Sending unit

-
So im going to pop by a local gasket / seal business to see what they suggest and see if they can make me one.. thanks guys I'll keep in touch

Be carefully putting the float in.

The copper brass mustang floats are kind of thin. I used to roll them into the Shepard's hook but now I spread the hook open with a tool.
Yep, all the brass floats are thin where that groove for the hook is formed. They tend to crack right where the end of the hook lands.
The seal can be ordered through your local NAPA store if they don't already have it on the shelf. I think it was between 7 and 9 USD but that was several years ago.

Yep, all the brass floats are thin where that groove for the hook is formed. They tend to crack right where the end of the hook lands.
The seal can be ordered through your local NAPA store if they don't already have it on the shelf. I think it was between 7 and 9 USD but that was several years ago.
Thanks I'll check out my local store. Also the float I ordered is plastic..
Thanks

Thanks I'll check out my local store. Also the float I ordered is plastic..
Thanks

Plastic is actually plastics. Correct blend of plastics has an OK reputation with todays fuels. Slightly wrong blend of plastic will call for revisit. Brass will stand the test of time and fuel additives, whether its common pump gas or ethanol free. Ever heard "We get what we pay for"? In most cases its true. A quality brass float would cost you more coin but would cause you less grief. Nobody will have anything bad to say about a brass float other than the thickness of the brass used today and eventual cracking. Neither is going to last forever. Nothing does.
I replaced a brass float that had cracked right where the steel wire ring retainer ended. I didn't dare to replace it with a "who know what" recycled plastics coming out of China today. Good luck is all have left

Plastic is actually plastics. Correct blend of plastics has an OK reputation with todays fuels. Slightly wrong blend of plastic will call for revisit. Brass will stand the test of time and fuel additives, whether its common pump gas or ethanol free. Ever heard "We get what we pay for"? In most cases its true. A quality brass float would cost you more coin but would cause you less grief. Nobody will have anything bad to say about a brass float other than the thickness of the brass used today and eventual cracking. Neither is going to last forever. Nothing does.
I replaced a brass float that had cracked right where the steel wire ring retainer ended. I didn't dare to replace it with a "who know what" recycled plastics coming out of China today. Good luck is all have left
Well we'll see how long it lasts, I'll be happy if it lasts the rest of this season lol..
Apparently people have had luck with the part # I ordered..
Thanks for the information..

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I would repair a good use float with a little JB weld before buying a $10.00 piece of crap. Would also like to add, every time I'm in a tank I always check the primary filter for particles. If I see any I install a sock with a tie strap over the stock filter after cleaning it the best that I can. When a car sits for a while, this will be a problem with slack, that I call it. I have tried cleaning the tanks but could never get them fully clean. I stopped wasting time and energy and just add the sock.

-
Back