SFI bellhousings

-

gremlin

268Darts
Reaction score
Are they a bolt in, or do I need to trim the trans tunnel lip? What about z bar alignment? Anybody have pics? This is for a smallblock Dart.

Just put a lakewood bell. in my 73 DartSport 340,had to customize bracket on bell. for z-bar.I drilled a new hole in it to line up z-bar.it was easy.Don,t know about lip for a dart,mine fit no problem.

if you have an early A and use a lake wood you will have to hammer over the floor/tunnel lip

i recently bought a QUICK TIME SFI scatter shield they are made by being spun,instead of extruded like a lake wood,, the lake wood is the worst fiting scatter shield ive ever seen in an early A,,, i have an old school ansen scatter shield in my 66 currently,, they were made in the era,, and almost ift perfect,,

the QUICK TIME is very small and compact,all tho i have not installed it yet,,im pretty sure there wil be a ton of clearance with this bell,,,and you shoul dhave no flor /tunnel clearance issues,,,

here is a pic of the quick time, you can see how compact it is

rm6072top.jpg

Gentlemen, I can tell you from vast experience that the QuickTime bell housings absolutely shame the Lakewoods. They are a lot more accurate to center than the Lakewoods, which I run into a lot with 5-speed conversions. They also withstand 80,000psi SFI testing. The other guys test out at about 35K psi, less than half the protection. Most guys like the compact nature and the fact that they look a lot more like a traditional bell housing shape than the soup cans they have been putting up with for forty years. Lakewoods are legendary, and they have been around since dirt. You have to give them props for longevity.

They also do lots of stuff for Mopar, not something you can say for a lot of other companies that pracitally ignore us.

Half the weight, twice the strength and more precision make them a very nice product. If my customer base is any measure, QT will be replacing Lakewood in the marketplace over the next couple of years.

ive been told that the tolerances or clearances which ever way you want to look at it are this,,, the QUICK TIMES are marginal as far as being square at the trans mounting plate, ?? also that now since they are powder coated,which is standard not an option,(i tried to get it un powder coated,,for a ton of B,S. was given to me as far as reasoning,,which isnt imoprtant,,,) as far as fitment QT may be the hot item,but i was told with the powder coating some imput shafts may not reach in to the roller bearing at the torque converter register hole in the crank,,grinding or milling of the trans mounting face may be required,,???????

any one with different information,,lets hear it,,thanks

I'm thinking about one of these for my 66 Barracuda for when I install my hydraulic clutch setup rather than having a stock bellhousing machined to fit the bearing retainer I have to use for my hyd setup.

fstfish66 - are you having problems with your QT bellhousing?

ive been told that the tolerances or clearances which ever way you want to look at it are this,,, the QUICK TIMES are marginal as far as being square at the trans mounting plate, ?? also that now since they are powder coated,which is standard not an option,(i tried to get it un powder coated,,for a ton of B,S. was given to me as far as reasoning,,which isnt imoprtant,,,) as far as fitment QT may be the hot item,but i was told with the powder coating some imput shafts may not reach in to the roller bearing at the torque converter register hole in the crank,,grinding or milling of the trans mounting face may be required,,???????

The power coating is pretty thin.....I hasnt affected the two I have seen, nor do I think it would (6.1hemi/corvette 6spd and BB/ viper 6spd) It looks to be an excellent part and in Jan. 09 when they come out with my current application, I'm buyin

Powder coating is only a few mils thick if done correctly, and shouldn't throw it off far enough to worry about. DeSolv makes a solvent (also sold by Eastwood for just slightly more than gasoline at $59.99 a gallon) called Paint & Powder Coating Remover if you don't want to blast it off.

no im not having problems wit hym quick time,,that project is on the back burnner at the moment,,,

the info i passed along was given to me by a guy at classic mopar 5 speed,,
glad to hear no one is having that problem,,

There is simply no way in this universe that the thickness of powder coating a bell housing will cause the input shaft to back out of the pilot bearing! If this were the case you would only be engaging the pilot bearing by less than 10/1000", which is preposterous. My suspicion is that there was some misunderstanding. The only dimensions that are affected by powder coating to any great degree would be the i.d. of the bolt holes and the dowel pin holes. It is conceivable that is would be difficult to slide the bell onto the dowel pins if the coating was too thick, but I have not had any customers complain about this either. We have sold piles of these things for all kinds of Big3 applications and have a solid track record of happy customers. Just my two cents.

thanks and glad to hear this,, i havent gotten that far,, and was only passing along what i had been told,,what he was trying to say was that the ford tremec input barely reaches the pilot bearing and that the powder coating makes it even farther of a reach, i would of ground or blasted off the powder coating if this was the case,, but i have not gotten that far yet,, thanks for your input

thanks and glad to hear this,, i havent gotten that far,, and was only passing along what i had been told,,what he was trying to say was that the ford tremec input barely reaches the pilot bearing and that the powder coating makes it even farther of a reach, i would of ground or blasted off the powder coating if this was the case,, but i have not gotten that far yet,, thanks for your input

Rather than killing the powder coating or any other such craziness just get an extended length pilot bearing. They stick out of the crank a little farther to compensate for a short input shaft. If you can't find one that fits, have a bronze bushing machined to fit the larger hole where the nose of a torque converter would sit in the crank and simply press a spec Mopar pilot bearing into the bronze. This is a fairly common solution and will move the pilot bearing significantly closer to the input nose. Good luck!

Rather than killing the powder coating or any other such craziness just get an extended length pilot bearing. They stick out of the crank a little farther to compensate for a short input shaft. If you can't find one that fits, have a bronze bushing machined to fit the larger hole where the nose of a torque converter would sit in the crank and simply press a spec Mopar pilot bearing into the bronze. This is a fairly common solution and will move the pilot bearing significantly closer to the input nose. Good luck!

gray,,, thanks il be on touch with you when i resume this project,,thanks for al your support,, nice to see a company following up,,

gray,,, thanks il be on touch with you when i resume this project,,thanks for al your support,, nice to see a company following up,,

No problem! I have seen almost every combination of transmission parts that you can think of, and some you probably can't. It's nice to know some of my experience can help out. Gray

I went to my friends transmission shop and he supplied me with a pilot bearing for a Cummins engine (Dodge 4x4). I think it was an '04. The pilot bearing has a lip or flange face on it that probably extends out 2-3 mils. I'm just guessing at that depth. It goes in just as far as the regular pilot bearing, but the lip gives you a lot more support I believe. Fits nice, can't see it hurting anything.
Daryl

I went to my friends transmission shop and he supplied me with a pilot bearing for a Cummins engine (Dodge 4x4). I think it was an '04. The pilot bearing has a lip or flange face on it that probably extends out 2-3 mils. I'm just guessing at that depth. It goes in just as far as the regular pilot bearing, but the lip gives you a lot more support I believe. Fits nice, can't see it hurting anything.
Daryl

intresting

-
Back