Seems like a deal, I think

-

Mcduster

Reaction score
My friend just called me and he found a 73 road runner with a sure grip in it and I don't know what gear and if the rear would fit my a body, I was thinking if anything I could use the third member. I don't have a 83/4 I have been looking for one. The guys want 120 for it. I was looking at maybe buying a new one but if I can get this I will jump on it. Thank you for your input.

Well, the B body rear end will not fit the A body due to width. The center section is probably not a suregrip equiped rear and not really worth the expense up upgrading it to one since you can get one new, all new for a reasonable price.
$120 for a 8-3/4 center is ethier a know nothing guy giving it away or it's an open rear. Know for sure that it's a sure grip before you get it.

thanks for your input, I guess I will just get a new one and just suck it up cause if you get it done right you really don't have to worry about it anymore.

Thats right. But I just saw a thread the other day of a guy on here that put a B-body 8 3/4 in his Duster. How is that possible???

Thought it was an earlier B rear, yeah you have to move the perchs.

It's going to take a wheel with a ton of backspace. The rear is about 6" wider than a stock A rear. The 68-70 B rear is only 3" wider than a stock A.

If it has a sure grip, see if you can pull the pumpkin first to verify, it's a good deal at $120 regardless of gear ratio. Sometimes, you can look in the fill hole and see the carrier.

Good luck

Thought it was an earlier B rear, yeah you have to move the perchs.

It's going to take a wheel with a ton of backspace. The rear is about 6" wider than a stock A rear. The 68-70 B rear is only 3" wider than a stock A.

If it has a sure grip, see if you can pull the pumpkin first to verify, it's a good deal at $120 regardless of gear ratio. Sometimes, you can look in the fill hole and see the carrier.

Good luck

I believe you have to move perches on both (although I thought I read that someone really tweaked the springs to make it fit wo/moving them) but since the earlier b-body is shorter in length, you don't need as much offset on the wheels.

Well, the B body rear end will not fit the A body due to width. The center section is probably not a suregrip equiped rear and not really worth the expense up upgrading it to one since you can get one new, all new for a reasonable price.
$120 for a 8-3/4 center is ethier a know nothing guy giving it away or it's an open rear. Know for sure that it's a sure grip before you get it.
I bought a rear last year out of a 73 R.runner,it,s a 1 wheel peel with 2.76 gears.It was also bbp with 3 inch studs(I paid $100)The center,I put in my 66 Dart 6 cyl. with an A-body 8 3/4.$120 for any 8 3/4,s.g or not is a deal in my area!Can,t find to many around,so I buy when available.

Hey I went to get the rearend and it is not a sure grip!!! But I bought it anyway cause I don't have a 83/4 axle. I figure I will but it in my car anway and when a get a chance to get a sure grip third member I will got with that being my car only has a 7 1/4 in it right now. I still think it is a deal at $125

If its got a suregrip and working fine that $120.00 is a steal..jump on it..

-
Back