secrets to taking off undercoating?

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
I started scraping today and some of it was darker and came off no problem and the lighters spots are hard as rock and don't scrap for ****. any hints?:eek:ops:

propane torch, PB blaster, Diesel Fuel

Maybe not in combination with each other.

Yup. I do the propane torch and come behind it with a sand blaster.

One of those cheap Needle Scalers from Harbor Freight will totally destroy any undercoating that gets in its way :D

I spent ages with a torch & scraper on one wheelwell in my Demon, the other wheelwell i took to shiny metal in a few minutes with the scaler.

I used steamcleaner with car on lift. Nasty job but it melted off and looked like cresote. Left the metal very clean and did not harm the factory zinc coating,Joe

I always use a propane torch and wipe the residue off with lacquer thinner.

Those oscillating scraper tools are awesome. They really work well.
However, I just bought one of those 'needle' tools previously referenced and although I haven't yet tried it, I'm convinced that would be the way to go through the heavy stuff.

When you get down to where there's any thin leftover layer stuff, brake cleaner takes it right off.

Of course, the needle scaler has the advantage/disadvantage of showing you all the spots where the metal is rusted thin......

Steam cleaner..

Every nook and cranny spotless.

If I was smart, after steam cleaning it,
I would have just soaked it all down with denatured alcohol and then epoxied it,
but I sand blasted it all next, then epoxy. So it took way more time.

Regarding a torch and scraper, people say a rosebud / flare tip on the torch is good to spread the flame out wide and less hot. You just want it warm enough to make the undercoat soft, not too hot.

Attachments

• (41).jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 388
Steam cleaner..

Every nook and cranny spotless.

If I was smart, after steam cleaning it,
I would have just soaked it all down with denatured alcohol and then epoxied it,
but I sand blasted it all next, then epoxy. So it took way more time.

Regarding a torch and scraper, people say a rosebud / flare tip on the torch is good to spread the flame out wide and less hot. You just want it warm enough to make the undercoat soft, not too hot.

A rosebud torch tip makes the area very hot in a small area not spread it out... You use a rose bud to shrink metal because it confines the heat to one area.

Attachments

• Flame Warmer.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 328
Careful with brake cleaner and torch Phosgene Gas it creates will kill you

be careful using a needle scaler or you will have holes where you don't want them, I have been using one taking drylock off concrete blocks,Joe

On my car the previous owner had sprayed undercoating on everything in the engine bay. Made one hell of a mess. I ended up hooking my power washer to the hot water heater. It took a while but got it clean. A steam cleaner would be faster but you will have to be careful if the car is already painted.

I got one of the needle tools that I am going to try out. might check out the paint stripper to. Car is going to paint soon so not much time left

I felt your pain. Note scraper in hand and undercoat-free fenderwell.
Propane torch, scraper, and protective equipment if I remember correctly

Attachments

• scraping.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 186
Aircraft paint stipper put in on then scrape it off. No hard work needed. Works like a champ.

-
Back