Seat belt laws?

-

J & N's DaR/T

Reaction score
Curious, anyone know the law in california or where I could get info about it? I'm not sure if I have to wear the "Cross-strap?" (dunno the actual name... I have a 72 Dart... Do I have to wear both?

I have a 67 and think that was the last year you only needed "Lap" belts - that or 68.
If you have a 72 I would think you need the "Shoulder" belts also. A web site that sells
seat belts should have that info. Think it came with the Lap belts I ordered from some
site on the web. Thought seat belts was a Federal Law.

This is what I learned back when I did inspections at a dealership...
Laws concerning safety equipment vary a little from state to state but the general rule of thumb is, what ever is there must be used. If the vehicle didn't come with lap belts or shoulder belts you dont have to add them. If the car did come with them or if you add them you must wear them. Same applies to lighting. If you add a high mount brake light on the package shelf it must work properly.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
This is the California Vehicle Code. the general rules will be in here, in Division 12 - Equipment of Vehicles.
I've been looking at this also to see if there was anything saying "no" to 4 or 5-point harnesses, as the 3 point belts in my Duster are shot. Havn't seen anything that says "no" to 4 or 5-points yet, but will call when I get closer to making a decision.

I got pulled over once for "not wearing a seatbelt" and explained I was wearing my lap belt. When the officer asked about the shoulder belt snapped on the roof I told him it was an option I added, but since it "didn't have the correct bolt" it was there for decoration only, and wouldn't be safe to use. He just nodded and said "uh, OK Iguess" :)

Grant

I'm still driving with the lap-belt only, but unless you have a show car or REALLY want your car period correct, swapping in a 3-point is a good idea. You can get them from almost any late model car in the junkyard, just be sure to reinforce the inner roof behind the mount. If you have the shoulder strap already, should be a piece of cake. When I was a kid, nobody wore seat belts, it wasn't required by law. Now I feel naked without them. Think about what your head and chest are going to do if you slam into something head-on. I guess I'm getting old, but a 3-point conversion is first on my "interior" list.

I'm throwing in some seats out of 2000 something Sebring convertible because my seats are shot, and the Sebring has the integrated shoulder strap so all I have to do is beef up the floor a bit where the seats bolt in.

I have only been using lap belts in my Dart. Took the shoulder ones out a while back. Have been pulled over a few times. Never said any thing to me about it. Do need to get some thing better in there though. Just a lap belt is not very safe at all.

I'm taking the seatbelts out of my '56. The car didn't come with them from the factory so that will be my little way of sticking it to the man. I know that it's not the smartest idea I've ever had but it is my choice. I've put less than 300 miles on the car in over 5yrs. just around town.

this.

In my Scamp, though, I leave the shoulder belt tucked up in its mounts on the side of the headliner. Haven't been stopped for that (yet).

Ditto in my 'Cuda. I DID install 3-point belts in TurboScamp when I re-did the interior since this will be my daily driver. My turbo guy thought I was nuts for not installing 5-point harnesses, but at least the 3-point belt is a big improvement over lap belts only.

I'm taking the seatbelts out of my '56. The car didn't come with them from the factory so that will be my little way of sticking it to the man. I know that it's not the smartest idea I've ever had but it is my choice. I've put less than 300 miles on the car in over 5yrs. just around town.

68-340-s, We'll be praying for you. This is America, and you can do what you want as long as it's legal. When people start telling you that you can't do something we end up like Russia or California. I just hope you stay alive.

i get pulled over in my 73 duster for "not wearing" one frequently...but when they look and see the lap belt, they say that if that was all that was factory then i was alright with just that

I think most state laws are, if equiped from factory you must have at least that betl. And I would tink if you improved to newer modern belts its your choice and they should not say anything bout that. Just my .01 worth anyway.

Thanks for the replies gent's....I couldn't find anywhere that says I don't have to wear it, but saftey dictates I should wear both!:evil5::brave:

68-340-s, We'll be praying for you. This is America, and you can do what you want as long as it's legal. When people start telling you that you can't do something we end up like Russia or California. I just hope you stay alive.
Yeah, kinda like the seat belt "law", huh?

George

Well, George, that's kinda what I was talking about. If his '56 didn't have them from the factory, and I'm pretty sure it didn't, there's no law to make him instal them, or leave them in if he installed them later. I don't want anyone telling me what modifications I can and can't make to my car. I just really hope he never needs those belts. I didn't mean to insult anyone from California (other than the legislators). We have too many laws, and too many people who do nothing but make laws to replace common sense. The reason I compared California to Russia is that is where most of the laws originate to make our hobby more difficult and expensive. Sorry Burntorange, I meant no harm.

My 65 Dart didn't have a shoulder belt attachment point on the roof, and I saw no easy way to add one, so I looked for convertible seats. I got Cobra seats cheap, with a shoulder belt loop at the top of the seat. I haven't found belts yet, but many will work. More vehicles have shoulder belts integrated into the seat lately, even sedans, but some look a bit odd with the shoulder belt assembly bulging on one side.

Well, George, that's kinda what I was talking about. If his '56 didn't have them from the factory, and I'm pretty sure it didn't, there's no law to make him instal them, or leave them in if he installed them later. I don't want anyone telling me what modifications I can and can't make to my car. I just really hope he never needs those belts. I didn't mean to insult anyone from California (other than the legislators). We have too many laws, and too many people who do nothing but make laws to replace common sense. The reason I compared California to Russia is that is where most of the laws originate to make our hobby more difficult and expensive. Sorry Burntorange, I meant no harm.

I here you it has been bad around here in this state for a long time. As long as you are not calling me a Communist were cool:happy10: I did not serve my country in the Navy to be called that. Sorry for getting all bent out of shape.

Good thread idea; got me wondering if Illnois law states "seat belts" or includes shoulder belts.

[SIZE=+2]The Illinois Safety Belt Law[/SIZE]
Revised July 3, 2003____________________________________________________________

REQUIREMENTS
Each driver and front seat passenger of a motor vehicle operated on a street or highway in this State shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt; except that, a child less than 16 years of age shall be protected as required pursuant to the Child Passenger Protection Act.
Each driver under the age of 18 years and each of the driver’s passengers under the age of 18 years of a motor vehicle operated on a street or highway in this State shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt.
Each driver of a motor vehicle transporting a child 6 years of age or more, but less than 16 years of age, in the front seat of the motor vehicle shall secure the child in a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt.
EXEMPTIONS

• A driver or passenger frequently stopping and leaving the vehicle or delivering property from the vehicle, if the speed of the vehicle between stops does not exceed 15 miles per hour.
  • A driver or passenger possessing a written statement from a physician that such person is unable, for medical or physical reasons, to wear a seat safety belt.
  • A driver or passenger possessing an official certificate or license endorsement issued by the appropriate agency in another state or country indicating that the driver is unable for medical, physical, or other valid reason to wear a seat safety belt.
  • A driver operating a motor vehicle in reverse.
  • A motor vehicle with a model year prior to 1965.
  • A motorcycle or motor driven cycle.
  • A motorized pedal cycle.
  • A motor vehicle which is not required to be equipped with seat safety belts under federal law.
  • A motor vehicle operated by a rural letter carrier of the United States Postal Service while performing duties as a rural letter carrier.
Violations
Failure to wear a seat safety belt in violation of this Section shall not be considered evidence of negligence, shall not limit the liability of an insurer, and shall not diminish any recovery for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or operation of motor vehicle.
A violation of this Section shall be a petty offense and subject to a fine not to exceed $25.
A law enforcement officer may not search or inspect a motor vehicle, its contents, the driver, or a passenger solely because of a violation of Section 12-603.1 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
SOURCE:
Illinois Compiled Statutes, Chapter 625, Act 5, Section 12-603.1

Wow, I didn't mean to start anything. I always wear my seat belt for my own safty... I don't think it should be required if you're over 18 (minors, yes). I mean after all 18yrs and older and it's your choice to be willing to go to war, fight for your (our) country and possibly die.... but darn it, you have to wear your seat belt. That doesn't sit right with me. My '56 is just my way of using one of our freedoms that for the most part have been taken away from us. I Realy want to put a 440 and 5spd in it, and at that time seat belts will be my requirement in the car. I'm all for safty, just not for some one else telling me how I have to do it. I am real carfull in the car to.... there's alot of dumb people on the road. :)

I'm right there with ya 4flats! Great post buddy.

George

I think if you are over the age of 18, should be your chioce, but your insurance company should have the right to refuse any payment for injury if you are hurt by not wearing your belt.

How do we get the kids to buckle up as a habit if we dont do the same ?
We can teach by example.

-
Back