sell orignal 318 or not?

-

dragondan64

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, I have swapped my original 318 for a rebuilt 69 340 in my 68 barracuda fastback and was wondering what to do with the original 318? Keep it and sell with car or sell separately? I was thinking of rebuilding it and bagging it for when I sell the car incase the buyer wants the original engine, does that make sense? It has 80,000 original miles on it and ran strong but burned a little oil, valve seals and guides are shot and lifters rattling when it starts.

I'm fighting the same dilemma. I own a 69 Barracuda Fastback with the original 318 except mine was overhauled a few years ago (runs real good). I plan to build a 318 stroker (390) to replace it. I thought about keeping the original 318 engine in case I ever sold the car but, although the car was all original when I bought it, I've made quite a few modifications that make it "not so original". Even if I kept the engine to sell with the car (if I ever sold it) the car will no longer be all original anymore anyway. So I figured....if I sell the engine I can use the money to build a better stroker, making the car more valuable. If I keep the engine it will sit there taking up space. If you have lots of extra space and lots of extra money then the decision would be much easier...KEEP IT!! In my case I have very little space and OK on money but I don't have endless amounts, so I'll probably sell it.
PS - I plan to get the Money Order for the mirror this morning!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01623.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC01625.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC01629.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC01628.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC02662.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC02673.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 270
Right to the scrap yard,where the 318 out of my duster went..........

What are the odds that anyone would want to put the original 318 back in this particular car ? I've seen a few times that someone was seeking the matching number engine for their restoration. Always a formula S, Superbird, other, special production.
Only real plus a 68 model 318 has is a forged steel crank. I does have engineered dependability and longevity though. Those are not common to aftermarket performance builds. What are the odds you will need those before you sell the car ?

Unless you really need the cash I'd keep the engine. Who knows, in a few years these might be Must Have cars and the first question you know will be "is this the original engine?"

If you ever plan on selling the car down the road, I would put the original engine back in the car and then you will have a nice 340 sitting there for maybe another project or can get more out of the 340 than the 318 now. Since I just bought a 69 Valiant that is all original, there is something about a car with original drivetrain in it.

I have a nice 340 out of a Challenger. It was intended to go in my unmolested Dart 318. It' s been years and I just don't seem to be able to go ahead with it.

Thanks guys, I am now more confused then before LMAO!! I surely don't "need" to sell the engine for money issues it's more of a question like stated above...."whats the chances of a buyer wanting to put it back in the car" I have plenty of room for storage so that's not an issue. I guess I will hang onto it and "when' I sell the car I can sell it with the car or if the buyer doesn't want it I can just sell it later. Anyways thanks for the input.

I passed on a car years ago because the seller threw out the original /6 & transmission. It was a very cool car before it was modified, I wanted to put it back to stock.

318 engines do not sell for much. How about skipping the rebuild, just do a cosmetic restoration so it looks pretty in the garage?

years back I would have a runner, bee, charger, etc for sale. even 20 years ago, original drivetrains were rare in a high po car. if I did have # matching, NOONE seems to care. when the car was correct but not # matching, Every idiot( sorry) that called demanded #matching...... so after many years I decided to do what I want and the heck with it!@ LOL
it would be great to keep every engine and part we mihht someday need, but most of us run out of room and $$$! LOL good luck....

I tossed my original spun bearing 273 4bbl in a field before I knew it was worth more than a good 318. Store it, your not going to make any money on it and the price is not going to go down.

Keep it! Maybe you'll get a project that needs a motor, you might need a part and there it'll be, might want to rebuild it and put it back in, it'll fit under the bench and not say a word, try that with the wife or kids!!!! ;-)

Can you ever have to many extras? Lol I'd say keep it. Once it's gone good luck ever finding it if you want a #s matching car.

And Geof, my wife would fit under the bench but the not saying a word part? Lol

Keep it, it is not at this point in time worth rebuilding, lube it up good so it don't rust.
Maybe 40 years in the future, numbers matching 318 may bring good money, I doubt it.
But look at the price difference on a same year corvette with numbers matching block or a hemi car.

What exactly do you think you're gonna get for it? It's certainly not like it's a huge monetary decision. It's a 318. It's pretty much worthless to anyone else. But you.

I guess I will hang onto it and "when' I sell the car I can sell it with the car or if the buyer doesn't want it I can just sell it later.

Good idea- I wouldn't bother with rebuilding it though (at this point)- no sense doing that so it can sit. Be better to do it before it goes back in (if it ever does).

I took mine out of the Dart back in 2002. I purchased anther dart that I am planning on using the 318 until I can afford to build my 340 (the 225 slant/904 might end up at the scrapper) When I think numbers matching car its either a 340 or a big block car. 318 and slant cars are the reason 360 swaps are so common.

Unless you're a matching numbers-horny 100-point resto-freak, most cars simply bring more with a better engine in it, period.
Thinking/hoping your car will be worth more with the original worndown engine is just fooling yourself.

For those still living in their "what's-it-worth-to-others-when-I-sell"-era, imo they should wake up and start appreciating what it's worth to them now, this very moment.

You know, those numbers matching resto guys that want to flip the cars at Barrett Jackson - they're always looking for original 318 cars...

It aint worth much if you sell it so I would not be planning on anything extra for the stroker. BY any chance know anybody with a boat?? May make a good anchor....

keep it. all your 340 goodies will bolt right on. the heads, cam, intake and carb will bolt on, and it would run surprisingly hard.

-
Back