Sending Unit in a 1971 dart swinger

-

71318Swinger

Reaction score
Hey all im new here but i have a question, I am trying to test the sending unit in my 71 dodge dart and in my manual for it it says i can test it with an ohm meter but i cant locate the terminals that i should test it on, I'm hoping to avoid dropping the tank till i know that is what it is and ideas

im thinking ya wont have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit its justin front of and to the passengerside side of the rear axle housing on the gas tank and can be accessed without dropping the tank atleast it was on a 73 dart swinger i had

The sending unit at the tank will have one terminal with usually a plug that just pulls off. First drain your fuel tank as much as possible by syphoning out the gas, carefully. Connect one wire from your ohm meter to the terminal on the sender and the other to the metal fuel line as it comes out of the sender just before the hose connection to the fuel line. With the tank essentially empty you should read around 50-54 ohms. With the tank 1/2 full you should read around 22 and tank full 8-5 ohms.

Terry

The sending unit at the tank will have one terminal with usually a plug that just pulls off. First drain your fuel tank as much as possible by syphoning out the gas, carefully. Connect one wire from your ohm meter to the terminal on the sender and the other to the metal fuel line as it comes out of the sender just before the hose connection to the fuel line. With the tank essentially empty you should read around 50-54 ohms. With the tank 1/2 full you should read around 22 and tank full 8-5 ohms.

Terry

thanks man, my book told me they were the same one thanks ill let you know how it goes

Ok... Well I got the meter to work and tested it my sending unit tested okay, so now what I'm trying to figure out is my Fuel gauge. Last year it worked on some days and then on other days it would not, now when i fired it up this year nothing and i have yet to get anything. any ideas, my next step is that im going to pull the dash and test the leads and if my thought process is correct that should test the same as if i was right at the gas tank with an ohm meter, if there are any other ideas could you please let me know Thanks
Mike

If the other gauges work at all times, the fuel gauge is probably just loose, ( mounting/ contact studs and nuts )

So i'm guessing that i have to pull the dash to get that one, or is there a way to get it without having to, then again i have been looking for a relativly easay yet time consuming project :)

Before calling the guage bad, check this. On the fuel line of the sending unit there is a 3" length of rubber hose that connects it to the fuel line that goes to the front of the car. There should be a metal band that has one end clamped to the fuel sender fuel line and the other end goes to the main fuel line. This is for grounding purposes since the fuel sensor is insulating from the fuel tank with a rubber gasket and lock ring. Remove the band and sand both ends and the contact area of both fuel lines so that the sender is getting a good ground.

Terry

If you do try to tighten the nuts on the back of the fuel gauge you will not have to pull the dash. A small socket wrench with an extention and a 3/8 socket will fit up on the left side of the streering column very easily.
AL

-
Back