Sealing transmission pan

-

Demonx2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a simple question. I've used the "LubeLocker" trans pan gaskets on a pair of 727's and the pans still leak. The avatar's leak I attribute to the cheapo chrome deep pan on it. Can't recall if I scuffed it up a bit before installing but regardless, that pan is coming off and a new gasket installed with a different pan.

I got this standard depth pan from Summit for my other Demon. It's a show pony only car so it doesn't really need a deep pan. My question is do you typically take some sandpaper and scuff this type up a bit too? I'm going to try the Summit brand pan gasket on it without any sealant and see how it does but was first interested in what others do. Thx!
20240812_172949.jpg

Usually when removing pan, it tweaks it and hard to get a good seal. I alway over tighten it. Even tried finger tight screws until silicone cures and then tighten with wrench. Hard to tell how much to tighten cause I’m an amateur. I’m going with a cast or billet pan with an oring.

Mopar 5010884AA black ATF RTV works. It stands up to synthetic so I'd suggest any gasket with a skim coat of the rtv on both surfaces. Works for me. Let is set up a bit and put it together. If you can, let it cure fully. I know the flat rate techs at work put it together and fill it up.

This is what I use. They are also on e-bay, and Amazon. Reusable Transmission Pan Gasket | Power Driven Diesel
EDIT: There is also the same type gasket for the 904 based transmissions. The 904 gasket can be used all the way back to 1960. 1960-1962 require the newer filter and oil pan. Also on the cable shifter trans, if using this gasket, the gasket covers access to one of the bolts for the park cable housing. This does not allow removing the housing without dropping the pan.

Last edited:
No scuffing. Pan must be flat. Cork is OK but not a cheap one. I install dry with no issues. If you need help, a little RTV.

Mopar 5010884AA black ATF RTV works. It stands up to synthetic so I'd suggest any gasket with a skim coat of the rtv on both surfaces. Works for me. Let is set up a bit and put it together. If you can, let it cure fully. I know the flat rate techs at work put it together and fill it up.
fyi the 5010884AA has been updated to 5010884AD but retains the MS-GF-41-B designation (which you can use at the parts counter or to search ebay/amazon for a deal).

the stuff works good, but you need to apply it exactly according to the package; and this is critical: it only has a shelf life of one year, so check the expiration date otherwise the stuff won't cure!

For the gazillionth trans leakage thread...
Sure it's the pan? On my 727;(rarely driven as well) the converter leaks down and the fluid has to go somewhere. I swore my leak was the pan too. As the converter leaks down my leak was actually the threads of the front band adjustment stud
On the trans in my kids 72 c body wagon the leak ended up being the shift shaft seal
For all the world both looked like it was the pan gasket leaking.

Last edited:
Sure it's the pan? On my 727;(rarely driven as well) the converter leaks down and the fluid has to go somewhere. I swore my leak was the pan too. As the converter leaks down my leak was actually the threads of the front band adjustment stud
On the trans in my kids 72 c body wagon the leak ended up being the shift shaft seal
Well we shall see as the 71 will be up on the lift in the next week to swap the pan. I'll inspect carefully and see what I find but the trans was recently rebuilt (last 500 miles) and new seals installed. Thx for the ideas!

Thx fellas for your replies and input. This is exactly what I was looking for - see how others have "been there, done that." I'll get it on the lift and inspect it carefully to see what I can learn then have at it with this new pan. And I'll not scuff up the surface of this latest new pan.

It was interesting to see that Mopar RTV that had been updated from an AA suffix to now an AD suffix. I'm familiar with that - some of you may know what Threebond 1217-F RTV is that has also ratcheted up the suffix through the years as well.

rtv the filler tube o ring for the same reason above. Converter draining

It was interesting to see that Mopar RTV that had been updated from an AA suffix to now an AD suffix. I'm familiar with that - some of you may know what Threebond 1217-F RTV is that has also ratcheted up the suffix through the years as well.
i use a lot of threebond (a carry over from two wheeled work) and that stuff certainly works great in specific applications. i'm always hesitant to recommend it for anything that requires "frequent" service or inspection because it's such a bastard to clean up.

but when it absolutely, positively has to seal and you've tried everything under the sun? it's time to break out the hylomar...

5010884AD ... As one of our cheap customers said "That **** works." And it was originally designed for use without a gasket. Tri-bond adhesive is just that, glue. Oil pans are regularly destroyed when they try to chisel that stuff off. I don't think you should use that. If you ever need to remove the pan it probably will not survive the removal process.

Agreed......After a couple of pan gaskets, mine turned out to be the shift lever shaft (not the seal though). There was a small groove actually worn into the shift lever shaft and it took 2 seals to figure that out because the groove was so small.

Got a simple question. I've used the "LubeLocker" trans pan gaskets on a pair of 727's and the pans still leak. The avatar's leak I attribute to the cheapo chrome deep pan on it. Can't recall if I scuffed it up a bit before installing but regardless, that pan is coming off and a new gasket installed with a different pan.

I got this standard depth pan from Summit for my other Demon. It's a show pony only car so it doesn't really need a deep pan. My question is do you typically take some sandpaper and scuff this type up a bit too? I'm going to try the Summit brand pan gasket on it without any sealant and see how it does but was first interested in what others do. Thx!
View attachment 1716288492

The OEM 46RH gaskets work great, and are reusable.
Rubber over a steel core.
No sealant required.

Lots of great insights on here!! Appreciate the input.

I personally use the reusable ones like trailbeast described. That one or a moroso blue gasket. I have had the black re-usable leak on some transmissions in the past. Why? Beats me. So I fix it with ultra black silicon and the gasket. Works great.

-
Back