Shaker/5.7 Hemi/65 Dart?

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
That is the combo I want to put together. The car is a 1965 Dodge Dart. Due to the tall intake and carbs, fitment under a stock hood with a 3.5 inch air cleaner is way too high.
So I figure the solution is to go to the shaker hood system and use the gen2 Hemi base plate ,air cleaner and scoop.
Has anyone done this? I am in need of some measurements to figure this out. I need:
Center to center measurement of the Gen 2 Hemi inline carbs.
Air grabber base of flange ( Where the carbs mount) to top of air cleaner measurement
Center of a gen 2 hemi or 440 6 pack crank to the top of the air cleaner
Width and length of the hole I am going to have to cut in the hood
I hope this will work, as I think any other combo would look out of place on this car.
Thanks, Greg

Attachment

Attachments

• 7 14 2013 201.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 462
Your air cleaner lid and scope will be "stock" but your base plate will have to be custom. I used metal where the air cleaner fit and fiberglass for the carb area. For the carb opening I used a metal coffee can and duct tape to get the correct size and then used saran wrap for mold release.

I've seen an early dart with shaker hood on the net somewhere, can't find it right now, think it was a yellow convertible 65

Although this is a 5.9 small block, the box you must build will look just like this. I used the bottom section of a stock air cleaner so it would fit perfectly and sheet metal to surround it. The top shaker should fit completely over it and is screwed down to it... Copy and paste the photo into your photos, so you'll be able to blow it up on your compiuter..

This is what it will look like and if it is any higher, it will look like a turtle in my opinion...

Now, if you will tell me the exact size wheels and tire combo you used, maybe I can find the wheels I would like to use.... Thank you..

Have you thought of grafting a shaker to a hood like Team Hemi Cuda did on Season 3 of Bullrun?

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_3749.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 343
Now, if you will tell me the exact size wheels and tire combo you used, maybe I can find the wheels I would like to use.... Thank you..
The wheels and tires on my Dart are from my 2006 Mustang GT, 18 x 8.5 inch polished factory five spokes, an order item. The tires are 235 front, 255 back. I used a 2000 Ford Exporer rear, moved the springs into the frame to get the room. I would go down to 245s on the back next time so I c lower the car more. They rub when the rear hits a bad bump. On the front due to the 6.3 inch offset the inner rim edge hits the stock A arm in a turn, so a tubular triangular A arm was needed to clear.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. It looks like should spend the $$ on the base of a 1970 chalenger Hemi shaker assembly first, and see how far I can drop the base over the carbs. It has to be modified to fit the Gen 3 carb spacing and size anyway. If that works well and gives me enoug hieght reduction to clear the very high carbs, then I can work on putting the rest of a true shaker assembly together. If not, then a custom home made very low air cleaner and a shaker bubble attached to the hood will have to do.

MuuMuu, Nice... I will be going through that same thing in the near future with one of my Signets this winter with a 5.7

Greg, I hope you realize that the base you want to use may not fit the configuration and design of your hood compared to a 1970 Challenger's hood, whereas yours slopes and the Challenger, oh well, you'll find out...

The hemi Challenger base plate makes a good base to cut up and modify. It is more pricey now then it was when I cut my hemi Cuda base plate. The early carb air cleaner base is a smaller size then the newer carbs and the spacing ends up as different also. Pay attention to the height and be sure to be able to trim the final height correctly. On the 70 Barracuda my hood scoop was attached to the hood and it had a "bathtub" base plate for a Hemi. It was impressive when the hood was opened, but hid every thing under the air cleaner lid. You could not see the 2x4 factory 383 intake(not stock for 1970)

MuuMuu, Nice... I will be going through that same thing in the near future with one of my Signets this winter with a 5.7

It's not mine. It's just one of my favorite 'Cudas. I don't see why you should go through all of the work of modifying a base plate when you could just find a way to attach the shaker to the hood. Just leave the base plate off and have a standard air filter sit underneath the shaker to get the air coming in.

MuuMuu, a Shaker which does not shake is a hood scoop. Evidently Team Hemi hasn't a carburetor and so the shaker was installed just for the look, which I can understand..

In reality, people like to see their motors shake the shaker...

I know this is an old thread was just curious if you did the shaker install yet?? Im in the process of doing it I bought a complete setup from shakerhood.com. They are about an hr from me went down there this week were very helpful. bought everything for a 70 challenger except the hood trim ring is a cuda piece since it will better match my 65 darts center peak. except for having to remove the hood torsion springs wich I wanted to do anyway it bolted on with out any issues. did rought cut of the hood yesterday. today Im going to work on grafted the shaker hood brace in than install the hood trim ring looks bad ***

Attachments

• IMG_20150210_145008772_HDR.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20150210_143443649_HDR.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20150210_143450356.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20150212_172749853.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20150212_172757464.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20150212_172738200.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 194
I decided I didn't want to cut up that great looking hood that just got painted, plus going with a 6.4 variable runner intake is worth huge amounts of torque over what I would have gotten out of the 2x4 deal. Seems like this project takes a new direction on a regular bassis!
Yours looks great, by the way.

-
Back