Sellin a car = bullshit

-
tire kickers, window shoppers, Dreamers, low ballers, Flakers, Rude and not very smart Bozos....

call at all times of the day to ask questions that are already answered on the AD... and after answering all the questions that were in the AD and talking for a week they show up and offer a quarter of the price..... lol what a waste ... i feel for you SNAKE

they are full of it been there done that i understand trying to get the best "deal" but im not a sales man i price at reasonable and there ya' GO.... take it or leave it.

people dont understand these older cars at times between a rust bucket "project" and a running driving car. with no cancer rust...

these older cars if they are running driving thats number one to me and the most important thing.

Sorry not going to disclose the price here.What I feel is killing the sale for most,its not # matching,not a 340 car or a GT,Swinger,GTS,they would rather buy some junk,rusted out car just so they can stick there nose in the air and say ya its a 340 GT OR A 340 SWINGER,OR 383 GTS and be proud of it.Sure they can find that car but still are not willing to pay for it.

where can i see your car? curious to see it now. :D:glasses7::happy1:

found it.

nice looking car, wish it was a 1968 though i would consider. GOOD LUCK!

There is no ettiquette. Business is business. I've been on both sides of this fence and I'm sure I'ma dick to many sellers and buyers as a result. I was just involved in buying my step-son's first car. Limited cash, etc etc etc. I pissed off several people. but we got a decent car at a fair price (and a Dodge to boot!).
If you need money - sell the car and solve your problem. If you can make do without selling it, don't. But don't ***** about guys telling you what it's worth to them because your numbers differ. Just tell them no. I personally called them names...lol. I've also shut the garage door on one guy's feet.
Honestly - no joy rides or "hear it run" (when selling engines) until an offer is made and the ride/run is to validate the description and verify condition.

I will take that to heart.

Sorry not going to disclose the price here.What I feel is killing the sale for most,its not # matching,not a 340 car or a GT,Swinger,GTS,they would rather buy some junk,rusted out car just so they can stick there nose in the air and say ya its a 340 GT OR A 340 SWINGER,OR 383 GTS and be proud of it.Sure they can find that car but still are not willing to pay for it.

your selling your car and dont want to disclose the price?i dont get it.

your selling your car and dont want to disclose the price?i dont get it.

i get it. :coffee2:

No need to give a hard time.
He is here to discuss matter among FABO family who have most likely and apparently gone through the same thing not to sell...

if he was here to sell he would of posted it here to sell.

buying and selling these old cars and PARTS , without pissing people off is an ART. I have a friend that has been in this hobby since mid 80's, buying and selling tons of pats and an occasional project car. he has the ability to dicker on the price of parts, buying selling, and make a life long friend in the process. he can do the same with a car. most people don't have that skill.
last car I sold, I asked the guy if my price was more than fair market value. he stated my car was fairly priced, he just didn't want to pay my price. so I let him dicker me down a few $$$. I asked his occupation... he had the ability to pay me my price, he just wasn't gonna that day. a bird ion the hand is sometimes worth more than 2 sitting in the friggin tree!???? Ha

When i'm vending at a flea market and get lo balled i just smile and say no.
When we have hundreds of hours of labour tied up in our car (even if we enjoy it) low ball offers can be taken personally as an insult your work and your taste....but it is just business to the buyer.
Don't sweat it!

I do a lot of flipping on CL. One thing I learned is to never talk to much on the phone, text or email when your selling.

I give a very thorough description with lots of detailed pics in good lighting and my asking price on my listings. I never put OBO just an asking price 10-20% over what I want.

When the first wave of idiots call to ask stupid questions I refer them back to my posting. Gets rid of 99% of the tire kickers immediately.

When the second wave of morons calls to ask if I'll come down in price, I say "come over with cash....enough to pay full price and then you will be in a position to negotiate. Otherwise please read the add and that's my asking price". Once again gets rid of 99% of the exhaust pipe suckers......quickly

When someone finally does decide to come over I let them look at it without my presence. I say there it is look it over and if your interested come get me in my garage and I'll start it up. 99% of the time if they ask to hear it run I know they are serious so they get a test drive.

99% of the time I sell that car and it's to the first person who comes over to see it and a lot of the time it's for my asking price. I am always happy to negotiate as I have my buffer built in so I can sell it cheaper. That's the point of listing.......to sell my cars.

I went through CL hell like most people before i fine tuned the way to deal with folks so I sympathize with your plight. Don't let it become a personal issue...it's sales after all.:D

Oh the other 1% can suck it...you didn't deserve what I was selling anyway! :)

Good luck with your sale.

I do a lot of flipping on CL. One thing I learned is to never talk to much on the phone, text or email when your selling.

I give a very thorough description with lots of detailed pics in good lighting and my asking price on my listings. I never put OBO just an asking price 10-20% over what I want.

When the first wave of idiots call to ask stupid questions I refer them back to my posting. Gets rid of 99% of the tire kickers immediately.

When the second wave of morons calls to ask if I'll come down in price, I say "come over with cash....enough to pay full price and then you will be in a position to negotiate. Otherwise please read the add and that's my asking price". Once again gets rid of 99% of the exhaust pipe suckers......quickly

When someone finally does decide to come over I let them look at it without my presence. I say there it is look it over and if your interested come get me in my garage and I'll start it up. 99% of the time if they ask to hear it run I know they are serious so they get a test drive.

99% of the time I sell that car and it's to the first person who comes over to see it and a lot of the time it's for my asking price. I am always happy to negotiate as I have my buffer built in so I can sell it cheaper. That's the point of listing.......to sell my cars.

I went through CL hell like most people before i fine tuned the way to deal with folks so I sympathize with your plight. Don't let it become a personal issue...it's sales after all.:D

Oh the other 1% can suck it...you didn't deserve what I was selling anyway! :)

Good luck with your sale.
Well said:D

Your not telling me anything new ... my motto ... you want it /// i will send you a specific amount of photos //// i suggest come and see it in person... if not go F yourself ... i have sent deposits back because they get on my nerves ... I have had buyers tell me i am holding info back on my forsale vehicles ... i guess being honest is not always the best policy ????

That is what makes this world such a great place to live. If you list your car or anything for that matter at a price. I have a right to look at it and make you an offer. If it is to low all you have to say is no. At that point I have the right to make you a counter offer or leave! You shouldn't get mad about that. If I'm in the market for what you are selling the buyer and seller have the same two options. Yes or No. You may be mad at yourself because you approached the way to sell it the wrong way. If your firm on your price, tell the caller before he drives over. if his offer in your opinion is to low, just say no. As Moper said, you never take a looker on a joy ride. That only happens as a condition of the sale. If you want 12K and I offer you 7k, all you have to say is NO. I will then Make another offer or leave. No harm no foul. You have aright to ask any price you want, it's your car. I have the right to offer you what I will pay. It's the American way.

That is what makes this world such a great place to live. If you list your car or anything for that matter at a price. I have a right to look at it and make you an offer. If it is to low all you have to say is no. At that point I have the right to make you a counter offer or leave! You shouldn't get mad about that. If I'm in the market for what you are selling the buyer and seller have the same two options. Yes or No. You may be mad at yourself because you approached the way to sell it the wrong way. If your firm on your price, tell the caller before he drives over. if his offer in your opinion is to low, just say no. As Moper said, you never take a looker on a joy ride. That only happens as a condition of the sale. If you want 12K and I offer you 7k, all you have to say is NO. I will then Make another offer or leave. No harm no foul. You have aright to ask any price you want, it's your car. I have the right to offer you what I will pay. It's the American way.

if you go see a car that's listed for 12k and think a offer of 7k is reasonable that's just jack crack and a waste of time my counter offers are 2k-3k difference at most! As a buyer dont be disrespectful and offer anything less than 2k-3k is my opinion anything else is just a slap to the face,. If you don't intend to get anything close to the asking price as a buyer then your just wasting everyone's time really.

my opinion though.

If you're having trouble selling a car, you're either not representing it very well in the ad, or you're asking too much money IMO.

yes and no to the above.I know a fellow who will target an item and go back after it has been listed a long time and usually does well.
...not at half price though.

I always offer what I think it's worth, and usually saying "it's worth $*** to me". I've been haggled higher, and I've paid asking price when I felt it was worth it. I've gotten some stuff and cars dirt cheap. I also get shot down occasionally but that's fine. That's a seller's perogative.

I wish you peace of mind SNAKE. And the cash you need. I've been struggling for over a year myself.

I always offer what I think it's worth, and usually saying "it's worth $*** to me". I've been haggled higher, and I've paid asking price when I felt it was worth it. I've gotten some stuff and cars dirt cheap. I also get shot down occasionally but that's fine. That's a seller's perogative.

I wish you peace of mind SNAKE. And the cash you need. I've been struggling for over a year myself.
Thanks big time.

Well maybe Iam not selling this the right way.Go to Kijiji classic cars than to Ontario than Belleville type Dodge and its there,tell what am i doing wrong,if any.

and it makes a big difference what part of the country you live in. cars here in the boonies of Missouri don't bring what they do in K C or St Louis. some people can't drive an hour out of K C to look at a good car!! I know, I used to live out a ways from K C. I have bought some great cars for a great price that were a whole HOUR from the suburbs of K C ! Ha! and many people would not drive an hour to look at my cars. AND cars here in Missouri rarely bring the $$$ they will further East and West.
years back I would take videos of done cars. but then they would see reflections of surrounding stuff and they would claim its wavey.. on a car I guaranteed to be perfectly straight, so they would not come look. ...videos sent to people a long w ay off, not an hour or two away..
so I refuse to do videos an more. I try to tell people, I will send all the pics they want, BUT NO ONE can really tell looking at pics. let me walk around the car while on the phone, and I will tell any blems I see and anything else I don't remember about the car while I sit at the computer.

I been into quarters horses all my life, since a kid, that comes to 52 years experience with them. still learning about horses. people, I have just about figured out!!! Ha
horse for sale. they might be 500 mi away or have to fly in to look. they want a video. O K so I send it and I tell them I can tell them ALL about it , BUT the video won't tell them what they need to know. now I can tell them about the horse, BUT I can't tell them what their ability is. some people can't ride a stick horse. same way with these cars. some people have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, to themselves and their pocketbook !!???? Ha

I like momoparmans take on the whole thing!

I would lose the attitude in the ad. Are you selling a car or are you frustrated at trying to sell the car? You mix the two in your ad. Stick to the facts only in the ad. Isn't the point of this thread on fabo to vent your frustrations? Why also show those frustrations in the ad?? And saying it will only be posted for 2 weeks in the ad shows your not serious in selling it. If you need the money then you will list it until it sells.

Also if you want advice, why not just put the link to the ad in your thread instead of having people google it? Make it easy for members here to provide the advice.

Its all part of selling anything. Don't take it personally. I'd rewrite the add though too. Try an auction on ebay, if you really want to net out its potential value. A 7 day auction with a reserve will tell you if the market has interest close to your asking price.

-
Back