Second guessing.

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
I am a pretty firm believer in yearone , they have treated me good and worked with me on things that most places would not.

anyhow, a few weeks ago I put my body panels on order for my duster (driver and passenger side lower rear quarter panel patches and a new tail panel).

they said all they could get me right away was the drivers side patch panel and the others would ship as soon as they could get their hands on them.

4 or so days later the drivers patch showed up in a box .....it looked good

now today I have one large box sitting on my porch from yearone.

inside this box was another box that had my tail panel in it (looked good aswell) HOWEVER stuffed beside that box was my other quarter panel patch (not in a box of its own....just stuffed inside the main box next to the box that contained the tail panel).

when I pulled the panel out , one of the edges was curled over and right on a body line.

it did not happen during shipping ....the box it was all shipped in was dent/scuff free, so the part left yearone looking the way it did.

I emailed them and let them know so I can try to figure out if/when they can get me a replacement and the process of doing so. still waiting to hear back from them on it though. (replacement is probably on back order too and Ill be waiting another couple weeks to a month.....ughhhh)..... also the $2.50 protection plan paper work says "guarantees you the immediate replacement of any broken or damaged items" .....not sure how that "guarantee" stands up if the parts needed are on back order.

anyhow....the thing that piss's me off the most is...... they charge so much for shipping and I paid shipping on EACH item .......yet they decided to cut corners and save themselves the shipping costs and package both the items in one box ......that does not seam right to me?!?.

I know they have box's there that would fit the patches nicely to ship in....because my drivers side patch panel came in one.

seems like if they were going to combine shipping that they could have charged less for shipping or at the very least did a better job inspecting the item before shipment or do a better job at packaging.

sorry for the rant guys.....just a little bummed about it. hopefully they find a way to make it right.....if not than I will stop spreading the good words I have previously had to say about my experience's with dealing with them.

here are a few pictures....kind of hard to see, but one picture is the stuff in the box and the other 2 pictures are of the bend in the panel

Attachments

• IMG_20110308_182837.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20110308_182929.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20110308_183007.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 240
You know, that is those scumbags sucking every last penny out of us guys, ans look what they will do to save on the shipping! They charged you what, 16 to ship it. Now lets do the math. It would of cost them like 6.00 to ship it. So there they make 10 bucks off the bat. But no, they are not happy with that. Whay not make the full 16.00 they did just that. And you get screwed in the end

I AM A FOOL TOO. I NEED ONE PART AND IT WAS 6.99 BUT TO MY DOOR, IT WAS ALMOST 19.99. YEA, I BOUGHT IT CAUSE I NEED IT. NEVER AGAIN

Actually shipping was $22.11 per patch panel and for the tail panel shipping was $38.05 ...so it came to a total of $82.27 and then they tacked on some other freight charge or something somewhere along the line because of the size of the tail panel I guess and it came out to $96.18 in shipping alone! and they still combined shipping on 2 of my items! hell even ebay offers their customers combined shipping discounts......I just feel like I was ran dry and wasnt even asked to go out to dinner afterward HAHAHA

hopefully they make it right

Year one definatly has shipping cost issues!
And until they get away from UPS it will not change I'm afraid.
And good luck getting a damage claim from UPS too!
I am 0 for 6 with them (Improperly/Insufficent Packeging by Shipper it says) You lose!
It has cost them my small sales completely.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Later,
Bruce B.

I have my fingers crossed on them not giving me any issues replacing it.

year one has the $2.50 protection plan where they say they immediately ship you a replacement part and THEY will handle the insurance claim.

so I am just waiting on an email back from them to see what can be done about the hole thing.

if I HAVE to ....I can MAKE the panel work for me but it will require a little more time and effort and money.

thats not the point though, the point is...I ordered replacement panels because I wanted to get away from the hole "make the panel work as best as I can" mentality.

I could have saved my original panels but it would have required more time,effort and money than I wanted to bother with.

But I will keep everyone up to date on how they plan on fixing this.

Year one has been great on replacement parts, the last 2 they didn't even want the damaged/incorrect ones back.
But I always called them - never emailed.

Later,
Bruce B.

break out the hammer and dolly that aint no big deal should only take a min or two to straighten it back out......

I agree on the year one shipping though i's way too much. (hence why I don't buy from them)

I know its not a "big deal" to fix it.

but the point is, I bought NEW panels to avoid messing around with fixing panels.....I got them to cut out the bad and put in the new.

and the fact that they chinsed out on the shipping is another factor.

if I was paying bottom shelf or even mid shelf prices....I wouldnt so much care about bottom shelf or mid shelf quality......but I paid top shelf and that's what I expected and that's not what I got.

Its like ordering a pizza and it showing up and all the cheese is stuck to the lid of the box.......some people might say, oh well I guess ill still eat it.....but most people expect to get what they paid for.

Year One is already treading on thin ice and these type of threads will be their demise.

Yearone also know we in the mopar community have limited options compared to the Mustang and Camaro crowd.

not to change the subject but I just got my new mopar classic Industries catalog

about to flip through it

I had some parts on order from Year One

they told me that they would be shipped within a few weeks

as they were not in stock when I placed my order

I followed up with them every 2 weeks via email and was told that it was

still on back order...I placed my order near the beginning of December

last year

thanks to FABO I found another supplier that had them in stock and I will

have my parts by the end of this week

Thanks FABO!

I will remain faithful to Year One. I've seen Classic Industries mentioned a few times recently which is new to me. How long have they been supporting our hobby ? They have a show room or just a catalog ?
And ask a body shop how many body panels come through their door without a slight flaw somewhere.

year one is good but im sorry I will use AMD metal hands down to year one metal any day

why buy body panels from year one? there are other places that you can buy them to cut out expensive year one. there is nothing in that catalog that you can't get cheaper just by doing some research. all you get from year one is convenience.

I will remain faithful to Year One. I've seen Classic Industries mentioned a few times recently which is new to me. How long have they been supporting our hobby ? They have a show room or just a catalog ?
And ask a body shop how many body panels come through their door without a slight flaw somewhere.

classic industries is the same thing as year one. just a catalog of others peoples stuff in one place that you get charged for the convenience of having them in one book.

classic industries is the same thing as year one. just a catalog of others peoples stuff in one place that you get charged for the convenience of having them in one book.

I have to disagree. Year One has been supporting our hobby for many years. They spent a fortune on ink and paper advertising long before the internet came along. That helps support those magazines too. I've been to the Year One showroom in Brazleton GA several times. I've seen their presence at every event I've attended going back to 1975.
I dont know how many jobs they provide or how mach tax they pay.
Show me a pic of PG Classics, PUI, or Classic Industries, at any event ?
I've been contacted by 2 catalog companies who were interested in listing my IRV. They dont want to inventory the parts, just forward their sales orders to be drop shipped.
I declined.

its not year one metal anyway. its good mark, amd or whoever else they use.

You are 100% right.
I go with factory direct if i can.
If not, then go with who's cheapest for the same stuff.
There isn't 20 manufacturers out there making parts. Just 1 or 2.

I have to disagree. Year One has been supporting our hobby for many years. They spent a fortune on ink and paper advertising long before the internet came along. That helps support those magazines too. I've been to the Year One showroom in Brazleton GA several times. I've seen their presence at every event I've attended going back to 1975.
I dont know how many jobs they provide or how mach tax they pay.
Show me a pic of PG Classics, PUI, or Classic Industries, at any event ?
I've been contacted by 2 catalog companies who were interested in listing my IRV. They dont want to inventory the parts, just forward their sales orders to be drop shipped.
I declined.

who cares? all the stuff in year one can be sourced elsewhere and most of the time cheaper. its just a convenient to have it in one place. and don't kid yourself., year one drop ships their share of parts too. yes they have been to shows for years, yes they have had catalogs out for years. you want to know why? because they make a ton of freaking money off of guys too lazy to do some leg work to find the stuff they have in the catalog. they aren't in the hobby because of the goodness of their hearts. its because they make a ton of money. year one is exactly like the new comers. just a catalog with other peoples parts in it. no more no less.

i agree, year one wanted a set amount for rear frame rails for an e body, i think was close to 380 plus shipping each..for goodmark. I called goodmark up direct and got each for 190 plus shipping.. so a bit over 400....

as everyone said, just a book with all the parts in one place. With the internet now ill do some of my own work to save 400 bucks.. is why year one can have all those nice projects cars and give stuff out for tv shows.

who cares? all the stuff in year one can be sourced elsewhere and most of the time cheaper. its just a convenient to have it in one place. and don't kid yourself., year one drop ships their share of parts too. yes they have been to shows for years, yes they have had catalogs out for years. you want to know why? because they make a ton of freaking money off of guys too lazy to do some leg work to find the stuff they have in the catalog. they aren't in the hobby because of the goodness of their hearts. its because they make a ton of money. year one is exactly like the new comers. just a catalog with other peoples parts in it. no more no less.

i agree with you

year one is good but im sorry I will use AMD metal hands down to year one metal any day

The panels I received were all AMD panels (came in AMD box's and/or AMD stickers .....stuffed inside of a year one box.

why buy body panels from year one? there are other places that you can buy them to cut out expensive year one. there is nothing in that catalog that you can't get cheaper just by doing some research. all you get from year one is convenience.

I bought my panels through year one because they are a well known company for one... unlike lets say buying from ebay for example where you are taking a gamble on quality and if something were to go wrong then you have to deal with sellers unwilling to work with you or a lengthy paypal resolution process.

Also......I did do alot of searching and I DID find the parts I needed cheaper elsewhere.....I then contacted Kevin King the president at yearone and told him that I found the quarter patch panels for considerably less and that I found the tail panel I was in need of on ebay for much less......and he price matched them both for me (even the ebay price!) and then even knocked an additional $30.00 off of the total. The only thing I paid full price on was year ones shipping costs.

UPDATE!

I got an email from YearOne and they said that as of this morning they are shipping me out a new replacement panel and at no cost to me and that I did not even have to hassle with shipping the old panel back to them.

this is the reason I prefer to deal with a larger company is hassle free service if for some reason a problem arises .

so needless to say, yes there was a little hiccup in the deal....BUT YearOne stepped up and didnt second guess any of it or try to fight me on making it right....they kept customer service in mind.

so , I will continue to do business with yearone.

I will update everyone when the new patch shows up.

I understand why Dusterdude bought his items from YearOne, they supported him when he was the Young Gun in Mopar Muscle and went out of their way to help him out, so he was sort of returning the favor by purchasing additional items from them. Nothing wrong with that!!

However, in all the years I have been restoring cars, I have never bought a part from YearOne for the very reason abodyjoe states, they are just a middleman and make their markup on convienience and shipping. If you are restoring a car, you should do your homework and seek out the best places to purchase your parts...meaning go right to the source of the parts if you can. Don't be in a hurry to open the catalog and get out the credit card or it's gonna cost you. Plan your restoration and do your research in advance to give yourself time to find the best price and availability.

Perfect case in point... I bought my Spitfire headers well in advance of needing them way back when Harold first put them on the market, and right after he changed them up so they would actually work. I paid $177.00. In the Laysons catalog soon after, they were available for $325.00!! Why so much??? Because Harold couldn't keep up with private orders?? Or was it because they bought every available set to keep on hand and could hit the uninformed consumer who didn't want to deal with Harold, or possibly didn't even know that was where you could get them. I'll bet they didn't even pay the $177.00 retail so they were making a killing on the price of convienience.

Bottom line, take the time to do your homework and save yourself some $$$!! Thats my 2 cents!!! Geof

yes Geof, another reason I went with yearone is because they backed me when I made it in mopar muscle mag so I wanted to return the favor by keeping my money with them.

as for researching, I did a bunch of it......for example ..a tail panel for my duster.......even if I were to order it DIRECTLY from AMD.......I still would have paid $50.00 more than the price Kevin King over at yearone got me on mine for the exact same AMD panel.

I saved all around with the prices yearone gave me.....the onlything I probably paid more for was the shipping.

anyhow, its all straightened out now and they fixed the hiccup so all is well.

-
Back