Setting pinion angle

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
How do I properly set my pinion angle? i am doing a axle over swap on my truck and want to make sure I get the spring perches welded on correctly so I dont have any issues.

How do I properly set my pinion angle? i am doing a axle over swap on my truck and want to make sure I get the spring perches welded on correctly so I dont have any issues.

Exactly what are you doing? Does the rear you're putting in have perches on it now??

Exactly what are you doing? Does the rear you're putting in have perches on it now??

I am using the same rearend that is under the truck right now. Just moving it from under the springs to above the springs to drop the rear of my truck and allow me to use the traction bars I have.

I think I would get an angle finder, pretty inexpensive at Lowe's, Home Depot etc, and see where it's at now with the rear in the truck.

Then you would need to remove the perches and get 2 new ones, set the rear in the perches on top of the springs and find the same angle and mark it.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether the move to the top of the springs would require a bit of a different angle. Hopefully someone can chime in with their 2 cents.

I have typically set mine ay -2 so pinion pointing down, then under acceleration it sould be straight or 0

I agree with RustyRatRod. I know he has laryngitis right now but I hope he'll be better tomorrow. We need his knowledge. One of the things I use to determine someone's knowledge and worth is to see how many "thanks" they have under there name. If you check RRR's record he has 81 "thanks", compare that to many others and you make your choice on who is helping!! As for the pinion angle, I always thought it had to be 2-3 degrees below the driveshaft or engine/trans centerline. But according to this web site I guess I was wrong. Check it out:

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/drive_shaft_harmonics.php

It opened my eyes. Opinions would be greatly appreciated HINT:RRR.

I'll be putting that 2004R into my Cuda soon and everything's gotta be correct!!

Treblig

This... the rossler trans one in the middle.

workingangleslb6.jpg

I found a way for RRR to keep his word and still contribute!!!:blob:. In his last post he wrote the "reason" that he didn't write anything. His reason was that "Last edited by RustyRatRod; 12-25-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Cause I ain't contributing anymore." RRR is a man of his word and we would never want him to contribute "ANYMORE" just like I don't drink alcohol "ANYMORE"...I still drink the same amount I always have. We don't want RRR to contribute "ANYMORE" or "ANYLESS" than what he normally contributes. The amount of contributions from RRR was "JUST RIGHT"!! So I agree with RRR, he should not contribute ANYMORE than he usually contributes!! And he shouldn't contribute "ANYLESS" either.
From the distinguished law firm of "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe"!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• th0BAT53QO.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 218
-
Back