Seam sealer between fender/body?

-

robertob

Reaction score
Is there supposed to be seam sealer between the fenders and the inner fenders on my '64 Valiant? I don't recall seeing any when I took it apart, but it seems odd that there would not be.

I would certainly apply some in there. When I had my fenders off on my 74, there were very few traces of it, but I put some in before I put it back together.

Now that I have two replacement fenders, I get to do it again (sigh).

I just used caulk. It's kinda like putty in a tube (not silicone), I can't remember the exact brand.

On my '68 Dodge truck I used 3M "strip caulk" and I'll probably do the same here. It's thick and does not harden.

What product did you use?

I just did mine and used the 3M Ultrapro automotive sealant in a caulk tube. It came out real smooth, accepted paint just as well as the metal around it and has not hardened after 2 weeks. It cost me $15 on amazon and I'll definitely use it on the rest of my car.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

You can buy a thin foam strip from classic ind. When I took my 69 cuda & 74 challenger apart there was something like it.

You can buy a thin foam strip from classic ind. When I took my 69 cuda & 74 challenger apart there was something like it.

Those who put camper tops on truck beds call it cap tape. It's nothing more than a 1/8 thick 1 inch wide foam like adhesive backed weather strip. I know that is all the factory used there from 67 up . I don't know about the earlier.

-
Back