Seeking a loose bulkhead wire connection fix.

-

2kids

Reaction score
Hey,
1971 Dart swinger /6.

The fusible link wire that runs to my starter relay seems loose right where it connects to the bulkhead. The way I figured it out was when we were test operating the car and it would not turn over at all...I gave a slight wiggle to that wire and it fired right up...we tried that a couple of times. Then we turned off the car for a closer look and the connection seem quite loose right where it connects to the bulkhead.

I'm just searching for a reasonable solution for this....I was told maybe superglue?

Thanks!
Darcy

Hey,
1971 Dart swinger /6.

The fusible link wire that runs to my starter relay seems loose right where it connects to the bulkhead. The way I figured it out was when we were test operating the car and it would not turn over at all...I gave a slight wiggle to that wire and it fired right up...we tried that a couple of times. Then we turned off the car for a closer look and the connection seem quite loose right where it connects to the bulkhead.

I'm just searching for a reasonable solution for this....I was told maybe superglue?

Thanks!
Darcy
please do this the right way. super glue is not the answer

I've reviewed the info on that thread and it looks like a good way to go. Any other suggestions just to make the connection less loose for now?

~~with the battery disconnected~~i suppose you could unplug the bulkhead connectors from the engine compartment side, clean the male connector ends. the female bulkhead connectors could be a different story. you might be able to work it on and off a few times in attempt to get a better connection, but in all reality, it took me all of 2 hours to do the above modifications. but i ran my wires through a seperate hole and grommet through the firewall and bypassed the bulkhead all together. i did exactly how it is outlined above and added a volt gauge.

go to NAPA or Car Quest and get packard 56 connectors. in the weatherpack connector catalog if they look at you funny when asked. replace the old connectors with the new ones these are direct replacement for the factory ones.

Repair the old one or buy an exact replacement from somewhere like Evans Wiring. His comes with the plastic connector at one end and the molded spade end at the other that goes into the bulkhead. It's a very snug fit.

I would pull the wire terminals out of the plastic connectors, bead blast them, crimp the female end a little tighter, spray the connector with lithium grease, and reinstall.

-
Back