several 426 Hemi's burried

-

wedgehead

Reaction score
Guy told me this morning his dad owned a junk yard several years ago and used to part out numerious old muscle cars, Hemi's ,Big Ford's ,etc. He said his dad went out of bussiness and they dug a hole and burried all those complete engines. They have been in the ground for about 40 years he thinks. What you guys think. Any chance of digging them up and maybe one are some of them be salvagable ?? I know its a long shot ,but ya never know.

Nope , this guy's legit. Would'nt tell me a lie.

Never know maybe the ground was oil saturated? I would take a chance does not cost anything but time.

Take pics! Wish I was there totally int it. Like to metal detect also!

Even if they were no good it would be cool to unearth them. Would make a good story later.

It wouldnt be unheard of.

Petty Racing was notoruous for burying their race cars when they were done with them to prevent the competition from finding them. They even paved over the burial grounds or built buildings on top of them. They did pull richard's wreck 64 cuda drag car out of the ground a few years back from behind their shop.

As for the engines being saveable and useable, highly unlikely. but ive seen some really bad engines come back to life. It'd take sleeving, new internals(obviously) probable new heads and that's if the blocks themselves aren't pitted. Now, if they were buried in the desert, then the chances of success greatly increase

Hey you can say you have a Hemi at least! Bring a cooler of beer it will be fun.

tell ya what, i'll even help you dig if you let me keep one, useable or not,

I CAN SEE THE CRAIGSLIST ADD ALREADY, UNTOUCHED HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTORS........

Reminds me of a conversation with a guy quite a few years ago. He had a 71 Cuda. I didn't really know him but was at his house chasing some parts. the Cuda was sitting there with no motor and he told me "That 340 pissed me off, so I pulled it and buried it in the yard" To this day whenever I drive by I wonder about that.

I've had this conversation many times with my 6year old
His mom for instance will tell him were going to the store after school, but she doesnt know I allready made other plans so we can't go to the store
Did she lie?
Well, yes in the sense she told something that was no true
No, in the sense she relayed information she believed to be true

So, at our house, in order to get spanked for telling a lie, there needs to be a element of deception there (his mom did not mean to tell him something untrue)

Now, could it be your buddies dad pulled a prank on his son, and your buddy is telling you something untrue, fully believing it to be true?

If so, he wouldn't be lying according to my standards

tell ya what, i'll even help you dig if you let me keep one, useable or not,

As would I. If it's toast, then I could finally make that coffee table I always wanted!

So you're in SC? I don't think they do much of anything below ground down there due to the water table. I feel like those engines may be full of sand and rust.

Well I can tell you where there is a 383 HP from a 70 Cuda buried....there is also a complete Ford Pinto...Don't ask how I know. Back then they were not that valuable.

I'd be down to go digging. Never know what u may find. It would be fun to sy the least. Id get a backhoe or a mini excavator and dig up 1or 2 dozen just to be sure. Take pics check number ebay the good ****. And have fun at the end if the day scrapping works. Just make sure all the aluminum is separated and same with the iron and steal. Make decent money at the scrap yard

There use to be a wives tale that burying a block was a good way to 'season' it. Quite a few racers did it back in the day apparently. Not sure how much truth there was to it. I'll let the old guys chime in on that one.

dig them up man..
Go digging, especially if you have access to a backhoe. Worst case scenario is you dig up a bunch of cast iron thats worth over $100 a ton at the scrap yard, best case is you dig up something really cool even if its not usable it would be a neat yard ornament. In this day and age when certain brackets and pullies cost over $100 you could probably net enough off of e bay to make it worthwhile. I was grading my parents yard once and went into this overgrown patch to smooth it out and caught the corner of something. Before my curiosity ran out I had dug up an entire Corvair and a 56 Ford.

I bet it's a bullshit story, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong! Even in the early 70s, a 426 hemi would bring strong money in a salvage yard, and not many ended up their anyway, sometimes a wrecked body might, with the motor long gone. Keep us posted

Unless they were buried in a swamp, i bet a lot of them would be salvageable.
Actually, with all the oil on them and in them, i bet they would have survived better than in the open elements.
I would be over there in a heartbeat...........

-
Back