several questions

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1. What year/or month did electronic ign. begin on the Duster SLANT cars?

2. Duster in question is 71 slant car. It has a 2 field alternator and points dist. and newer style VR. I know I can ground one of the field wires. Which one?? BUT must I then go to old style VR or can I use the newer style ( triangle place to plug n wires)...??

3. AND, can I run the 2 wire alternator with the newer VR and the POINTS dist.!??????

I bought this cobbled together wonder like this. thanks...

4. I got it home changed points/condenser, ballast,new plugs... It had not been on the roads in what I am told by PO who got it from another PO,,,,for 10-15 years but someone had no doubt freshened the carb as it fired and ran great around the yard as I worked on brakes. then it dies. starts back up but runs like it is either flooding out or not getting right current. then won't start. I find coil is out putting out good current with the old coil wire to valve cover test. the big coil wire is good.
SO I jump the batt. to coil + , it then fires up and runs great. I take OFF the jumper . And starts and runs great after. ballast tests .7 ohms. new OEM coil, points, condenser.
I did the MADD deal running new big wires thru the firewall but kept the amp gauge after cleaning it.

I know ...install electronic system, but I really want to just keep the points system right now.
5. One question is why did it not start till I jumped the battery to coil +, I take off jumper, and it starts fine now and runs fine now???????

thanks

I found some answers to my qestions:

1. 72 or 3, my 71 came with 2 field alt. but Electrinic ignition it was not offerrd in 71 for what I came find.

2. It came with 2 field alt. and the newer style VR.

3. Yes. mine came that way factory.

4. Seems that jumping from batt. to coil + put a large voltage into system, and appearantly made a bad wiring contact good.

Since it died while running, and then had intermittent trouble starting at the ignition switch,... I checked as mentioned by ??, the voltage at the VR blue wire and batt. + with key on run, I get .9 V which is high and indicates a bad connection at ign switch, firewall connection?? this might cause an overcharge situation. I have checked this before while running well and was not overcharging. when it was running poorly I did not try to check such.

not sure if any of this is clear, if anyone but myself has any need of such info, never the less I followed up best could.

The alternator / VR has nothing to do with the ignition system. You CAN run the newer isolatet field alternator with the 69/ earlier regulator but I don't know why you would want to. You can ground EITHER of the alternator field terminals it does not matter, and run the other to the old style VR

Why it did not start with coil jumper? Don't know look carefully and make sure the coil + is not hooked to the distributor. However, bypassing the coil resistor is an EXCELLENT way to burn up a set of points especially if you are "screwing around" trying to get it to fire with the coil jumpered.

-
Back