seat suggestions

-

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to aftermarket bucket seats for my 1970 Dart Swinger. It currently has a bench seat. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the aftermarket seats (Corbeau, Procar, Cipher Auto). Want something comfortable with a reclining back would be nice. Thought about redoing a set of original high backs, but it seems like I can just buy some for about the same price or even cheaper and have a nicer ride. Would like to hear some suggestions? Thanks for any input!

Cheapest and full-featured are used seats from a newer car. I am putting Sebring seats ($150/pair) in my 65 Dart and Cobra convertible seats ($50/pair) in my 64 Valiant. Both have a power driver's seat and gives shoulder belts. Sebring seats are easy since they have integral seat belts, as do many recent seats.

A bigger cost and effort might be installing a factory console shifter, if you like that. Might look funny if you don't put something in the gap. I would look for an after-market "drink holder" console or maybe adapt something from the junkyard, and keep the column shift.

Oops. I should have mentioned this car runs in the 11"s and I plan to get it into the 10's eventually. I figured I would go with a racing type seat with cut outs for belts.

Cheapest and full-featured are used seats from a newer car. I am putting Sebring seats ($150/pair) in my 65 Dart and Cobra convertible seats ($50/pair) in my 64 Valiant. Both have a power driver's seat and gives shoulder belts. Sebring seats are easy since they have integral seat belts, as do many recent seats.

A bigger cost and effort might be installing a factory console shifter, if you like that. Might look funny if you don't put something in the gap. I would look for an after-market "drink holder" console or maybe adapt something from the junkyard, and keep the column shift.

Thanks for giving me some direction. I'll be on the hunt for some like that with the integral seat belts.

Just make sure what ever you end up with that you reinforce the floor pan where they bolt in at. We had installed racing seats in the Duster for a while and ended up taking them back out and putting in our bench seat again,
We just couldnt get the seats from vibrating around, floorpan was just too weak.

Bob

A racing seat with a reclining seat back is unknown in my experience. We always used a fixed seat whose mounts were welded and bolted to the roll cage. Driver comfort/preference was accomplished by moving the entire seat. We passed on one driver because he could not be accomodated within the range of adjustments we could perform.

Of the seats mentioned, the Corbeau line is good. Recaro makes good competition seat$, too.

Thanks for the thread! The pictures help. I think I like the Corbeau Sport Seat the best.

-
Back