Selling a car seems to be so difficult!!

-
I myself cannot even think of buying a car until the spring time when I get my income tax return. Besides the money, if I bought a classic car right now, I would not have much time to find storage before the snow flies. I believe there are quite a few people like me. You would most likely do better in the spring if you dont sell it before. Personally I think its a sweet looking car ,and I could live with the rust for the first couple of years before I would want to fix. I would want door panels right away though. Good luck with the sale!

i think the car has a lot of potential.. i have been playing seller and buyer all my life. there is a lid for every pot. etc.. your car is listed nicely. if you get a hit on it, and someone wants to come see it.. then you have a potential buyer, and someone you can negotiate price.etc with. until then, everything else is just fodder,

I myself cannot even think of buying a car until the spring time when I get my income tax return. Besides the money, if I bought a classic car right now, I would not have much time to find storage before the snow flies. I believe there are quite a few people like me. You would most likely do better in the spring if you dont sell it before. Personally I think its a sweet looking car ,and I could live with the rust for the first couple of years before I would want to fix. I would want door panels right away though. Good luck with the sale!

Welcome back Justin, I did not realize you are over here in Laurens now.

How can you list a car on ebay at no reserve, and then not sell the car?

Am I missing something?

I looked at a 74 sunroof, fold down 318 car with new sherman quarters and crappy new silver paint. Asking 4500...I passed, saw it again for 3500, I think it sold, but maybe not for 3500.

Thanks guys for the info. I have never sold a car this old before. Sold plenty of more modern cars and trucks that had no rust issues or any body work damage at all so this is new to me on the rust side of things. I totally agree in the sense of the work with the fiber quarters being on and the interior not done but as you can see in some of my posts im on the look out for some interior parts to finish it up. Also keep in mind i was 12 years old when my brother was fixing this car up so i was around it since day one it was just more of a learning curve then of anything else.

Also for the back ground of it being in my family for years in a heated garage and never in an accident and only having minor rust under the fiber quarters (which i know about) but i understand as a buyer not seeing underneath is worrisome I thought was good things instead of transferrinf ownership many times and not knowing the entire history of it. That is why i offer to any one that is interested to spend some time looking it over i have nothing to hide what is there is what you are going to get plus a stack of other parts sitting around.
This car was more my brothers then ever mine so I’m trying to help him out. I prefer the older darts or the demons if I would get one. He wants me to take it and fix it up but I think it wouldn't be fair to him if I did that being that its his dream to get it road worthy again. Maybe one day ill jump in an old mopar like an older dart if possible.
Adam i appreciate your feedback but that beak comment is your opinion and as I can see in your picture you don’t have one. Also you thinking it’s a 2 thousand dollar car and nothing more then that is once again your opinion and thank you for that but you never came and saw the car. You didn’t put it on the lift, drive it, look it over I just don’t understand how you can state a 2000 dollar car and nothing more then that. Well anyway no biggie I read your comments and will pass them along to my brother and explain to him the items he needs to fix first before doing anything else.

I also feel I must tell you that I’m shocked how you guys offer support and help especially to a new comer. I asked a question and more then half were helpful then the others were more rude and insulting. I guess you learn something new every day and mine is probably that this isn't a site for me. God for bid I say something that might not be correct I wouldn't mind someone correcting me but I feel that instead of that I will get a slap in the face and some name calling.

Thanks again everyone!

....I asked a question and more then half were helpful then the others were more rude and insulting. I guess you learn something new every day and mine is probably that this isn't a site for me. God for bid I say something that might not be correct I wouldn't mind someone correcting me but I feel that instead of that I will get a slap in the face and some name calling.

Thanks again everyone!

You think this is bad, try Moparts.com

Well, there you have it.

If someone is trying to sell a car, and asking $6500,
making the statement that you wouldn't pay more than $2000
(without even looking at the car) is insulting in my opinion.

I know the dude asked for opinions, but again, $2000 without even looking at it? I don't think he's being thin-skinned. Wouldn't it have been better to say something like, "I would pay much less than you are asking"?

Adam i appreciate your feedback but that beak comment is your opinion and as I can see in your picture you don’t have one. Also you thinking it’s a 2 thousand dollar car and nothing more then that is once again your opinion and thank you for that but you never came and saw the car. You didn’t put it on the lift, drive it, look it over I just don’t understand how you can state a 2000 dollar car and nothing more then that. Well anyway no biggie I read your comments and will pass them along to my brother and explain to him the items he needs to fix first before doing anything else.

Heres my reasoning for what I said I feel the car is worth.

We know the car needs 1/4s and rockers. If it needs 1/4s it probably also needs outer wheelhouses. Now you have to cut the entire rear of the car apart. It also needs work in the door jams. Personally if I were to buy the car I would have to strip the entire car down to a bare shell, take it all down to bare metal and redo the entire body right off the bat. If you do that its going to need all the weather stripping replaced.

The engine bay is spray painted black, That means I would have to strip that down to bare metal and paint that. Now the motor is out. May as well freshen it up, find the correct intake, carb, air cleaner etc.

Now the entire exterior of the car is redone, I would have to make the interior just as nice. For me that car would be a snowball effect waiting to happen. Thats not a bad thing because I enjoy restoring cars but I look at it as needing a full restoration because it needs sheet metal work. Your looking to sell it as a driver. To me its not nice enough to be a driver because of the rust. You can buy cars that needs the same amount of work for $2000 all day long. Your car may be nicer then some or most of them but I would still be tearing it apart.

I dont mean any disrespect, Thats just why I priced it the way I did. Its nicer then a full blow resto, not as nice as a good driver.

As for my beek comment doo a search and see how many guys are swapping there 73-76 sheetmetal for 70-72 stuff. I wouldnt do it myself because I like the later cars just as much. As a matter of fact your DartSport is pretty much my favorite A body. All its missing is a sunroof and a 4 speed.

Am I missing something?

I looked at a 74 sunroof, fold down 318 car with new sherman quarters and crappy new silver paint. Asking 4500...I passed, saw it again for 3500, I think it sold, but maybe not for 3500.

Squirrels do this all the time.
They claim the car is for sale locally and when they do not get what they want they cancel the auction right before the end and say the car sold locally.
Just had that happen last week and I was high bidder. I emailed the owner to let him know I was still interested if the deal fell through and he told me he still had it. No local sale, just did not get enough for it.

Mike

probably had friends running up the bids.

i agree with adam's way of thinking. thats exactly how i look at the car.

i also agree that if the $4500 was legit bids you should have considered yourself lucky to get that much.

Well heres what I see looking at this particular car, I wont rehash everything like the body work and paint like underhood, that is well documented already. When it was repainted you either painted over the door sticker or removed it-one indication of the numbers gone. You have the fender tag?-thats good but what about the buildsheet? Those all prove numbers matching as well as the body and drivetrain numbers.As far as the interior I see the package tray deteriorated,the seats dirty,tach mount on console,no radio,wear (maybe excessive for 72000 miles) on the dash cluster, dash frame and steering column as well as the wires and heater tubes hanging underneath the dash as well as the other mentioned interior flaws. Would I pay $6500 for this car? no way. Not because I think its junk but I see a lot of work and money I would need to spend just to get it decent to drive. You asked for opinions and your getting them,some good and some maybe a little to harsh but honest in their world. As far as shipping overseas COD-yea right!! Pay half to drive it home first??-try paying in full then good luck with your new car and the bill of sale indicating "sold as is". I think that $4800 would have been a good call to accept but im guessing your letting your emotions of owning it for so long getting in the way of making a good decision. You also have to remember that the later Darts as cool as they are are not everyones favorite body style and if its not a screaming deal then they pass. The economy has some people realizing they cant afford their dream car right now either, believe it or not its reality, just look at the foreclosed homes in your area. I would say if you dont sell it for your accepting price before winter then address the issues that are presented here and try it again in the spring when the car bug hits potential buyers. Good luck with it!

Agree with abodyjoe and AdamR. They're not being rude, just smart. A car is basically worth whatever it is worth done, minus whatever it would cost to bring it to "done", but then even less, because time costs also.

It's nowhere near a $6500 car. You don't have to go look at it in person to tell that much. There's enough info given to tell that. It's not all that valuable of a car "done", and it needs a lot of expensive work. Hell, that car isn't worth a ton more than the $6500 "done".

But is it a cool car? Hell yeah. I love it. Would love to have something like that. But, I'd have to tear it apart too. The damage/wear/neglect/abuse isn't "cool" like a rat rod cool, and it's not nice enough to enjoy as it is. But, it's also not really worth restoring either, if you look at it from a purely financial perspective. So what you're left with is something that a hobbyist is going to want to restore or restify themselves for fun, and currently, i'ts priced too high for that type of a person to pay any attention to it, or even make a serious inquiry. When you first listed it, I clicked on the ad, thought cool car, read the info, looked at the pics.... then saw the price, and closed the page and moved on.

Also, too many similar cars lately have sold recently in far better condition for similar prices to your asking price.

I won't say the price I think it's worth, as that seems to be a touchy subject even though you asked, but I'll say it's closer to AdamR's price than to the current asking price.

Not to brighten this thread more then what has said but my brother and i thought it would be wise to go through the car and see what we can repair then post up a better AD when time is right. While taking the interior apart we found the broadcast sheet. It was awesome to see one in person. I also have the fender tag as well. Got a complete interior which we are cleaning up and planning to paint and install. Going to paint the interior as well. Have a entire under harness dash that we are going to replace and at the same time clean up and paint the dash. I will post a new thread when that times comes. Thanks
broadcastsheet2.jpg

broadcastsheet1.jpg

As you can see in the first picture there is also a chrome tag behind the seat. Had some numbers but wasnt sure what that is , does someone know?

I think the car is also priced a bit high. 2k? Cmon you can by a terd for that. Problem I see is one the economy. 2. the people who have the money are holding on to it. It is a buyers market. The people who dont have the money want to offer some lowball price like 2k. It is what it is and we are all opinonated. I have tried to sell a beak car and a 70 Duster on ebay and craigslist. Nothing but scammers and people who dont have money to pay for it. Maybe a trade might be an option. I have tried to trade my cars on this site several times. Had many people ask for my email to send a potential trade picture. Only one person did. It wasnt a car for me. As for the others??? So I feel your pain. Being honest and showing the bad of the car as well as the good is my kind of seller. Maybe clean car up a little and lower the price some. I wouldnt do bodywork ect. Why? Might as well keep the car if you are going to do all that work. Here are the picks of what I was selling or trading. Hang in there and good luck.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0135.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 191
I think doing some work and waiting is a good idea if you want better offers. Its just the wrong time to sell a muscle car in NY. Economy, weather, election. February is good for some stuff because of tax returns but a Dart sport may not be overly desired until spring. I think just the yearly ebb and flow could move the price $1000. You actually couldn't pick a worse place or time in the last 5 years to sell that car. Good luck man, I hope you do get what you are asking, it is good news for all of us if you do.

The car, in my opinion (and I have owned several beak cars) is worth $2500-$3000. Numbers matching does not mean anything, or add value unless it is a 72 or prior 340, 6 pack or hemi car, once again in my opinion.

Attachments

• pinks launch_0001.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 141
-
Back