Sealer between upper and lower cowls on 65 Dodge Dart

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m getting ready to weld the upper and lower cowls together, and to the firewall on my 65 Dart. There appears to have been some kind of black goo between these parts from the factory. Does anyone know what I should use to replace it, or if I even need do it? I will put seam sealer back along this joint and will also seal along the top of the firewall inside. Photo of the area is attached.

1EEE3BFF-C826-4FBF-8CC9-F8DCA994ECFC.jpeg

When I did mine............I put seam sealer between the 2 panels, and screwed them together tight. When I plug welded them, I cleaned out the holes where the sealer was oozing out. I filled the hole with several small "plugs" to avoid burning up the sealer. Lots of compressed air to cool as I worked. It was slow and monotonous, but I got the panels together without ruining the sealer..........That's how I did it.

Mine was a firewall replacement, but the same idea applies. Good luck.

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Thank for your response. Lots of good ideas in your photos. Plus, it gives me an excuse to buy some more C-clamp vise grips! When I replaced my full quarter panels I used self-etching primer between them and the tops of the rocker panels. It was a little smoky, but it worked. I’ll try the seam sealer like you did. I’m not too worried if the plug welds are pretty because I will smooth them out a little and cover them with seam sealer. Thanks again.

-
Back