Seat height question

-

FlamesAreWicked

Reaction score
My car is a 68 Dart GT which would have came with buckets. At some point in its history, a stock style bench was swapped in. Would the stock buckets sit lower than the bench? In plan to swap in some basic looking ProCar buckets eventually and hoping that would give me a little lower seating position. In its current config, it’s a bit higher than I would like. I know the ProCar brackets gives you 3 height positions. Hopefully the lowest one will be just right. I don’t wanna feel like I’m sitting on the floor but I’d like it to be lower than it currently is.

I have a 69 Dart GT with buckets, if it will help I can measure the factory height for you. LMK.

Do the ProCar seats come with any kind of mounting brackets??
I have installed SmittyBilt A100 Bostrum "style" seats in A and B bodies and their height was based om the brackets I had to make for them.

It’s probably just me, but I’d keep the bench so I could get my arm around my girl and modern car seats just don’t look right in a 60’s car.

9235E71F-1FBE-4C35-A435-FA28D8A2056F.png

Although these may look good.

My bench is butt worn and I feel like a lowrider when I'm driving

It’s probably just me, but I’d keep the bench so I could get my arm around my girl and modern car seats just don’t look right in a 60’s car.

Well I’ll probably be busy rowing gears with the 4spd.. plus there hasn’t been a lady around as of recent lol..

I have a 69 Dart GT with buckets, if it will help I can measure the factory height for you. LMK.
I appreciate the offer but it’s not necessary. I’m thinking since the bench mounts to the raised rails on the edge of the floor nearly the door sills and the buckets mount to the flatter part of the floor that it’ll be lower.. unless the difference in brackets/mounting hardware makes them the same

I’m gonna swap the bench for buckets either way.. just hope it’ll be lower.. if not I may just have to live with it or make some bracket mods

I would think so. When I swapped out very worn buckets for a new restored bench, I gained 3-4 inches in height (this was not a good thing — my hair touched the headliner). A lot of it depends on the condition of the foam & springs — you don't realize how much they sag over 50 years.

I would think so. When I swapped out very worn buckets for a new restored bench, I gained 3-4 inches in height (this was not a good thing — my hair touched the headliner). A lot of it depends on the condition of the foam & springs — you don't realize how much they sag over 50 years.
The condition of the seats currently in it is pretty good. It’s been reupholstered at some point.. dark grey vinyl and light grey velour.. seem to have lots of spring, to me at least. I’m not a tall fella and it seems to sit high.

Being lots of cars now says have a high belt line, it gets ya used to that seating position in relationship to the window openings and dash height.

I have those Procar buckets in my 68 Barracuda. With the Procar brackets in their lowest height I sit a little higher than my original buckets (with saggy springs and broken rails :eek:). Not sure how they would compare to your bench but I plan to modify the brackets to get them a little lower. Good seats overall though.

68_Dart0024.jpg

After stumbling across this surfin the web.. at least as far as Dodge’s advertised specs go the 270 trim level which came with a bench seat compared to a GT/GTS trim level which had buckets.. the bench seat height is 8.9” and the bucket seat height is 8.3”. Doesn’t seem like much but may feel like more.. outside of a well worn seat bottom after 50+ years. Close to an inch difference in headroom between the two

This is from the Hamtramck archives

I know it's probably Blasphemy, but I put some '68 Camaro Buckets in mine.
They look pretty good in there on some aftermarket Sliders.

20230507_202348.jpg

-
Back