Scored my next project

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
While out on my weekly junk yard trip i found an early 60s dodge pick up. the truck was pretty beat up but when i saw the tailgate i had to have it. paid $40 for it and it will soon be my new porch bench. gonna scuff it and clear it. I will weld up a nice metal frame for it. the seat portion of the bench will be built to look like a wood truck bed with the steel hold down slats. what you guys think?

Very cool!!! What condition is that tailgate? If it is not rusted through it could be worth a lot of money to somebody restoring a stepside....those are very hard to find and used on many years. Only dads 59 Sweptside his gate was a little beat up and required a lot of work, he couldn't even locate another one so his had to do.

But, I love the idea of a bench!!!

That's a cool idea. I have one just like it that I found while rehabbing a foreclosed property. It is on the front of my garage.

Very cool!!! What condition is that tailgate? If it is not rusted through it could be worth a lot of money to somebody restoring a stepside....those are very hard to find and used on many years. Only dads 59 Sweptside his gate was a little beat up and required a lot of work, he couldn't even locate another one so his had to do.

its pretty solid but...... the hinge is rusted solid in the bottom and the gate is bowed out over an inch from stuff slamming against it over the years. not gonna let this one go. I have got to have it as a bench out front. the lady actually likes this project so i gotta jump all over it. lol.

If it ends up as nice as you pro tour dart it will be a damn fine bench. Did you get glass in the dart yet?

If it ends up as nice as you pro tour dart it will be a damn fine bench. Did you get glass in the dart yet?

thanks for the kind words. no glass yet. I just got the headliner redone 2 weeks ago. I have all the glass, seals, etc. I just have to take it in. I have been working 12 hr days and weekends for the last month so i have had no time. soon i will get the glass in.

Cool idea but, Sweptline guys would pay 300-1000 for a good tail gate. Just saying....I've got a 64 and that looks like a good part. Not fishing, I don't need one.

W
Cool idea but, Sweptline guys would pay 300-1000 for a good tail gate. Just saying....I've got a 64 and that looks like a good part. Not fishing, I don't need one.

Well first $350 takes it. I plan to bolt it to the frame I build. I'm not going to chop it up. The way I look at it is this. Its better to be saved from the crusher no matter what its use will be. I just walked by the truck and fell in love with it. If my posting this project finds it a User with a more noble cause then so be it. If not then I will be sitting on a classic tailgate drinking beer with family and friends creating memories.

W

Well first $350 takes it. I plan to bolt it to the frame I build. I'm not going to chop it up. The way I look at it is this. Its better to be saved from the crusher no matter what its use will be. I just walked by the truck and fell in love with it. If my posting this project finds it a User with a more noble cause then so be it. If not then I will be sitting on a classic tailgate drinking beer with family and friends creating memories.

Hey wasn't dogging you about this! Build it, post it and enjoy it! Nothing better than car/truck useful art!

Very cool idea, but if it`s something that my *** is going to be sitting on I would use a Chevy or Ford tailgate instead! :D

my son just did one with an old chey one look's great want's to do another one and have a tail gate party lol

Hey wasn't dogging you about this! Build it, post it and enjoy it! Nothing better than car/truck useful art!

wasnt taking it as you dogging the project. was just explaining my thinking. the yard i got it from is a fast turn over yard. they only keep the rigs a couple of weeks tops. then they are crushed and scrapped.

-
Back