haven't got the value to be on the redo list like E bodies or later 67-69 Cudas! It wont fit a big block so the value is not there according to the motor heads! I love mine and could care less!! I got almost 9 k in mine mechanically 100%, runs like a rabbit and the other night after a old care hang out night coming home I blew the doors off a 67 chevelle!! We were at a Red light it went green and I stomped the gas, left him in the dust! Next light he just shook his head and smiled! Soon I will do body and paint just takes money!!

65Cudalover!

I'm going out to the Cuda tomorrow. If anyone who hasn't asked about parts yet is interested in anything, say it here or PM me and I'll pull it tomorrow.

I am looking for the inside trim at the bottom of the rear window.
what is its condition / price?
toadman61

-
Back