SF/West Coast Storm

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
Well, we are getting hit with one of the worst storms in recent years. Granted, nothing horrendous but still a PITA. We just got our power restored and the emergency vehicle sirens have been constantly blaring since about 5am. It's the wind that's doing all the damage (up to 60 mph) - the rain is just thrown in to make things miserable. I can't believe with the reports of this storm coming, my neighbors still put their garbage cans out for pickup. Now, they are a block away with garbage all over the streets. We only lost one window (from a flying branch) but were most concerned with the number of roof shingles all over the ground. It's rare that we get almost horizontal rain hitting us because of the winds. I have the roofers on call just in case we get any leaks although they said that they doubt that they could get on the roof and tarp because of the winds right now. I think this is he first wave of several to come in. Hopefully, everyone else in the SF Bay Area & Northern West Coast are doing ok.

BTW: My lights are flickering again so we may lose power again.

GTX,

Glad to hear that you are weathering it out fairly well. Good luck and keep yourself and your family safe.

Joe

Well, we are getting hit with one of the worst storms in recent years. Granted, noting horrendous but still a PITA. We just got our power restored and the emergency vehicle sirens have been constantly blaring since about 5am. It's the wind that's doing all the damage (up to 60 mph) - the rain is just thrown in to make things miserable. I can't believe with the reports of this storm coming, my neighbors still put their garbage cans out for pickup. Now, they are a block away with garbage all over the streets. We only lost one window (from a flying branch) but were most concerned with the number of roof shingles all over the ground. It's rare that we get almost horizontal rain hitting us because of the winds. I have the roofers on call just in case we get any leaks although they said that they doubt that they could get on the roof and tarp because of the winds right now. I think this is he first wave of several to come in. Hopefully, everyone else in the SF Bay Area & Northern West Coast are doing ok.

BTW: My lights are flickering again so we may lose power again.

Yep. it is just starting to rain here in Ventura County (300 miles south). The wind is light, but will pick up a few hours into the rain. We are going to have all kinds of mud and **** flowing through the streets down here. Ironically, the dry Santa Anas just stopped blowing yesterday morning, so I am fed up with wind.

The wind blew off my fiberglass hood, Ok I didn't have the hood pins in and the rain shorted my headlight relay so my lights were on.

It's been windy and rainy on the East Bay but I haven't had a power outage...yet. I wonder how the storm is going to affect the turnout at the rod and customer show this weekend?

My power is going on & off here. PG&E just reported that there is 20,000 houses in the East Bay wo/power, the North Bay has 29,000 without and here on the Peninsula, we have 80,000 without. The South Bay only has 4,000 without power. They just closed sections of 101 in the North Bay and a couple of the bridges in the East Bay. They are probably going to close the Great Highway shortly until tomorrow morning. The flood levels are at almost at 80% for a majority of the rivers up in the North Bay and hopefully, the rain will slow down before it gets to the flood level because it just causes so much trouble for the towns up there. Now ... where the hell is my poncho that I just stored away two weeks ago!

It is noon right now and I just heard that the first system will subside in about 4 hours (which is good news until the next one moves in). I can't believe that the winds got up to 94 mph in Los Gatos and the Golden Gate Bridge got up to 70 mph. They said that luckily, the winds are running parallel with the bridge so it is not as unstable as some of the others. The sirens of the emergency vehicles continue to blare (seems that it has been almost continuous since 5am this morning).

Good luck guys! I was there for the storms of 81-82...pretty scary!
Joel

Crazy windy and sideways rain along the Central Coast this morning. We had power out for about an hour around 8am. Haven't seen gusty winds like this in this along the coast before. Kinda WILD.

Hell of a day to fly out of San Jose to go to Las Vegas for the weekend! My wife and I are going to catch Cirque du Soleil's Beatles Love show at the Mirage Saturday night. Wish us luck for the trip...

One of our carriers, AIT Logistics, just announced that they are not picking up our shipments today due to the weather.

im up in meno park redwood city at work an are parking lot is flooded over car tires the drains are being over powered with the rain an they cant keep up im glad i drove my new 08 ram dually today!be safe everyone it sucks out here in the bay area!

MIKEY

Crazy windy and sideways rain along the Central Coast this morning. We had power out for about an hour around 8am. Haven't seen gusty winds like this in this along the coast before. Kinda WILD.

Hell of a day to fly out of San Jose to go to Las Vegas for the weekend! My wife and I are going to catch Cirque du Soleil's Beatles Love show at the Mirage Saturday night. Wish us luck for the trip...

We were supposed to go there to see that show weeks ago but decided to stay local and got tix for the Cirque du Soleil Kooza show in SF instead. Let me know how the show was. You may want to check with the airlines before heading down to the airport.

im up in meno park redwood city at work an are parking lot is flooded over car tires the drains are being over powered with the rain an they cant keep up im glad i drove my new 08 ram dually today!be safe everyone it sucks out here in the bay area!

MIKEY

Tell me about it. My Ram is lowered and this is one of the only times I have regretted doing that. :x

fun day to have off drove around to check out storm all the avocados blew off tree secured outside of houyse last night ment to neihgbor about coming storm ok well his stuff all over the place where on top of hill so we get slamed by wind must admit i think its fun drove around to bay saw work buddy from county he one of 7 guys that do all county traffic lights sigs ectc.only 2 not on vacation right now jumped in his truck he looked well done ot for next week boyyee looked down town trees down all over wish i was nearer to oaklad berkerly hills would drive all over there for tree flood dmg.lots of fun stay dry yeah rt. any buddy in oakland hills fun stuff to report btu outahere:p

Tell me about it. My Ram is lowered and this is one of the only times I have regretted doing that. :x
No im going to put a 6" lift on it this summer with 37's shes gonna be big an its a Dually thats gonna be be BAD,the water is a 1/4 of my tires now as she site im going to move it again after lunch!its crazy out here man:toothy3:

Flash flood warnings are in affect. They are predicting the thunderstorms to kick in the next couple of hours. For all the snow sports lovers in the area, it looks like Tahoe is getting about 6-12 ft of new snow (Lake level up to 7,000 ft) in the last 16 hours or so.

Flash flood warnings are in affect. They are predicting the thunderstorms to kick in the next couple of hours. For all the snow sports lovers in the area, it looks like Tahoe is getting about 6-12 ft of new snow (Lake level up to 7,000 ft) in the last 16 hours or so.

I was going to drive up to Mammoth this morning but decided it would have been a bad idea getting snowed in and the roads closing. Not to mention the avalanche potential and the amount of time it would be before the ski patrol would have the mountain opened for the public. The first good day after the snow is going to be epic.

In Socal it has just started to rain some. Nothing severe yet. Downtown Ventura and the coast already has crews putting up sand bags.

Just got a call that a tree went down at my folks so I am off with tools in tow to do a little sawing. I'll be checking in later. If only I had none this was going to be a three day holiday. ;-)

Luckily I have yet to have my power go out - and had not problems getting to work.

The biggest issues has been the 2hours it is taking the pizza guy to come to my work. =)

The fence on one side of our propery blew part way over. My neighbor came over at 8 this morning and told me about it. I've got some boards nailed up to the fence at a 45 degree angle to hold it up until the fence guy can get here on Monday. The rain has been coming in sideways off and on all day. It's pretty wild out there today!

I was completely bored out of my mind for 3 1/2 hours stuck on the South bound I-5 Woodland causeway. Two big rigs jack-knifed at the last exit before the bridge. And guess who showed up 3 minutes after CHP shut it down while I was still on the elevated section. I read every snippet of paper in my work truck. And according to one of the CHP there were wind gusts on the elevated part upwards of 80mph. Along with a hard rain.

I can't figure out why anyone lives in Ca. to begin with. All the rest of the US hears about is one disaster after another.
You know life is normal elsewhere...........catch a clue.
Not to be insenitive, but why don't you guys move? One day the whole state is going to drop into the ocean.

I can't figure out why anyone lives in Ca. to begin with. All the rest of the US hears about is one disaster after another.
You know life is normal elsewhere...........catch a clue.
Not to be insenitive, but why don't you guys move? One day the whole state is going to drop into the ocean.

Because 95% of the year the weather is great.

-
Back