Semi truck strap binder versus human jaw

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This was a call we ran the other day. A strap binder somehow came off of a flatbed trailer on the interstate, a car runs it over and kicks it up into the air. The binder blows through the windshield of the car behind it and it hits the driver in the face. He's knocked unconscious and his quick thinking wife steers the car safely to the shoulder.

She thinks he's dead, so we get dispatched for a cardiac arrest. Luckily, he's still alive when we get on scene. I'm in the back seat stabilizing his head while he apply a collar around his neck. I could feel his shattered jaw creaking and crunching in my hands and I could see the rectangular mark the binder left on his face.

The man is alive for now, but he's facing a long road to recovery. Be careful on the roads and be ALERT!

image000000.jpg

That would have been a motorcycle fatality. There’s no windshield to absorb some of the initial energy.

That binder rachet looks like it was bolted to the side of the trailer, I dont see any broken welds
Ive worked on a lot of heavy trucks and equipment and cant recall any being bolted
Im no engineer but bolted leaves IMO a lot to be desired, the pull is not straight on
If it was welded, who ever welded it shouldn't be welding.....A proper weld would have resulted in the whole piece off the trailer side ripping out
The bottom weld on that bracket would be most of the strength, if that weld failed the top weld would eventually hinge right off....But again I dont really know how that rachet is attached

That binder rachet looks like it was bolted to the side of the trailer, I dont see any broken welds
Ive worked on a lot of heavy trucks and equipment and cant recall any being bolted
Im no engineer but bolted leaves IMO a lot to be desired, the pull is not straight on
If it was welded, who ever welded it shouldn't be welding.....A proper weld would have resulted in the whole piece off the trailer side ripping out
The bottom weld on that bracket would be most of the strength, if that weld failed the top weld would eventually hinge right off....But again I dont really know how that rachet is attached

Binders like that aren't static on a trailer. They're often attached to rails so they can be slid to where they're needed. Any bolts or other securing hardware are to keep them from sliding.
A failed strap, or a loose binder forgotton on the trailer can depart while on the road and become debris. Usually they're stored in such a way that they don't just fall off.

I should specify that the first driver who hit it, said it was part of a much larger piece that was in the road. I always thought they were welded on, but as mentioned above, I learned that sometimes they’re bolted to a rail. Maybe it was the rail that came off? We don’t know, never found the other pieces.

one thing that always, always ALWAYS surprises me, if how close people drive behind me when im hauling a trailer
i know i used good straps, and i know i know how to secure a load, but they dont

The rail is typically integral to the trailer. But the winches can slide off the ends of the trailer to be added/removed/replaced. If they're not properly secured or removed they wind up as litter. Could have been a simple oversight with possibly catastrophic consequences, or sheer negligence - we'll probably never know. Some years back an unsecured driveline on the back of a semi caused a fatality accident and the offending truck/driver was never located.
If there was more to the winch when the first car hit it, it might have been the broken tail of a strap or just additional 'junk' attached to it. Maybe a bungee or something. Or it wasn't even on a 'real' trailer and was some hick-ified mess someone had tried to adapt to their pickup or homemade trailer. Lots of folks buy junk like this and don't know how to operate it or put heavier duty hardware onto a lighter duty truck/trailer without thinking.
Heck, these days plenty of 'truckers' get graduated onto the road with almost no training on their equipment - only on the driving part, and are left to their own devices to figure out how to secure things.
With the driver shortage and demand for trucking, there's lots of sketchy stuff happening out on the open road. Slightly sketchier the closer you get to the southern border in my experience - but those cross-border ops are taking place all over the country these days now too.

winches-hero-3.jpg

one thing that always, always ALWAYS surprises me, if how close people drive behind me when im hauling a trailer
i know i used good straps, and i know i know how to secure a load, but they dont

When I was young, dumb, and broke, I used to draft behind trailers to save gas. Nothing like 75 mpg across I-40!
Then one day I slammed into a separated tread that the truck ahead of me straddled. Only damage was to paint, luckily, but it could have been so much worse.
Suddenly an extra $40 in gas didn't seem so expensive. With the stuff I've seen and experienced since then, I like to have at least a 10 second gap around big vehicles - double that if it's an amateur in a Class A or hauling their 42' trailer with a goddamn compact pickup :realcrazy:.

I hit something on the freeway, very late one night, in my pickup. I never saw it, don't know what it was. It caved in the front bumper, went under the truck was kicked up by the rear tire, tore off the factory fender flair, and wrecked the quarter panel.
You just never know what strange stuff can happen.
Did you see the thread with the car catapulting over the truck tire?

Last edited:
Damn, I was behind a landscaping truck about 10 years ago going north on the 470 loop in CO and in almost slow motion I watched a spade shovel catch the wind, flip up into the air about 20 feet and start coming down right at me. Switching lanes as quick as I could, I watched the thing touch down right where I would have been.

Situational awareness is a big deal.

Binders like that aren't static on a trailer. They're often attached to rails so they can be slid to where they're needed. Any bolts or other securing hardware are to keep them from sliding.
A failed strap, or a loose binder forgotton on the trailer can depart while on the road and become debris. Usually they're stored in such a way that they don't just fall off.
Thats the ratchet for the binder strap I was referring to
Ratchet binders ive seen on flatbed trailers pulled by tractors were all welded on, usually every few feet if memory serves me
When the driver secures a load there is a lot of tension on the strap and binder
Ive replaced damaged ones in the past

Damn, I was behind a landscaping truck about 10 years ago going north on the 470 loop in CO and in almost slow motion I watched a spade shovel catch the wind, flip up into the air about 20 feet and start coming down right at me. Switching lanes as quick as I could, I watched the thing touch down right where I would have been.

Situational awareness is a big deal.

No doubt! I've had several close calls like that. I was behind a landscaper on my motorcycle. Not the tidy, professional, type of landscape truck either. Typically I would have sped past but I hung back because who knows. Another hundred yards down the road, the wind caught an empty trash can - the big 55 gallon type. It started to swirl around in his bed and I thought "****, I should have passed him, if I was at least abreast the guy I would be safe". Instead, the can flipped over the cab, down his passenger side, then tumbled down the road toward me. So much for that thought. I didn't think it was that serious, they're not heavy right? I dodged it anyway, then the little compact car in the lane to my left hit it and high-centered on it! Would have been a bad day to hit it on a bike.
One night on the same bike I was riding through town around 30mph, in the dark, no helmet (not required in AZ), just some safety glasses for the wind. Something hit me square in the face and laid me flat on the seat. I was able to sit up and get to the shoulder without issue. No idea what it was, but the liquid and fur that was on my glasses told me either a bat or a palo verde beetle. I bought a helmet the next week.
Years later in Vegas, I'm on the highway and there's a styrofoam box bouncing along the road in the direction of travel, but between lanes. I literally said to my wife "at least it's styrofoam" as I tried to dodge it while keeping my lane in steady traffic. It hit my right mirror and obliterated it - nothing left at all of the entire housing. Whatever was inside that styrofoam case must've weighed a good bit! I'm just glad it didn't hit the windsheild.
Another few years later, in the same car, we're on I90 in the middle of nowhere. A flock of small birds, those little gray/brown ones that exist everywhere, flew up off of a hay field that was recently cut and crossed the highway. One swooped down over the lane and slammed into the front of my driver's side mirror. Hit hard enough it folded and blew the glass out of it. I swear the mirrors on that car are cursed.
In highschool, a friend and I were on one our first road trips out of town. The freeway is steep, downhill, and windy. The overhead sun lit up some dust up ahead of us, but no telling how far away or if it was dirt bikes up on the mountain. My buddy was driving and I told him to slow down, which he didn't like. Several more times I told him to slow, there's something going on up there. It wasn't heavy traffic, but enough to limit your escape routes. He finally started to slow, and as we get to just under about 50mph we come around the corner and see a hay truck had tipped. What road wasn't blocked by the trailer was blocked by bales. It became a 35mph slalom and we barely made it through. Not all the cars behind us did though. First time using a call box to get CHP out there, no cell phones yet.

I still vividly remember as a kid when I was being taught to drive, there was a cardboard box out in the road one time. Being a kid, I wanted to hit it, because why not? My uncle was the one in the passenger seat and must've read my mind. He tells me: "go wide around that damn box and don't you dare hit it, or I'll hit you harder". I obliged before asking why, but the car behind us decided to flatten it and found out the hard way there were two cinder blocks in it. Apparenly it was a yard-sale sign, and the winds our town was notorious for had blown the box over into the roadway despite the ballast inside. That was probably the best driving lesson ever - I've always avoided debris on the highways whenever possible since then.
Which reminds me of when we'd see the news report the freeway closed due to tumble weeds. Which I thought was dumb - they're so fragile you could drive right through them, right? So one day I'm headed out of Bakersfield and the wind is picking up. A mass of tumbleweeds is coming across the highway, building up on the center divider. Like some sort of desert version of a snow drift. I head past the several rigs stopped on the shoulder thinking I'm brilliant and head right into the sea of brown. Almost immediately those things pile up under the front of the car until the front wheels can no longer steer and suddenly I'm on the shoulder too, dead stopped. Not even realizing that I had done the dumbest thing imaginable because exhaust could have lit those suckers on fire and it would have become a whole different kind of mess...

That's not even getting into all the car vs wildlife near misses either... LOL. Head on a swivel, and be cognizant of the other risks present.

Ratchet binders ive seen on flatbed trailers pulled by tractors were all welded on, usually every few feet if memory serves me
When the driver secures a load there is a lot of tension on the strap and binder

Some trailers have them welded on. Many do not. The one in the photo looks like the slide-rail type which wouldn't usually be welded.

Wow! I know a guy that took the handle of a chain binder to the chin when his buddy let go because he couldn’t get it over center. What few real teeth he has left were broken, along with his lower jaw.

Some trailers have them welded on. Many do not. The one in the photo looks like the slide-rail type which wouldn't usually be welded.
The picture you posted was of a aluminium trailer. The trailers ive replaced ratchet's on were all heavier duty, the ratchets were thicker steel
In fact not long ago I cut one off that was bent up and the owner was not using it and wanted it off. It was made out of 3/8 steel
Many dont even use straps or ratchets, they use chain and binders that catch a flat bar on the trailer sides

The picture you posted was of a aluminium trailer. The trailers ive replaced ratchet's on were all heavier duty, the ratchets were thicker steel
In fact not long ago I cut one off that was bent up and the owner was not using it and wanted it off. It was made out of 3/8 steel
Many dont even use straps or ratchets, they use chain and binders that catch a flat bar on the trailer sides

That photo was just the best angle. There's similar steel trailers out there too.

Travel on I15 from Sand Diego north. It's like a scrap metal yard with the **** that's fallen off ill maintained trucks and trailers.

Good the guy is alive, but, man what a way to get hurt.

That photo was just the best angle. There's similar steel trailers out there too.
You got me looking at trailers on I95 now ,LOL
I did see some with the adjustable binder , one was in particular was a aluminium trailer carrying pallets of bricks
Seems to be a better setup for carrying cargo

ANYTHING with a load, I'm passing ya, Safely, asap. Just how I am. I've seen quite a few things happen here and there over the years, that's pretty horrible that guys Blessed be alive, man!

You got me looking at trailers on I95 now ,LOL
I did see some with the adjustable binder , one was in particular was a aluminium trailer carrying pallets of bricks
Seems to be a better setup for carrying cargo
The alum flatbeds I see here, are arched up, so they actually flatten once they're loaded. And yep they have rails

Hooks here, even for heavy equipment they've got a hook on either end it's a chain ratchet binder with a lever to tighten it, the heavy equipment carried that way all the time the art is in how you cross the change and how you set them up I used to run heavy equipment with a friend of mine we were anal about that we didn't want to lose his machine nor did we want to kill anybody

What I'm seeing here is a lot of people that are not from here they're from across the border they're driving big rigs for 12 bucks an hour, cut you off, go out in front of you jump two or three lanes at a time and even had a full size dump truck running freaking stop sign and almost hit the Dakota with me in the old lady, just last year. His lug nuts were taller than my hood it probably would have hurt even if barely touched us, it's quite possible we could have got sucked up or kicked sideways under the back tires or something by the way those air brakes ain't all that,cuz after he ran the stop sign, he locked em up took him another 200 ft to fully stop...

-
Back