searching for front coil spring replacements for a 1975 Plymouth Scamp

-
Reaction score
hello, i have a 1975 Plymouth Scamp that I'm working on and i cant seem to track down any front coil spring replacements that say they will work. where could i find some new front coil springs for this application? thank you for the help.

Have you looked up under the front of the car to see what kind of "Coil Springs" your car has?
Take a look. You will find that your car does not have coil springs. It has torsion bars. What symptoms does your car have that makes you think you need new 'springs'?

well this is embarrassing, i guess i just assumed that it had front coil springs as all the other older cars I've worked on had front coil springs. the car rides really bumpy and the suspension is super loose. i found new shocks and i was going to start there and go through the suspension tomorrow and check everything. what would you recommend replacing first to rebuild the suspension to improve drivability.

Welcome and post up some pics of your Scamp!

I’d suggest getting a copy of a 1975 factory service manual so you’ve got idea of what’s in the car and how to replace things as you go.

It sorta does have coil springs. They just happen to be straight. lol They're called torsion bars.

It could just be BAD shocks causing the bumpy ride. A complete rebuild of the front suspension is in order.

thank y'all for the help, i greatly appreciate it. should i also try adjusting the torsion bars to see if that helps?

thank y'all for the help, i greatly appreciate it. should i also try adjusting the torsion bars to see if that helps?
Not sure I would go there yet. I would remove the front shocks first and see if they have any resistance left. If not, there's your problem.

Oh also, go over to mymopar.com and see if they have a factory service manual download. They are free. You'll need it.

I thought that the opening question was a guy messing with everyone else. It is something that does happen from time to time.
The OP is listed as being in Sacramento. THIS Tuesday is the monthly meeting of the Capital City Mopars at the California Auto museum on Front Street in downtown Sacramento. The meeting starts around 7:00.
I am a member of this club and have been for over 20 years. I'll be there in this car:

Folsom 6.JPG

Last month, I rebuilt the front end of a 72 Duster and wrote about it here:

Front end rebuild 1972 Duster

Make it to a meeting and we will do what we can to get you on the right path.
Greg

Have you checked your tire type and pressures.
-----------------------------------------------------
I've been running T-bar cars almost continuously since 1970, and when radial tires came to town, that was the best thing ever. and second best was running the fronts at 28/29 psi, in town.. and
I always run the rears at 2>4 pounds less, except my 295s are at 24, cold, always.
On the hiway, I might pump them up around 4psi cold, for long trips.
But if yur running bigger than 15s, and less than 50 series, forklift tires, then nobody can help you. lol.
I run 1.09 T-bars, super-duty shocks, and a big fat sway bar, allbeit with a small V8, and no way would I call the ride bumpy nor stiff. The tire pressures that I mentioned is what is required to make the tires wear evenly, for a long tread life.
If your ride is supper-bumpy, perhaps your LCAs are on the bump-stops. This would make your ride-height very low indeed.

What happened, man?
I was at the meeting but didn't see you anywhere.

-
Back