Sending unit

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have luck with this sending unit? Need one for my 68 barracuda.
Thanks for any advice

Screenshot_20230806_213504_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's usually the case, but I had just recently read a comment by @RustyRatRod that he had very good luck with the Spectra Premium unit, and the readout was fairly accurate... maybe he'll chime in.
Plus, they're made in Canada and not in China, so there may be hope...

If you have your original, find someone to rebuild it. If not put up a Wanted Ad here to find one that can be refurbed. The Chineseum units suck and whatever you do, use a Mopar lock ring. The aftermarket rings DO NOT seal well because they are too thin.

That's usually the case, but I had just recently read a comment by @RustyRatRod that he had very good luck with the Spectra Premium unit, and the readout was fairly accurate... maybe he'll chime in.
I've used a lot of them. I've not seen what the complaints are about. They all worked well for me. But then I understand that these type gauges are only an approximation. They are there to only give an idea of something. The most important thing is that they are accurate when reading empty. I think most guys that complain about sending units are sometimes being picky. They were never made to be dead accurate. It's not like they can be compared to modern gauges. But all the Spectra units I've used have been pretty spot on.

What you will find with all aftermarket senders is.

For the first 1/3 of a tank it will read full.

For the next 1/3 it will read half.

For the final 1/3 it will read empty

There are meter match devices that help

See post 4.

Product Review: A100 Fuel Sender For 67 Dart

You may want to pull the sender and test it if the float is bad, you can still buy them, they are the same as Fords. I would personally try to stay with a OEM Mopar one. I believe the sock filter is also still available.

I put a Spectra tank and sender in my 66. It is fairly accurate although I don't run it much below 1/4 tank to find out. Your results may vary.

Just bench test it before installing. Read ohms empty and full moving the float arm up and down.

If you have your original, find someone to rebuild it. If not put up a Wanted Ad here to find one that can be refurbed. The Chineseum units suck and whatever you do, use a Mopar lock ring. The aftermarket rings DO NOT seal well because they are too thin.
The lock rings that Detroit Muscle Technologies sell are thicker than other aftermarket ones and work really well.

Just bench test it before installing. Read ohms empty and full moving the float arm up and down
The ohms will be 10 to 70 but the sweep needs to follow a curve not be linear.

Case in point, if at 1/2 tank, (not the sweep arm being 1/2 way in its travel) the sender reads about 23 ohms your better off, but it will read around 40 so it will look like 3/4.

It all in the graphs

That's just not been my experience. At all. Not with the senders I've used
My testing was real world, in a car, adding or removing 1 gallon of gas at a time, with a bounce between measurements.

Hey guys.
I pulled the sending unit lastnight and the float was trash, so I ordered a new float, and hope to reuse my old original sending unit..
Thanks

Hey guys.
I pulled the sending unit lastnight and the float was trash, so I ordered a new float, and hope to reuse my old original sending unit..
Thanks
Late to the party here but I have to say, by the time you buy a brass float alone and a seal alone you will have spent about the same as an entire sender. I chose to buy the cheapest sender out there and rob the float and seal from it.

Be carefully putting the float in.

The copper brass mustang floats are kind of thin. I used to roll them into the Shepard's hook but now I spread the hook open with a tool.

Late to the party here but I have to say, by the time you buy a brass float alone and a seal alone you will have spent about the same as an entire sender. I chose to buy the cheapest sender out there and rob the float and seal from it.
Yeah, that's sounds like a better plan. I should be receiving my new float tomorrow..
Seeing I don't have a new seal
I was thinking of making a seal out of cork material..
Not sure if you could order the seal by itself ..
Thanks

Yeah, that's sounds like a better plan. I should be receiving my new float tomorrow..
Seeing I don't have a new seal
I was thinking of making a seal out of cork material..
Not sure if you could order the seal by itself ..
Thanks

I've used these folks many times and have been completely satisfied every time. You should take a few minutes and look through what they offer for your car so you'll have a place to go to should you need to in the future.

Mopar All Models 57-78 Sending Unit to Gas Tank Seal

Not sure cork is a good idea for a fuel sender gasket. At times it is fully under the level of the fuel in the tank

-
Back