SF Bay Area help! defroster

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
so i know my defroster on my 70 dart doesnt work. dnt have a rear, just the front. i have my ac ripped out of the car since it didnt work and i didnt want it but i figuyre the defroster has nothing to do with the AC unit anyhow (i hope)

anyway, does anyone in the SF bay area know a good shop where i can take my dart to get the defroster working? sux having to have my wing windows open drivin in the rain to defog the windshield!

Since you mentioned that you ripped out the A/C...does that mean that you replaced the unit with a non A/C heater?
If the answer is no, you will need to do that because all those vacumn controls also controlled the heater defroster. If you need that let me know, I got one from James awhile back that needs a minor repair.

Is it that the dash doesnt switch to defrost or does the blower motor not blow at all?

Define "AC unit".

If you just removed the condenser,pump, drier and refrigerant lines, then the defroster should be ok. But the heater and the A/C uses the same box and ducting, so if you removed any of that you'll have to reinstall it. Also, you may need to take a look at the doors in the heater box and make sure they're working properly to get the heat to the windshield.

Define "AC unit".

If you just removed the condenser,pump, drier and refrigerant lines, then the defroster should be ok. But the heater and the A/C uses the same box and ducting, so if you removed any of that you'll have to reinstall it. Also, you may need to take a look at the doors in the heater box and make sure they're working properly to get the heat to the windshield.

I also just pulled the ac pump. the heater core was duct taped over when i got the car & assume it needs replacing. Do I need to replace with an A/C heater core or go sans A/C? I didnt touch anything on the firewall or under the dash. thx

~Sae

Cars with just a heater can defrost the windshield just fine. Just get the heater going again and all will be ok.

I replaced the climate control panel unit in my Duster a while back. I can't remember where I got the donor unit from (pick'n pull I think). Anyway, when it was hooked up, every time I pressed the defroster button, the a/c compressor would kick on. I guess this panel was designed to run the a/c compressor with the defroster in order to dry the air.

-
Back