• Bad idea

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Quite the topic isn't it!
I see a common thread....The insurance and who to blame for fender bender.
I know a few insurance people and in their opinion, if you get behind the wheel of the car you are ultimately responsible hands free or not. These self parking cars have already started the debate over liability, just the tip of the iceberg so far. Let the car self park and it taps the car in front or rear, people blame the car it was parking.....but no its your fault...they cant get cash from the car...they want it from you.
Interesting, GPS nav. will drive for us.....hope a chunk of space debris doesn't take out that satellite as I relax on I-29 at 75 MPH....crap!

I just read on my phone's Yahoo news that a Tesla Model S somehow was put in the Summon mode and drove itself under the back of a tractor trailer far enough the break the windshield. Tesla blames the owner who of course denies any fault. Regardless, in my mind at least, I thought the car was designed to stop itself if it saw an obstruction in front of it which it didn't do. It seems to me these things still have a long way to go before they'll be something close to fool proof. And I still don't know if I could trust them.

My question is what happens when someone hacks into the system and drives you into someone else or over a cliff? We already have seen this occur recently with someone having the ability to take control of your car. NO THANKS. As what was said earlier I want control of my own fate.

Might be ok in california where roads and sensors don't get covered in snow, slush, salt and whatnot. Canada? Ha. Oh but you have to clean the snow off your sensors before you start out. Well, we have idiots who don't bother cleaning snow off their windows now and you expect them to clean sensors?

Says someone that has never been to California. Hey, Canadian, we have snow here too. And frost, and slush, and probably even "whatnot". No salt, because we're not dumb enough to use it on the roads here (turns out it kills trees, which we also have a lot of). This whole state isn't beach, it's not always 70*F, and it does snow. That's why we have so many awesome ski resorts in Lake Tahoe, Big bear, etc. In the spring you can ski and surf on the same day, just a few hours drive apart. Try that in Canada. Oh, and I've been to Canada too. Not all frozen tundra there either. Quite pleasant a lot of the time in British Columbia, very similar to the Tahoe area. Little colder in the winter, but snow is snow.

As for the self driving cars, the Google self driving vehicles have logged 1.3 million miles and only had one at fault accident. That's so much better than human operators it's not even funny. They're not perfect, as the accident showed, but compared to the average driver they're a Jedi. Doesn't mean I want one, and hopefully we don't see driving our own cars outlawed in my lifetime. But even in their current form they're safer.

Google’s Self-Driving Car Caused Its First Crash

Maybe too many dozing off behind the wheel? Personally I think that its for when the time comes the goverment can roll your windows up, lock your doors and drive you straight to the nearest FEMA camp for indoctrination into the NWO !!
OH OH and I work at GM building the damn things and believe me, its pretty damn complicated.

This thread reminds me of military aircraft accident investigations: write up = auto land feature was too rough. Answer= auto land feature not installed on this aircraft. Meaning that the pilot relied on the aircraft to land itself even though it wasn't capable of doing so. Doh!!!

This thread reminds me of military aircraft accident investigations: write up = auto land feature was too rough. Answer= auto land feature not installed on this aircraft. Meaning that the pilot relied on the aircraft to land itself even though it wasn't capable of doing so. Doh!!!

Now that was a bit of luck!

It IS what the future holds.

....and so is banning cars that are over 20-25 years old from being used on public roads for anything more than a parade. The writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of time as to when the technology is viable, and they right mix in congress and the white house.

It would sure be a help in a construction zone that says right lane closed 2 miles ahead by getting over and not racing up just to cut off everyone and bring traffic to a stop.
I see ford is advertising a knob on p/ups to turn right or left when backing a trailer already. guess it turns the wheels in the appropriate direction for the trailer.

It IS what the future holds.

....and so is banning cars that are over 20-25 years old from being used on public roads for anything more than a parade. The writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of time as to when the technology is viable, and they right mix in congress and the white house.
That cash for clunkers program awhile back was just a start for getting em off the road, before long we will have to buy a car from the goverment owned (bailouts) car companys.

-
Back