Setting pinion angle...

-

Judge Mills

1971 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
From what I understand, I need to point the "nose" of the axle down 5-7 degrees, right? and I should tighten everything up once there is a load on the axle, then check again to make sure it is within the parameters?

I am putting in a Ford 8.8..... so the leaf spring perches aren't welded yet....

Judge, that is my understanding. I did check my parts car before I pulled the engine and the rear diff was pointed down 5*.
C

Thanks! I know there are a lot of threads concerning this, but I figured I'd ask one last time before I bolt it all up and weld :D I guess I can always go back and add shims if needed...

This car is being set up to turn corners.... a mild "pro touring" I suppose... Not drag racing...

Right now, I'm checking the angle UNLOADED... I know I need to be in those parameters when LOADED...

Where you point the yoke in degrees depends on what reading you get off the trans tailshaft.

Just pointing the yoke down 5-7 may get you into a very steep angle and bind the u-joints.

Here's a good baseline to start with. Study the pics, it should make sense.
http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion Angle.htm

Why would you take any measurements without load.? ? ? ? ? ? why??

1. Put the car on a drive on lift or 4 jack stands at the same height...

2. take the angle of the driveshaft

3. take the angle of the pinion

4. see what they are...

5. depending what suspension you are using will dictate whether you set the pinion -5 or -4 or -2 or -1.5 below that of the shafts angle....

What you want is the pinion to be at 0.0 under load.

Why would you take any measurements without load.? ? ? ? ? ? why??

1. Put the car on a drive on lift or 4 jack stands at the same height...

2. take the angle of the driveshaft

3. take the angle of the pinion

4. see what they are...

5. depending what suspension you are using will dictate whether you set the pinion -5 or -4 or -2 or -1.5 below that of the shafts angle....

What you want is the pinion to be at 0.0 under load.

Because I don't know what I'm doing and I came here for help :read2::-D

Thanks for the info! Makes sense now.. :wave:

My suspension is the Mopar XHD leaf springs with the 1 inch drop front hangers....

-
Back