Seat Warmers??

-

cruzer71

Reaction score
I purchased some bucket seats at the swap meet for my 71 dart, and there is some type of electrical connections on the bottom of them. The guy i bought them from said they were out of a 73 duster. I'm curious to what they are for! Does anybody know?:neutral:

Attachments

• bucket seat.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 167
  • bottom of seat.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 138
My guess: Probably seat belt interlock, which would have been early '73.

seat belt interlock switch.
The government's one time attempt to protect use from ourselves.

That also illuminates the seatbelt warning light on the dash...

Seat warmers haha. Like stated above it is for the seat belt interlock that would not allow you to start the car with out buckling your seat belt. Quickly people found out that if they reached under the seat and unplugged the connector it rendered the whole set up useless. There will also be a small box on the back top passenger side of your engine firewall that could be used by a mechanic to start your car without having to be in the car with a seat belt on.

seat belt interlock switch.
The government's one time attempt to protect use from ourselves.
Read this news article from ALLPAR.

BMW bid could cut Chrysler costs
Posted on September 16th, 2013 • by David Zatz
belts.jpg
A BMW bid to bring back seat belt interlocks may help Chrysler to cut their own costs and weight.
The seat belt interlock was launched in 1974, alongside mandatory modern-style shoulder belts. The interlock prevented drivers from starting their cars until they had put on their shoulder belts — and gotten the front passenger to do the same. The interlock rule was prompted by an all-time peak of 54,589 motor-vehicle deaths in 1972, but it was only effective during model-year 1974.
Today, the United States is the only country to require automakers to build in safety mechanisms specifically for unbelted drivers, adding cost as airbags, controls, and various safety mechanisms are specially designed for this group. BMW has proposed using seat belt interlocks, as an alternative to redesigning cars for the unbelted-driver standards; if granted, this rule change would apply to Chrysler and other automakers as well.
For more information, including NHTSA’s response to BMW, how Chrysler provided an “escape hatch” from the interlock, and the public’s reaction to the system (along with a 1974 Chrysler video), see Daniel Stern’s full article,return of the seat belt interlock.

-
Back