Searching for info on my engine build

-

ladman

Reaction score
I bought my ‘69 Barracuda a year ago. A former drag car I’ve made streetable, but no paperwork on the engine build. Extremely fast 340 and one of the previous owners said he had it on the Dyno at 540 HP. I want to try to track down previous owners to see if I can’t reconstruct the build. Maybe Racing Junk? Any other sources I might try? Thanks.

FF3A56AB-BDD5-4796-AEDB-B23613FE3F7F.jpeg

C6CEB79F-1DBE-4B78-ABDD-BA6F3A522F8E.jpeg

You can run a compression test. That can give you a clue at least. From there, you can remove a valve cover and measure lift at the valve

Full disclosure, I have had the work done by a shop. I can do some light work, but not much from the heads down. Compression averaged about 125-150. Here is what I know.
upload_2021-1-8_19-22-7.png

Those compression PSI numbers are pretty low. Either it has a really sizeble cam or it has a low static compression ratio.

Full disclosure, I have had the work done by a shop. I can do some light work, but not much from the heads down. Compression averaged about 125-150. Here is what I know.
View attachment 1715666411
Those compression PSI numbers are pretty low. Either it has a really sizeble cam or it has a low static compression ratio.
The engine is pretty much as it was on the strip, so sizable cam. Fairly radical lope. 4.11, 8 3/4, 904 tranny. Thanks

Putting out 540 hp would require more than a sizable cam. Compression would need to be upped too. Top end rpm would need to push 8000 rpm. Carb would need to be at least an 850.

Suggest measuring cam lift like Rob suggested. 4.11 gears and tranny work could give the impression of more engine than it has, the only way to be sure is to measure up the engine.

The engine is pretty much as it was on the strip, so sizable cam. Fairly radical lope. 4.11, 8 3/4, 904 tranny. Thanks

I don't see a 540HP combo. There's just no way. What I do see is probably a car that was put together well as a total package and runs strong as it is. 375-425 maybe? Who cares? If you like it and are happy, drive it!

Also, a 904 tranny would need some work to hold against 540 hp. Any idea what was done to it?

Putting out 540 hp would require more than a sizable cam. Compression would need to be upped too. Top end rpm would need to push 8000 rpm. Carb would need to be at least an 850.

Suggest measuring cam lift like Rob suggested. 4.11 gears and tranny work could give the impression of more engine than it has, the only way to be sure is to measure up the engine.
Great info and I will pursue what both of you have suggested. My goal was to get it on the Dyno in the spring and in the meantime, try to get some detail from previous owners. Thanks to both.

I don't see a 540HP combo. There's just no way. What I do see is probably a car that was put together well as a total package and runs strong as it is. 375-425 maybe? Who cares? If you like it and are happy, drive it!
Yep, a good combo that runs well can give the impression of more HP that it has. I agree with the 400 hp estimate. If it is fun and you like it..enjoy!

I really don’t. I love the car and has the performance I was looking for. I did find that one of the previous owners had it for sale at Mecum in 2015 and advertised it at 540 HP. That would lead me to believe he would had to have had paperwork to back that up. Anyhow, great car and looking forward to enjoying it. Thanks.

-
Back